8 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs.Stark

Mrs.Stark

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hi everyone, I started gluten free yesterday. I'm convinced this may be what has caused me a few problems. I've always had extremely irregular periods and it didn't even start till I was nearly 18. After eating bready especially bagels I would have severe stomach cramping. My hair grows at a much slower rate than others and i'm having trouble losing weight. I have only been gluten-free for 1 day and have dropped 2 lbs.I was not calorie restrictive at all. I hope its not a coincidence because that is a lot for me. I'm also more tired than usual today. Anyone else have these symptoms? Is one day to fast to see any results? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Make sure you get your thyroid checked. It can cause late puberty and hair issues.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,769 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

Welcome to the board. The first thing I am going to ask is if you have been tested for celiac. If you haven't it would be a good idea to get tested before you start the diet. You can call your doctor and ask for a lab slip for a celiac panel if your doctor has been aware of the problems you have been having. Once you have been gluten free even for a short time going back on gluten for testing can be quite a painful experience.
You doctor should also test your vitamin and mineral levels, especially B12 and D as well as test you for anemia.
IMHO it is unlikely that you would lose 2 lbs overnight from going gluten free. Some of us do lose weight after we have been on the diet for a bit for a variety of reasons but gluten free is not a calorie restricted diet. In fact many specialty gluten free foods are quite high in calories.
If your doctor resists testing you for celiac because you are over weight insist on it because of your symptoms. Many doctors don't realize that you can be overweight and celiac. I was the heaviest I was in my life pregluten-free but in my case it was because of edema because a long period of misdiagnosis had damaged my kidneys.

Do read as much as you can here as the diet has a bit of a learning curve and keep in mind that we can still need the diet even in the event that our celiac testing comes back negative.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

I agree with all that Raven has said.

Get tested before you take gluten out of your diet.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Raven's right. Much easier now to go back on then it would be had you waited weeks.

#6 Mrs.Stark

Mrs.Stark

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Make sure you get your thyroid checked. It can cause late puberty and hair issues.

I have had my thyroid checked and It was within normal range. I developed in every other way except my period, so not sure if that really counts as late puberty.

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

I strongly agree with Raven's advice - call your doctor and ask to have all the tests Raven suggested ordered as soon as possible because you'd like to remove gluten and have learned that this will adversely effect the results of these tests.

Removing gluten can make an already difficult process much harder - don't remove it unless you are certain you don't wish to pursue a diagnosis.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Good Luck :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Get tested first. I feel as if I'm dying, went gluten free for only 4 days. Endo finally answered and said she will run the blood work (tomorrow), so I have been eating gluten at each meal for last 10 days. Never thought I would be happy to never see bread or pasta again.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

#9 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Ditto everyone else. :)Great advice there...

I did lose weight, about 15lbs now, which began after I had been gluten-free about a month. My belly got noticeably flatter within about 2 weeks and proceeded any weight loss. It was a nice bonus to feeling better. LOL

Double check where your TSH was in the range if you can. I ended up with Hashimotos hypothyroidism because of untreated celiac disease, and for the first 10 years of it, my TSH was within normal range but at the high end of it (a 3 to 6 something in a range of .2-6) and I had hypothyroid symptoms (similar to celiac) the entire time. I am fairly confident that if the doctors had run a TPO Ab or free T4 test, I would have been diagnosed and treated much earlier... and felt better years ago.

Good luck to you, and welcome to the board. :)
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: