Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Not Lose! Just A Little Venting Among Friends...

• Please log in to reply

21 replies to this topic

#16 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Actually, yes. My doc did a RT3 a while back, and though my ratio wasn't high enough for my doc to want to do anything about it, it was higher than the RT3 lady (whose name I can't think of) who runs an RT3 group recommends. I can't remember the numbers, but it WAS high enough to be problematic!

Have you done anything to work on that? Did you ever try the T3-only protocol? I'm wanting to do it, but need to uncomplicate some other stuff in my life first!

Well, my rt3 ratio and level is high but my ND has been very disappointing regarding this. She calls it Wilson's Syndrome but keeps harping on my adrenals. I am of the philosophy (after reading about this stuff for years, and living through it) that the thyroid and adrenals work together (she agrees). Where we differ is that one can't improve one (in this case adrenals) to "normal" (at least for me) without incrementally working on the other. She wants to "cure my adrenals" and I think they are as "cured" as they're going to get until we address some thyroid issues (high rt3 that contributes to me not utilizing my thyroid meds properly).

So, this time after MUCH discussion I got her to prescribe Naturethroid (which I have done very well on in the past) instead of compounded t3/t4. I am taking almost half a dose (while I search for a new ND) in hopes that my rt3 levels will fall (since less t4 is going in). If this doesn't work I am asking for t3 only therapy (for the 3 or so months it takes to drop rt3).

Part of the problem is low d and iron (for me). My levels are not optimal to convert t4/t3... but after a YEAR of supplementing and being gluten-free my levels not rising dramatically. They are rising. Just not fast enough to relieve the possible thyroid issues.

So what do I do? Have thyroid issues for 2 years while my iron and d rise???

Anyway, shopping for a new ND.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 anabananakins

anabananakins

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

What sort of food are you eating? For me it's not totally the calories I eat but what I'm eating. I eat meat, vegies, a bit of fruit, fats and oils. About 1700- 1800 calories. If I ate low fat yoghurt, pasta, crackers, stuff like that, I would be starving and wouldn't last more than a few days on that calorie level.

#18 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Yes, fatty meat is important! I do eat it. And wonderful, yummy coconut oil. And that heavenly fruit, avocados! My daughter keeps reminding me that if we cut our calories TOO severely, we actually send our body into starvation mode and the low calories hurt more than help!

Thank heaven you understood all that and were able to help your mom! I'm glad she was able to have some success!

I'm just going to hang in and know I'm doing the right thing. I remind myself that healing takes time. Months and years. I feel so much better, so it takes a lot of the discouragement away!

Well, yeah, my Mom's only issue was weight gain. We're 95% sure I got Celiac from my daddy, she's been virtually gluten free for a long time because of living with me and then my grandmother in FL, but shows no reactions when she does eat it, and has none of the symptoms. So her weight loss wasn't also all wrapped up in healing her system, it was just a metabolism correction that needed to happen. It was her starving herself, not Celiac starving her.

Isn't it nice that you feel so much better that you CAN worry about something else? I love that feeling! Like I need to start freaking working out, because I am used to being a very strong person and I'm so weak right now. Irritates me, I wanna be able to move my own furniture! And isn't it wonderful that I feel good enough to think that way?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#19 lil'chefy

lil'chefy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've been gluten free since May, with one stumble in August.

I've been pretty much primal for about 3 weeks now. I've been cutting calories, increasing exercise, and cannot lose an ounce! I piled on 15 pounds in three months while gluten loading for a blood test last winter/spring.

Three weeks ago I weighed in at 180 pounds, this morning I am still 180 pounds! I am 5' 6.5" tall.

I checked with online diet calculators and I'm averaging about 1200 calories a day.

I do not snack. I don't even use dressing on my salad! It is getting quite depressing.

Ugh. Thanks for listening. I just want to cry!

Same thing has been going on with me. You should have a saliva test done of your hormones (testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA) I just had mine checked and they were really way off. Eating gluten for years, when you shouldn't throws off your body's chemistry. I am on compounded bio-identical hormone therapy now; we will see if it helps. By the way, is your weight gain primarily around your middle? If so, you can almost be certain that it is hormonal!

#20 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Same thing has been going on with me. You should have a saliva test done of your hormones (testosterone, estrogen, progesterone, and DHEA) I just had mine checked and they were really way off. Eating gluten for years, when you shouldn't throws off your body's chemistry. I am on compounded bio-identical hormone therapy now; we will see if it helps. By the way, is your weight gain primarily around your middle? If so, you can almost be certain that it is hormonal!

Thankfully my weight is spread out proportionally around my body. Not in the middle. But I'm going to ask my doc to check hormones, I'll bet I'm way off since I've been 'paused for 9 years.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#21 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

As to the cutting calories to low, keep in mind everyone is different. When my metabolism was tested two yrs ago, my basal rate was 1400ish. Meaning if I stayed in bed my body would need that much to keep me alive and healthy. So to me 1200 would throw me into starvation even though all the calculators say it wouldn't.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#22 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

As to the cutting calories to low, keep in mind everyone is different. When my metabolism was tested two yrs ago, my basal rate was 1400ish. Meaning if I stayed in bed my body would need that much to keep me alive and healthy. So to me 1200 would throw me into starvation even though all the calculators say it wouldn't.

How do they test your basal metabolism? I've heard people talk about it, but never heard how it's done!
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: