This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Son Wants To Go To A Movie This Weekend

lichjen

lichjen Rookie

can I have any of the treats there (besides the boxed (non cookied) candy

normally we don't go to movies - I told him it depended on money esp with rent and electric due (gosh the last time we went to a movie at the theatre was the Simpsons movie and before that was Men in Black II so we don't go often LOL so he has been ONCE his whole life)

so he would like popcorn - I know I do NOT have the will power to say NO to movie theater popcorn if it is RIGHT THERE saying EAT ME - and then on the screen going UH EAT ME LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

YoloGx Rookie

can I have any of the treats there (besides the boxed (non cookied) candy

normally we don't go to movies - I told him it depended on money esp with rent and electric due (gosh the last time we went to a movie at the theatre was the Simpsons movie and before that was Men in Black II so we don't go often LOL so he has been ONCE his whole life)

so he would like popcorn - I know I do NOT have the will power to say NO to movie theater popcorn if it is RIGHT THERE saying EAT ME - and then on the screen going UH EAT ME LOL

I suggest you call first to see if what they put in it is OK or not or if there is likely CC. If its likely not OK for him, I suggest you bring your own bag of home made popcorn stuffed in a large purse or a regular kid's back pack. Getting sick just to fit in is not a fun way to spend the weekend. It will be dark. No one will see.

Bea

Adalaide Mentor

I covered myself the first time I went to a movie. I called ahead and spoke with the manager telling him that because they serve hot dogs and many other gluten containing foods that I can not purchase their popcorn. Heck, the box of Gobstoppers I had said they were manufactured in a facility with wheat so I told him that I can't even have a significant amount of the candy they sell. He said that it wouldn't be a problem for me to bring my own popcorn and that's exactly what I did. When the person who checks tickets said I couldn't bring it in I simply told him that the manager said it was fine. If they give you crap tell them that celiac is protected under the ADA. All a manager needs to hear are those three letters to shut up and do whatever they have to to avoid a lawsuit. (No, I don't like throwing that around but I'll be damned if I have to see a movie without popcorn just because I can't trust them to make it for me.)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I go to the movies once or twice a year. When I first went to one I asked to see the popcorn oil and they were nice enough to bring it out for me. Long story short the popcorn oil was safe but I do skip the butter flavored stuff that gets poured on it. We can't get a real person on the phone just a recording so I went in early before they got busy to ask.

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter has not had an issue with movie theater popcorn . . . but she is not overly sensitive.

However, if money is tight you may want to skip the theater popcorn. It is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. I took my daughter and her friend to the movies two weeks ago and the popcorn and soda were more expesive than the matinee priced movie tickets.

When we go to the movies "on the cheap", I take a big purse and take each kid a movie-sized box of candy ($1 a box at Wal-Mart vs $4 to $5) at the movies. I take a couple of sandwich bags of popcorn made from home (and let's face it, I am the one that eats most of the popcorn and I don't need it). I pack a couple of small plastic cups for soda. We buy one soda and I use it as a pitcher and pour everyone small cups once inside the theater because quite frankly, the sodas are outrageously expensive as well and huge!! What 10 year old needs a 32 ounce root beer? It just means we'll have to get up during the middle of the movie to hit the restroom.

kareng Grand Master

here's an article about movie popcorn. I have seen other articles like this. It seems it's safe unless they somehow get hotdog bun in it.

Open Original Shared Link

Kjas Newbie

I always buy beforehand and bring stuff in with me, it's safer and way cheaper. If they ask, I tell them I have celiac disease and therefore I need to know my food is safe. Nobody has ever argued, especially if you call beforehand and let them know and get the manger to okay it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lichjen Rookie

thanks for the tips guys! hey since I've been 7 days with the new lifestyle this board has been very helpful! :)

upwitht21 Rookie

We bring food in and have never had a problem.

sariesue Explorer

I just buy the popcorn or candy that I know is gluten free and I haven't had a problem with it. Just check to see the ingredients. In the 3 movie theaters that I go to the popcorn is far away from the things like the nachos and hot dogs. So CC is fairly limited. And the nacho chip stuff is all prepackaged and when they serve hot dogs they use disposable gloves. Personally, I don't see it as being less safe than food coming from a facility that also contains wheat. Or eating at a house like mine that has a shared kitchen.

But, if you are really that concerned wait two months and rent the DVD from Redbox for 1$ and get a bag of microwave popcorn you trust. That will cost like 5 dollars for the 2 or even more of you instead of the 40 it will cost for tickets, sodas and popcorn at the theater.

Monael Apprentice

What I usually do is eat a nice meal before going to the movies so that I am not tempted to eat a bunch of candy. That way I am too full to even consider it. My son doesn't even ask me to buy him anything because he is not hungry either.

maximoo Enthusiast

We go to the second run theater where the price is either $1 or $4 depending on the day. Due to the outrageously priced items I have always brought my own snacks/drinks for me & the kids. However DD really loves movie popcorn & I will splurge on a $5 small that is really worth .25 cents. lol There is no chance of cc as far as I can see. The popcorn is scooped straight into the bag & butter poured.

Archived