This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Foods In Los Angeles - New Gf Items!

Merika

Merika Contributor

Whole Foods in West Hollywood, CA is now carrying fresh gluten-free bakery items!! Here is an email I received from them listing their new products - let's go support them :)

Merika

* 987859 WHOLEFOODS BREAD-CORN/gluten-free 18 OZ ACTIVE 120

* 987867 WHOLEFOODS BREAD-BANANA/gluten-free 1 LB 2OZ ACTIVE 120

* 987883 WHOLEFOODS BISCUITS-CREAM/gluten-free 10 OZ ACTIVE 104

* 987909 WHOLEFOODS SCONES-CRAN/ORNAGE-gluten-free 12 OZ ACTIVE 104

* 987925 WHOLEFOODS BROWNIES-WALNUTS/gluten-free 1 LB 120

* 987941 WHOLEFOODS COOKIES-CHOC CHIP/gluten-free 12 OZ 104

* 987958 WHOLEFOODS COOKIES-PEANUT BUTTER/gluten-free 12 OZ 104

* 987966 WHOLEFOODS COOKIES-MOLASSAS GINGER/GF12OZ 104

* 987974 WHOLEFOODS CAKE-CARROT/gluten-free 1 LB 2OZ 120

* 988105 WHOLEFOODS PIE-APPLE/gluten-free 1 LB 120

* 988113 WHOLEFOODS PIE-CHERRY/gluten-free 1 LB 120

* 988139 WHOLEFOODS PIE-SOUTHERN PECAN/gluten-free 1 LB 120

* 988147 WHOLEFOODS BREAD-SANDWICH/gluten-free 28 OZ 256

* 988154 WHOLEFOODS BREAD-PRAIRIE/gluten-free 28 OZ 256

* 988162 WHOLEFOODS BREAD-CINNAMON RAISIN/gluten-free 28 OZ ACTIVE 128

* 988170 WHOLEFOODS BREAD-SUN DRI TOM&GRLC/GF28 OZ ACTIVE 128

* 988188 WHOLEFOODS PIZZA CRUST-gluten-free 1 LB 8OZ ACTIVE 128

* 988196 WHOLEFOODS MUFFINS-BLUEBERRY/gluten-free 1 LB KAR ACTIVE 120

· 988212 WHOLEFOODS MUFFINS-CHERRY ALMOND/gluten-free 1

Here is a list of the new Gluten Free Bakehouse items that will be permanent items in the Bakery Department. This isn’t really a list that is meant for public view so, if you have any questions about what a listing is…gimme a call.

Thanks for shopping with us!

Dino

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

My Wholefoods just got in their bakery products today!!!! I toasted the heel of the bread to try it out before serving my kids and it was so good. I can't believe it's taken four years to get this bread. It's so good. I also got blueberry muffins, chocolate chip cookies and cherry almond streusel. I can only hope they're as good as the bread! :P

tarnalberry Community Regular

Whoohoo! :-)

Now how many of those are free of dairy as well? I heard many of them had milk...

skbird Contributor

Or potato-free? Oh well, I guess I need to find out if the Sacramento store is getting this in, now, too. I'd heard it would be around October for California stores... worth checking out!

Stephanie

elonwy Enthusiast

I got the prairie bread ( oh the joy of crunchy grainy bread) and a mini pecan pie. The bread was 8 bucks and the pie twelve. I really really hope that pie is good. It was so exciting to see the new labels!

The bread has dairy, I didn't check the pie and its hidden in the back of my fridge with a big shiny shark sticker on it.

Yay for whole foods!

Elonwy

Mjohnson73 Apprentice

are all whole foods doing this? or is it just certain ones? I am on the East Coast and the ones that you are all saying look like they are on the west coast....(a little far to drive to get bread)

--Maya

PicturePerfect Explorer
are all whole foods doing this? or is it just certain ones? I am on the East Coast and the ones that you are all saying look like they are on the west coast....(a little far to drive to get bread)

--Maya

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It started over on the east coast... go to Open Original Shared Link and click on your state.

I just got it at my Whole Foods too!! The high point of my day!! :P

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluelotus Contributor

I know that Whole Foods in Atlanta does carry these gluten-free items. However, in respone to an earlier question, they do not appear to be dairy or egg free. Not sure about potatoes. I wrote to the cooperation about this, telling them I appreciated what they were doing, but hoping they may consider other allergies as well....... We'll see.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

The cherry almond muffins are great and the blueberry are equally as great. The white bread was better than Kinnikinnick in some ways (not big enough, and cut too thick for kid's sandwiches - made excellent french toast) But...Price sucks. The bread was $7.00 I just won't pay that much for bread. The muffins were $7.19 and I'll do that for weekend breakfast treat, but not for average, everyday type of breakfast meals. I feel like Wholefoods is very comfortable doing what the gas companies do...gouging needy customers. Since a gluten free diet is essential to a celiac's health, WholeFoods and others like them are simply being opportunistic in a crisis with a huge financial gain for themselves.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Great! It started in the SE...then got to the NE (ME!) and worked its way west. The pies are great, but try the sandwich bread and you will never be able to look at another Kinnikinick, Ener-G, or any-other-brand-besides-Whole-Foods loaf.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Maya, Most of the Whole Foods on the east coast have these items already. I really love them too however they are expensive, I only buy them once in a great while because in our store most items are just under $7. a lot of money for a loaf of bread. I'm pretty sure most have dairy in them and they all can contain nuts.

