This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Imprisonment - Choosing Starvation Over Bread?

esgal

esgal Newbie

Hello friends,

Someone I know is in the future going to be living in a Communist country and there is a possibility that she will be persecuted for her faith if it is discovered that she is a Christian. Since she has diagnosed Celiacs, if she is imprisoned, should she really choose starvation over eating bread(quite likely containing gluten)? Won't she live longer eating the bread even though it will mess up her gut? I assume the diet is mainly bread and water.

I know this is a hard question but thanks for any help.

-esgal

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

tell her not to go!  don't they just kill you, anyway?  she probably won't live long enough to worry about her diet.  :(  why would you do that?  :(

kareng Grand Master

tell her not to go!  don't they just kill you, anyway?  she probably won't live long enough to worry about her diet.   :(  why would you do that?   :(

It does seem like an odd question.  If she is going to this country to get arrested for her faith, she doesn't care about her life and health.

esgal Newbie

She is going as a missionary to share her faith. No, it's not at all certain that she would be imprisoned, but just wondered what she should do in that scenario. I'm just concerned, not saying that it will actually happen... Anyway, even if it would happen I'm sure it wouldn't happen right away, but does seem like a possibility in the next 30 - 50 yrs. Hopefully not though. Sorry, I know it's a weird question... From what I've read you die more slowly from Celiacs then starvation so I would say she should eat it and hope to get out ASAP then not to eat it but maybe I'm not thinking straight. Possibly they have soups as well that they serve that would have less gluten in them... 

Thanks for your response.

-esgal

IrishHeart Veteran

Not sure what faith you are talking about, but anyone can ask for a different place for their mission.

No organized religion I know would put anyone at risk that way.

LauraTX Rising Star

I am sure the original posters friend is a person who believes strongly enough in their faith to not be wavered in their attempt to do a missionary trip over this, as they already plan to go.  They may not serve bread in the prisons depending on where they are, they may serve rice or some other local food that is cheap.  Perhaps your friend can contact the US State Department and get more information on the treatment of their prisoners and what to do if the worst care scenario happens.

State Dept. Destination Info:

Open Original Shared Link

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program:

IrishHeart Veteran
Today, there are only five communist countries in the world.
China, Cuba, Laos, Vietnam and North Korea

They do not want Christian missionaries and she would hardly be allowed in.

Again, I do not think any Christian group would put someone in harm's way like that--especially if she has a medical condition.

ESgal, not sure if you are  looking to start a discussion that has no resolution-- but it seems pointless to me.

but does seem like a possibility in the next 30 - 50 yrs

that's major speculation based on a 'possibility"...IMHO

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

I'm inclined to agree with IH. There are only a few communist regimes left. Why anyone would put their life at risk to go to one of them as a missionary escapes me. But my own faith is personal. I subscribe to the teachings of my church, but would never seek to impose them on others, or to try to tell others that their faith is wrong and mine is right. FWIW, I am an Anglican (Episcopalian in the US). That is my personal observation as a member here, and is not a comment from a moderator.  ^_^

kareng Grand Master

Today, there are only five communist countries in the world.

China, Cuba, Laos, Vietnam and North Korea

They do not want Christian missionaries and she would hardly be allowed in.

Again, I do not think any Christian group would put someone in harm's way like that--especially if she has a medical condition.

ESgal, not sure if you are looking to start a discussion that has no resolution-- but it seems pointless to me.

but does seem like a possibility in the next 30 - 50 yrs

that's major speculation based on a 'possibility"...IMHO

1 has very closed borders. I guess if you sneak across you will be out in prison or shot. . And a couple of them have a lot of Catholics! Lol

IrishHeart Veteran

And a couple of them have a lot of Catholics! Lol

that's true. lol 

but they are not really "open for visitors". 

nvsmom Community Regular

Eek. I wouldn't want to go either.

That being said, I ate gluten for close to 40 years with undiagnosed celiac disease and it didn't kill me... but it was close. Starvation is pretty certain within a few weeks to months of no food though.

LauraTX Rising Star

Eek. I wouldn't want to go either.

That being said, I ate gluten for close to 40 years with undiagnosed celiac disease and it didn't kill me... but it was close. Starvation is pretty certain within a few weeks to months of no food though.

Just for kicks and giggles, if something like a natural disaster/zombie apocalypse hit, and the only food available had gluten in it, I would eat it.  Someone with a severe diarrhea reaction to glutening may die faster than starvation, though.  But heck, I am slow and would get eaten by the zombies before I could worry too much about survival!   :rolleyes:

nvsmom Community Regular

Just for kicks and giggles, if something like a natural disaster/zombie apocalypse hit, and the only food available had gluten in it, I would eat it.  Someone with a severe diarrhea reaction to glutening may die faster than starvation, though.  But heck, I am slow and would get eaten by the zombies before I could worry too much about survival!   :rolleyes:

LOL :lol:  Well thought out.  And I like the zombie approach. LOL ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

A few bites days of having to eat gluten and I would be a zombie

esgal Newbie

Thank you all for your responses and help. I am new to this forum and really appreciate your input. She feels that the countries that are the most closed are the ones most in need not just spiritually but also for humanitarian aid, but I know she is weighing the decision carefully and will keep thinking about it for a year or two before deciding for sure what to do. Even if she goes to a different country in Asia not currently under persecution, it could be that in 30-50 yrs as mentioned before it could become a country with restricted religious freedoms even if it isn't now, and she obviously wouldn't just want to up and leave later after investing many years there and starting a ministry.

Where I live in Central America, the change over in government from right-wing to a communist leader as President happened in less than 10 years, but it's not at the point yet where there isn't religious freedom.

Thanks again for your kindness and time.

• 1 month later...
DownWithGluten Explorer

Interesting topic! All these people telling her not to go ...clearly don't get it.

Anyway...it's interesting because I've actually wondered this before. What if I were to get stuck somewhere where bread was the only option...prison, kidnapped...etc. I guess I'd have to eat it, but I've realized how much more miserable it would make the situation than someone without gluten intolerance.

notme Experienced

Interesting topic! All these people telling her not to go ...clearly don't get it.

Anyway...it's interesting because I've actually wondered this before. What if I were to get stuck somewhere where bread was the only option...prison, kidnapped...etc. I guess I'd have to eat it, but I've realized how much more miserable it would make the situation than someone without gluten intolerance.

how about don't go because if it is a difficult situation and even if you aren't imprisoned, if you eat the wrong thing or nothing safe is available, you become in instant burden.  so, the people you are going to supposedly help have a sick person to care for?   i am a Christian and would not consider dragging down a mission group.  truth.

if imprisoned, the other prisoners would probably kill me for using up all the t.p. lololz (yeah, i know, no t.p. in prison.........)  kidding ;)

• 4 months later...
Patt Explorer

Omg! Really!

1) by deciding to move there of her own free will (witch God gave her) she "IS" prepared to die

2) do you really think they care what she eats? never mind the living conditions. They'll just throw her in a hole and feed her moldy food

• 2 weeks later...
Lock Newbie

She needs to find some other thing to obsess over. Saving people in communist countries is hardly the ONLY charitable thing available. Surely there are people in her home country that could use humanitarian aid and Christian saving.

It sounds like she has got hold of this idea in her head and won't consider alternatives. It might work out for her but if she is a positively diagnosed Celiac and knowingly goes into a country where she will have little control over the quality of her food (in or out of prison) then her ambition to do this thing is bordering on pathological because she is discarding her own health in favor of the idea.

Archived