17 replies to this topic

#16 VeggieGal

VeggieGal

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

I was also told by my dietician to keep off them for 6 months and then reintroduce them slowly which I will be trying this week :)
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Mr. GF in Indiana

Mr. GF in Indiana

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

I react to all prolamins except rice:  sorghum, corn, oatmeal included.  My reaction is most of the usual symptoms plus strong neuropathy returns and burns in my legs, it's quite an exacting indicator.   You can look at the research of "oats AND celiac" on pubmed.com.  I do know corn comes in hundreds...thousands....of wildly different seed genetic mixes of proteins, so it may be that some types of oats are ok for most of us, and that others aren't.  The labs running the experiments on oats, buy their oats from a special medical/scientific supply house, and it may be those oats are fine for celiacs, as a lucky coincidence, while every other oat variety and new crossbreeds...like goes into our cereals...are never tested but are toxic. 

Best Wishes!    Gary

Misdiagnosed 62 years; finally medically confirmed Celiac/prolamin 2010

No corn, wheat, rye, barley, oatmeal, sorghum; rice is tolerated.  Salicylate sensitive.

Vitamin D and B deficiency, thyroid deficiency, bleeding disorder (all improving slowly).

Neurologically disabled, retired attorney.

Only you can take care of you; random advice from someone on the internet does not substitute for your own doctor!

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hi Lenore,

Welcome to the forum! (qouth the raven) :)

Yep, pet food can be a problem.  Them cats like to eat and then lick their fur all over so they basically are gluten coated fur bombs.  Have you read up on dermatitis herpetiformis (DH)?  That is a rash some people with celiac disease get.

Anyhow, good to have you here, we can use the company! :)

Hi,

I am having a gluten reaction I cannot track down, so am visiting gluten-free oats to see if maybe I am having trouble with them. I read the posts here and really must tell you that some of you are giving up too easily. Some foods will give you symptoms the first few times you eat them after not eating them for a while. Oats, beans, apples, nuts you all have your lists. But if you consistently eat them, and are sure they are not contaminated, often you get used to them and the bloating, serious gas issues, diminish or go away completely. Just plan ahead so maybe not plan on being in Church or a meeting right after eating them! 

But I am having the rash problem, too. I am so used to stomach problems, sometimes I don't know if I was glutened, but boy, the rash is a sure sign! Can't even sleep! FYI Along that line, I was reading up on mangoes, since I love them so much, and found people get terrible allergic reactions to the skins, trees, and they are related to poison oak or ivy, and cashews. One lady had to go to the hospital and besides Benadryl, they put her on Pepcid. I can't take that because of heart issues, but there is another prescription I take as needed for reflux, and it did help the gluten rash...it took the edge off so I could focus on something else. It was not a brain killer like Benadryl. I don't know that Benadryl even helps, but I think the reflux med did. So, if you all have a reflux medication, you might try it for the gluten reaction. Try it at least twice and see what you think. I stayed on it for about 5 days.

One more tip I discovered for cross contamination that I have not seen elsewhere: pet food! My son was feeding his cat and not where I told him too...he had dry cat food crumbs all over the place! And he used to have Cheerios until my last serious attack. Discovered his cereal dust all over, too. So, cat food goes out and we no longer bring any gluten food into the house ever again! It has taken me 4 months to get better and I am still not sure which discovery may have been the culprit. The rash is better, but I am still not back. I discovered the Gluten factor when I was 55 after contracting pneumonia and couldn't eat! I actually felt better! Well, hope these tips help someone. You all have helped me for a long time.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: