This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Salad And Salad Dressings

kareng

kareng Grand Master

I thought it would be nice to make a thread to keep all the cold salad & salad dressings recipes in one place. If we had this before, I didn't find it, but we could combine them. If someone wants your recipe in another discussion, post it here. If there is a dressing you want to make, ask here & someone will have it.

I'll start with this yummy and spicy dressing I had today. Good with grilled chicken and mandarin oranges or pineapple and crushed peanuts on the salad.

Spicy Peanut Dressing

4 tbsp smooth peanut butter

2 Tbsp oil (olive, corn, etc)

3 teasp toasted seasame oil

2 teasp rice vinegar

4 teasp white wine vinegar

4 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce

1 teasp ground red pepper (cayenne)

2 tbsp chopped cilantro

2 tbsp chopped green onion

2 Tbsp sugar

Put the PB and oils and vinegars in a bowl or jar with a tight fitting lid. Stir them well. Add the rest. Put lid on and shake. Let sit on counter for at least 2 hours, shaking when you think of it.

This is very thick. Could thin it with more oil or maybe some orange juice or water. Makes enough for about 3 green entree salads.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Good Idea, K!

Here is a nice salad my friend Sara gave to me back in 1994.

Bluegrass Salad

Makes 4 servings.

Whisk together:

2 TBLSP. red wine vinegar

2 TBLSP. coarse-grained mustard

1 TBLSP. gluten-free soy sauce ( San J Organic Tamari is good)

1 TBLSP. honey

1 garlic clove, minced

Gradually whisk in:

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cook: (sorry, we have to put the stove on for a bit)

12 asparagus spears

Cut into 2 inch pieces--cook about 4 minutes in lightly salted water. Drain and plunge into cold water and drain again.

Combine in a salad bowl:

1 head Bibb leattue

2 oranges, peel and pith removed, sliced into rounds

1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

**optional additions --which taste really GOOD and will provide more PROTEIN!

1/4 cup diced ham and

1/4 cup diced cheddar cheese

Toss with enough dressing to coat.

Sprinkle asparagus on top.

Mizzo Enthusiast

Black bean salad

1/4 c. olive oil

2 tsp Italian spices

1-2 tsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp salt

mix well pour over

cold:

1 can Black beans

1 box frozen Corn

1/4 each red and green pepper diced

1/4 onion diced

adjust amount of dressing to veggie salad to taste

purple Community Regular

Jicama Spinach Salad

Open Original Shared Link

This ones very healthy and the dressing is good on any green salad.

Add nuts if desired.

I make it with stawberries.

Heres another healthy salad:

Southwestern Coleslaw

kareng Grand Master

Does anyone have a yummy lemon or lime salad dressing recipe? The cafeteria at Hubs work used to make one but no one left there knows the recipe. It did involve gallons and quarts, so not good for home use.

purple Community Regular

Does anyone have a yummy lemon or lime salad dressing recipe? The cafeteria at Hubs work used to make one but no one left there knows the recipe. It did evolve gallons and quarts, so not good for home use.

I'm not sure what you are looking for but the jicama salad I posted above has a lime honey dressing thats good, you could just increase the recipe.

love2travel Mentor

Does anyone have a yummy lemon or lime salad dressing recipe? The cafeteria at Hubs work used to make one but no one left there knows the recipe. It did evolve gallons and quarts, so not good for home use.

Lots. This is one of my favourites (lemon caper). Delicious on fish and seafood, too:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

great idea, karen!

i was just going to google for ideas for a red cabbage n carrot salad to make with our grilled chicken breasts for tonite's dinner. red cabbage is going to kill me :) still have 3 heads left!!!!!!

here is a super simple ranch dressing that i made last week - it was very yummy w/raw veggies:

1 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 teaspoon dried chives

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

kareng Grand Master

This one is good, too. I think it would be good with corn pasta. Add extra veggies if desired. Double chicken for an entr

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Does anyone have a yummy lemon or lime salad dressing recipe? The cafeteria at Hubs work used to make one but no one left there knows the recipe. It did involve gallons and quarts, so not good for home use.

I don't really have measurements but I do a lemon thyme dressing: fresh thyme, lemon juice, minced garlic, dijon or coarse, olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes I add apple cider vinegar or other herbs - just depends on what I have around.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Karen (or anyone else),

Have you actually made a gluten free pasta salad? I know that I sometimes refrigerate cooked (unsauced) pasta that I will heat up (in water) a day or two later. My refrigerated gluten free pasta is pretty hard. I wouldn't think it would do well as a pasta salad . . . but I have never actually tried it. Is it a matter of having the right sauce/dressing? . . . or pasta made from the "right" gluten free grain? . . . or only pasta that hasn't been refrigerated?

Adalaide Mentor

I make macaroni salad with penne all the time. I just use the brown rice pasta I buy in bulk. I undercook it just a bit and add extra dressing to it. The noodles sop up the extra dressing and flavor but don't get soggy. It was pretty trial and error getting the ratio right, it's pretty wet going in the fridge and definitely needs to be made a few hours ahead of time.

kareng Grand Master

I just made some with Tinkyada spirals. I rinse them with cool water, shake the water off, then put Italian dressing on them and cheese, cukes, etc. Comes out great. Pasta isn't hard at all. I'm going to try a corn pasta on the Santa Fe pasta recipe. I find the rice pasta gets mushy when sauced not hard.

IrishHeart Veteran

I just made some with Tinkyada spirals. I rinse them with cool water, shake the water off, then put Italian dressing on them and cheese, cukes, etc. Comes out great. Pasta isn't hard at all. I'm going to try a corn pasta on the Santa Fe pasta recipe. I find the rice pasta gets mushy when sauced not hard.

Same here.

I only cook the Tinkyada 13 mins. (my cousin's wife gave me that tip after I complained they were too wimpy when I first tried them)

I like corn pasta for alfredo and "sturdier" meat and tomato-based sauces.

Rice pasta works okay for me in everything else--- like the salad with Italian dressing and veggies. (I think we make the same pasta salad, K)

It may need a little extra dressing splashed on it the next day (but that happened in the "old days" too)

Darn210 Enthusiast

But are you eating the pasta salad pretty much immediately? Have you ever refrigerated it overnight? My old gluten recipe, I made the pasta salad the day before so that all the ingredients/dressing/flavors would meld.

kareng Grand Master

But are you eating the pasta salad pretty much immediately? Have you ever refrigerated it overnight? My old gluten recipe, I made the pasta salad the day before so that all the ingredients/dressing/flavors would meld.

Usually, I make it in the a.m. For dinner at night. We find the next day it's starts to fall apart but still tastes good. My parents were eating it for 2 days and thought it was good the second day. Another of my sneaky plans to get more calories in my mom- used full fat and oil Italian dressing on hers and extra salami. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

Another of my sneaky plans to get more calories in my mom- used full fat and oil Italian dressing on hers and extra salami. :ph34r:

Good idea, K!

(and that could explain MY tight pants....aha, the salami....)

Yeah, it is not really as "good" the second day, but I gave it a little dash of dressing and it perked up enough.

sora Community Regular

I call this my KISS dressing, it's great for roasted beet salad.

1 olive oil

1/3 Balsamic vinegar

A good size dollop of grainy mustard.

It's good on warm or cold beets.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have found with the rice pasta that I need twice as much dressing as I think i do, and it will be fine the next day. Mine always gets harder with time.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I'm glad I saw this thread, I was just saying to my mom today that I'd love to have a new salad recipe! Thanks ladies! I don't really have anything fancy salad wise but I did make a yummy Italian pasta salad today.

I'm not much for measuring so here it is:

Italian pasta salad

1 bag gluten-free pasta (I use elbows usually)

1/2 pkg pepperoni chopped small

1tomato chopped

1cucumber chopped

Cheddar cheese chopped to taste( 1/2 block perhaps)

Italian dressing- I use Kens gluten-free. Enough to season salad to your liking

Salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients together( I make a couple hours ahead of eating to let everything mix together)

Wicked easy, and pretty basic lol

Archived