My only other complaint is that some of them seem to mildew quickly, the pizza crust has gotten mildew on it by the second day and this has happened to me twice now. But they are really good tasting. Also our Whole Foods doesn't have that many or maybe they sell out really quick, they have a tiny rack for all the gluten free stuff (including other brands not just whole foods) and often when I go there its only got 1 of item on it of maybe 6 different things. So for example, there will be one corn bread, 1 pizza crust, 1 box of cookies, etc. They never have much on the rack.

Susan :huh:

PicturePerfect Explorer
The pies are great, but try the sandwich bread and you will never be able to look at another Kinnikinick, Ener-G, or any-other-brand-besides-Whole-Foods loaf.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Completely agree!

My only other complaint is that some of them seem to mildew quickly, the pizza crust has gotten mildew on it by the second day and this has happened to me twice now.

Was the pizza crust frozen in Whole Foods and at your home?

Plus, make sure that it is fresh.

Lisa

mouse Enthusiast

My husband and I love the apple pie. It was small and cost over $6.00, but we both agreed that it was worth it. It is so sweet that we have gotton 6 small slices from it - so it lasted for three after dinner deserts. Next time we go, we plan on stocking up and freezing them. The price of gas to and from is worse then the cost of the pie. I have not tried the bread yet, but did buy one and put it in the freezer. Still working on a K loaf I have. I did not buy the pizza crust as I just order Chebe's and will try theirs first. By, the way, my husband is not Celiac and thought the pie was really tasty.

Armetta

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Whole foods gluten-free stuff is brought into the store frozen... I've found that if I get to the store and they are out of corn bread if I ask at the bakery they will go on the back freezer and bring some out for me (if they have it I often buy about 6 at a time because Whole Foods is about 45 minutes away from me so I stock up).

So often when I get the pizza its frozen, I take it home put it on the counter and a day or 2 later its mildew. There are 2 crusts in the bag, I usually eat the first one that day but the second one is usually totally mildew by day 2.

Susan

Bette Explorer
Great!  It started in the SE...then got to the NE (ME!) and worked its way west.  The pies are great, but try the sandwich bread and you will never be able to look at another Kinnikinick, Ener-G, or any-other-brand-besides-Whole-Foods loaf.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey celiac3270,

Our Whole foods Market just started to carry the Bakehouse products this week. Yeah!!!

I was so excited for Kayla (dragon queen) when I saw their sandwich bread. She has not had a decent sandwich bread, that we have been able to find so far for lunches and thus has just gone without.

I bought a loaf yesterday, tasted myself. You are right, it simply taste sooo much better.But they do seem a little thick and still on the dry side. Do you toast yours first before making the sandwich or do you make sandwiches just like regular gluten sandwich bread?Whats the trick to compensate for the dryness?

Bette

PicturePerfect Explorer
So often when I get the pizza its frozen, I take it home put it on the counter and a day or 2 later its mildew.  There are 2 crusts in the bag, I usually eat the first one that day but the second one is usually totally mildew by day 2.

Susan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Put it in your freezer when you get home. Then just take it out a couple hours before you cook it. It seems to have worked for me.. but maybe I was just lucky :huh:

Lisa

celiac3270 Collaborator

The only negative for me about the bread is that it's a little thick. I personally don't toast it for sandwiches, but experiment and see what works the best for you!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

The bread IS thick. It makes excellent french toast.

uclangel422 Apprentice

I just read that Whole Foods in Northridge is having a celiac awareness day this wednesday where there will be product samples, displays and some portion of the day's product sales will go towards the celiac foundation. It is on their website with times if you are interested.

PicturePerfect Explorer
:) read below.. i messed up :D
PicturePerfect Explorer
But they do seem a little thick and still on the dry side. Do you toast yours first before making the sandwich or do you make sandwiches just like regular gluten sandwich bread?Whats the trick to compensate for the dryness?

Since its so dry, I just have a glass of milk or water close by! :P

Lisa

gf4life Enthusiast

They are only in Southern California at this time. :( I hope they get to Fresno soon. I feel like I have been waiting forever! I'll be going to Whole Foods later this week and I'll have to ask them again when they might be getting the bakery items. Right now the only gluten-free items I can get at the bakery is a flourless chocolate cake for $25 that serves 8, and some chocolate macaroons. But I worry about cross contamination since they aren't made in a dedicated gluten-free facility...

God bless,

Mariann

elonwy Enthusiast

I just want to say that 12 bucks for a little pecan pie was totally worth it. I'm not gonna get the little pies all the time, its definitly a splurge item, but man eating a peice of pie with whop cream on top made me feel so normal.

That one has a big shiny shark on it. :P

Elonwy

Archived