This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Brand Of Rice Do You Use?

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

What do other super sensitives use for rice? I recently bought Lundberg Sweet Brown Rice. It's good but so expensive!! Also, does anyone know if Sams Club sells Lundberg?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

What do other super sensitives use for rice? I recently bought Lundberg Sweet Brown Rice. It's good but so expensive!! Also, does anyone know if Sams Club sells Lundberg?

Any main stream unseasoned grocery store rice would work.

GFreeMO Proficient

Any main stream grocery store rice would work.

Oh..whoops...I have a severe corn allergy so I have to have a corn free one so the enriched rice at the grocery store wont work. The only brown unenriched rice I have seen in my store is Mahatma and I think it's cc with corn.

Lisa Mentor

I think it's cc with corn.

There would not be any cross contamination in the field, due to the vast difference in the growing environments.

Is rice enriched with corn?

Jestgar Rising Star

Is corn cc washable from rice? I would think that cc might be variable from batch to batch, and if you had a washing method you trusted, it might be worthwhile just to wash the rice every time.

GFreeMO Proficient

Enriched rice is enriched with corn. The enrichment is sprayed on with corn starch. Things such as this make corn allergies really hard to live with because most of the time it is not listed on the label.

For me, with my corn reaction trying to rinse the corn off would be the same as trying to wash gluten off of something.

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

Enrichment

Over 70% of the white rice consumed in the United States is enriched. Rice naturally contains thiamin, niacin, and iron. However, during the milling process, the quantities of these nutrients are reduced. To bring the nutritional value of the milled product up to that of whole grain (brown), rice is enriched with thiamin, niacin, and iron. All enriched rice is additionally fortified with folic acid. The fortification of folic acid in all enriched grain-based products became law in January 1998. Enrichment levels of these nutrients, which are specified by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, provide for a minimum of 2 milligrams thiamin, 13 milligrams iron, 16 milligrams niacin, and 0.7 milligrams folic acid per pound of raw rice.

The enrichment mixture is applied to rice as a coating. Therefore, it is recommended that rice not be rinsed before or after cooking and not be cooked in excessive amounts of water and then drained. The enrichment and other water-soluble vitamins and minerals would be lost.

Six states have laws that require enrichment of all milled rice: Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, New York, and South Carolina. However, enriched rice is readily available in all states.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Right, the coating they talk about is corn.

Jestgar Rising Star

So you need a company that doesn't sell any enriched products, or processes the enriched stuff in a different plant? Boy, that's a tough one.

GFreeMO Proficient

Just got this from Lundberg. I guess it's well worth the extra cost!!!

Dear Valued Consumer,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Lundberg Family Farms it is very important to us to hear from our valued consumers. We do not enrich any of our rice varieties additionally; the facility is free of corn.

Thank you,

Di2011 Enthusiast

I'm in Australia so product availability seems to be different. I am sensitive due to my DH. I have tested many "enriched" products much to my skins distress.

I now stick to rice only ingredient list that are sourced from Thailand. Here in Aus we have many of these and Thailand doesn't have a history of want/need/forced introduction of wheat based ingredients. Thai rice, thai rice noodles etc have been my saviour for staple food.

All of this has been a long journey of experiment and failure. The Thai product for me (available in abundance here in Aus) had been my only starch staple I've been able to rely on apart from fresh potato.

dws Contributor

I'm in Australia so product availability seems to be different. I am sensitive due to my DH. I have tested many "enriched" products much to my skins distress.

I now stick to rice only ingredient list that are sourced from Thailand. Here in Aus we have many of these and Thailand doesn't have a history of want/need/forced introduction of wheat based ingredients. Thai rice, thai rice noodles etc have been my saviour for staple food.

All of this has been a long journey of experiment and failure. The Thai product for me (available in abundance here in Aus) had been my only starch staple I've been able to rely on apart from fresh potato.

Do you use any of the Thai rice flours? If so, what brand? How about potato starch? If I could do well with those 2 ingredients, a lot would open up for me as far as baking options. Thanks, Dave
benXX Rookie

Do you use any of the Thai rice flours? If so, what brand? How about potato starch? ...

I use Rice flour from Thai World Imort & Export Co. Ltd.

In stead of potato starch I use Tapioca from the same company.

I use Glutinous Rice flour from Kridsasa Foods Co. Ltd for some desserts.

As long as it comes packet from Thailand, I don't really care about the brand, as cc in Thailand is highly unlikely.

Last April I was in Thailand, ate everywhere, so who knows which brands I've consumed. Never got glutened there.

IrishHeart Veteran

I use Lundberg.

T.H. Community Regular

.. potato starch? If I could do well with those 2 ingredients, a lot would open up for me as far as baking options. Thanks, Dave

If you're having a hard time finding processed potato starch that works for you, it's actually really easy to make it yourself, if you're interested.

Open Original Shared Link

SensitiveMe Rookie

I am using Lundberg now...thanks to you :)

I also can't have corn and thank you for starting this post as I was unaware of rice possibly being treated with corn. And I am intending to soon make my own rice flour and rick milk.

For rice at meals I have been using A Taste of Thai Jasmine Rice...very yummy but about $4 for a bit over a lb. of it.

I saw Lundberg for the first time yesterday at ShopRite and got some. They only had 2 kinds -- Short Grain Brown Rice @ 3.79 for 2 lb. and California White Basmati @ 4.49 for 2 lb.

Thanks again. All corn avoiding posts are appreciated as I am fairly new at this.

GFreeMO Proficient

I am using Lundberg now...thanks to you :)

I also can't have corn and thank you for starting this post as I was unaware of rice possibly being treated with corn. And I am intending to soon make my own rice flour and rick milk.

For rice at meals I have been using A Taste of Thai Jasmine Rice...very yummy but about $4 for a bit over a lb. of it.

I saw Lundberg for the first time yesterday at ShopRite and got some. They only had 2 kinds -- Short Grain Brown Rice @ 3.79 for 2 lb. and California White Basmati @ 4.49 for 2 lb.

Thanks again. All corn avoiding posts are appreciated as I am fairly new at this.

Uncle Ben's plain ol' white rice is corn free too. I had it this morning for breakfast with brown sugar and apples. It's cheap and easy to find. I called the company and they assured me that it is corn free. Lundberg is good too but it's soooo expensive. :)

Archived