Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Frosting Recipe?

7 posts in this topic

Hi -

Anyone have a favorite dairy free frosting recipe that isn't chocolate? All the ones I've tried have been a disaster. I've tried a couple subbing Earth Balance for the butter. I don't know if it's something in the way I did it, but it never got a frosting texture. My son's turning 4 in a month and I want to bring cupcakes to his school for him to share, but I'm sure that they'd prefer something non-chocolate b/c of the mess factor. I'm doing vanilla cupcakes so I'm fairly flexible on the flavor except citrus which my son doesn't like.

Thanks!

Ads by Google:

I don't exactly use a recipe but what I make is pretty close to the Wilton recipe. It notes it at the bottom, but you can just substitute shortening for the butter and water for the milk. You could also use any sort of flavoring besides vanilla depending what flavor you want. You may not find a lot of options in the grocery store but baking stores or online shops offer a lot of variety in flavor. My husband loves citrus stuff but it isn't my thing, I enjoy almond and mint flavors or just adding cinnamon and nutmeg. You can also sub peanut butter for the butter (more or less to taste) which is divine.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

I also use a buttercream recipe....I use Spectrum shortening and coconut milk or Vance's Dairy Free. I find I sometimes have to use more confectioner's sugar than recommended to make it thick enough to spread properly. I also use a 7 minute boiled frosting recipe that results in a frosting similar to marshmallow fluff....too ooey and gooey to bring to school, but great for eating at home! Recipe to follow as soon as I locate them.

BASIC BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

2 cups confectioner's sugar

1/4 cup softened Spectrum shortening

small amount of water or milk substitute

flavoring of choice, clear vanilla, peppermint, coconut, etc.

Beat all with hand mixer on low speed until mixed, then beat on medium speed until creamy and smooth. If needed, add more confectioner's sugar to desired consistency.This will frost about 15 cupcakes.

VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

2 cups confectioner's sugar

1/2 cup Spectrum or Earth Balance, softened but not melted

1 1/2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract

4 to 6 Tablespoons milk substitute

In a large bowl with mixer at low-medium speed, beat sugar, butter substitute, vanilla and 4 Tablespoons milk substitute until blended. Increase speed to medium high, beat until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in more milk substitute or sugar as needed for easy spreading consistency.

MAPLE FLAVORED BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 cup confectioner's sugar

2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 Tablespoon milk substitute

tiny pinch of nutmeg

Beat on low speed until smooth...add more milk 1 Tablespoon at a time as needed until smooth and creamy. Taste test and add more nutmeg if desired. Beat on medium speed 3-4 minutes.

SEVEN MINUTE BOILED FROSTING

makes a large amount, good for whoopie pies, hot chocolate topping, makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes or one 2 layer cake.This is the consistency of marshmallow fluff

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

pinch of salt

1/4 cup cold water

2 egg whites, room temperature

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Place sugar, cream of tartar, salt, water and egg whites in the top of a double boiler or heat proof bowl. Beat ingredients with a hand held electric mixer for 1 minute to combine.

2. Place the pan or bowl over boiling water....be sure the water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. Beat constantly on high speed for 7 minutes until the mixture is the consistency of frosting and forms stiff peaks.

3. Remove from heat and beat in vanilla. Makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes or one 2 layer cake.

SEVEN MINUTE FROSTING (from Fanny Farmer cookbook)

In the top of a double boiler mix:

3/4 cup granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons water

1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 teaspoon light corn syrup

few grains salt

1 egg white

1/2 teaspoon vanilla (to be added later)

Beat 1 minute with rotary or electric mixer. Set over boiling water and beat until stiff enough to stand up in peaks. The frosting may be stiff enough in 4 minutes with electric mixer.Remove from the heat and continue beating until thick enough to spread. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.

So for those who use the Spectrum shortening ... does your frosting taste too much like shortening? One of my frosting disasters used it and I loved the texture, but I definitely tasted the shortening ... as I look at these recipes, I'm wondering if it's the sweetener I used. I used honey, and now I'm thinking that maybe it was both that and that I didn't add enough.

So for those who use the Spectrum shortening ... does your frosting taste too much like shortening? One of my frosting disasters used it and I loved the texture, but I definitely tasted the shortening ... as I look at these recipes, I'm wondering if it's the sweetener I used. I used honey, and now I'm thinking that maybe it was both that and that I didn't add enough.

I have never tasted the shortening in the frosting, but......I did have one Spectrum failure and had to dump the whole thing out....the shortening was old and did not incorporate with the other ingredients....it looked like curdled milk.

Spectrum now makes a butter flavor shortening, and I have it but have not tried it...I've only seen it in one store and purchased it because my special diet foods are hard to come by when I am traveling. I like my white frosting to be white, and not yellow-ey looking if possible. I like to put coconut or sprinkles on top---yummy.