This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trouble With Rum

CajunChic

CajunChic Explorer

My stomach is often irritated after drinking alcohol. So I do not drink much, and not often. I noticed on 2 different occasions with rum, I was up all night with nausea and a rapid heart rate. I do not get drunk, so that wasn't it. But I was up both nights with a very anxious feeling. By morning, I'm tired and my heart rate is still a little high.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

If alcohol doesn't agree with you - don't drink it anymore. There are people on the world who can't tolerate alcohol. You might be one of them. Or, you might find, that after a year or two of gluten-free and healing, you can tolerate it again.

IrishHeart Veteran

Most people will experience a dip in their blood sugar (glucose) levels when consuming alcohol. 

Maybe that's what happened? just speculating.

Also, alcohol is high in histamine, which can cause rapid heartbeat, flushing, insomnia, nausea and agitation among other symptoms.

Maybe you should lay off the rum? Sorry :( 

FruitEnthusiast Enthusiast

I used to say I didn't tolerate alcohol very well, my stomach didn't like it, etc. It got worse as I got older, had a couple killer all day hangovers... so I rarely drank... then I went to a New Years Eve Party a few years back (I usually stay home NYE), but that year there was a good party so i went... and had a few drinks over a few hours, wasn't ever drunk, drank water, had food, went home....... woke up the next morning sick as a dog and could not stop heaving... so I spent New Years Day that year in the ER!!!  Many people have had the same experience. Every year hospitals across the globe see people like me on New Years Day!

Now I say.... I don't drink... and I haven't since. Some of just aren't meant to, women especially. Yep, it sucks, but it's a lot better than being sick, and odds are that it won't get any better as the years go by...

CajunChic Explorer

Thank you all for the replies. I've never reacted this way before, but that was when my stomach was a total mess. I guess I'll avoid it for now and see if I can tolerate it later. One more restriction...sigh! Lol

One more restriction...sigh! Lol

Isn't that the truth!!! ...but I hope you are able to tolerate it again later.

CajunChic Explorer

Isn't that the truth!!! ...but I hope you are able to tolerate it again later.

Thanks, Fruit!! I sure hope so, too!

Your story is quite frightening! I've never heard of that type of reaction before. I'll certainly be more careful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

It may be the particular rum you were drinking.  You could try something else, like tequila or vodka instead.  There are gluten-free ciders available now also and gluten-free beers.

CajunChic Explorer

It may be the particular rum you were drinking.  You could try something else, like tequila or vodka instead.  There are gluten-free ciders available now also and gluten-free beers.

I've had ciders before, without that reaction. Could it be hard liquor that I react to and not cider? Crazy stuff when your digestive tract is so picky...

notme Experienced

Crazy stuff when your digestive tract is so picky...

amen to that....  and it is not just picky about alcohol  :(

i have a lower tolerance to alcohol since i've been gluten free.  now, i just stick to beer if i don't want to go from zero to drunk in 2 glasses of wine  :blink:   no thanks, i'll just have a beer!   :ph34r:  maybe my gut wasn't absorbing the alcohol and now that i'm healing/better, it is absorbing it (in spades, lolz)  no thanks, i'll just have a beer!  <o did i just say that?  maybe i don't need another lolz  :P

CajunChic Explorer

amen to that....  and it is not just picky about alcohol  :(

i have a lower tolerance to alcohol since i've been gluten free.  now, i just stick to beer if i don't want to go from zero to drunk in 2 glasses of wine  :blink:   no thanks, i'll just have a beer!   :ph34r:  maybe my gut wasn't absorbing the alcohol and now that i'm healing/better, it is absorbing it (in spades, lolz)  no thanks, i'll just have a beer!  <o did i just say that?  maybe i don't need another lolz  :P

Absorbing better.. Hmm... That may be it! I haven't tried a beer yet. Which kind do you like? And sure, what's one more beer... : )

notme Experienced

the best i can get right now is bards - and even then, my local beer guy special orders it for me (and carries it out to my car, making all others jealous lolz) but i like new planet <they have different yummy flavors)  redbridge is a' break glass in case of emergency ' beer.  you can get it lots of places, but who wants to?   haha  ^_^   irish's hubs thinks greens is good, but i've never tried it.  looking forward to my annual jersey trip to 'civilization' where they carry a multitude of different gluten-free beers in the shop-rite (and everywhere)so i can try some more different ones.  and then i am looking forward to my annual trip back to the boonies where i live now  :lol:

Your story is quite frightening! I've never heard of that type of reaction before. I'll certainly be more careful!

I have ALWAYS been sensitive to alcohol, just FYI, so I think I was destined to be a non-drinker. It's possible that others who have had such a reaction had a lot more to drink than I did, I'm not sure. I know some people just don't do well with alcohol, and I've always been in that category.

GFinDC Veteran

I've had ciders before, without that reaction. Could it be hard liquor that I react to and not cider? Crazy stuff when your digestive tract is so picky...

Hard to tell CJ, hard to tell.  I  had a bad reaction to a Ivanovitch Peach vodka.  Smirnoff was fine 4 me tho. They don't reveal the ingredients of alcoholic drinks on the label like they do foods.  So it's anybodies guess what is in the stuff.  You may have to experiment a little.  Tito's vodka is made from corn, and is gluten-free.  Open Original Shared Link

Pegleg84 Collaborator

If it's distilled, it's gluten-free, so that's not the problem (added flavouring can sometimes contain gluten). But yep, some people just can't handle alcohol. And not "cheap drunk" can't handle it, but it just does not agree with them. I do know that after one too many (um, 3) whiskies my stomach often feels a bit raw the next day. Not so much a hangover as in my guts complaining that I put all that harsh stuff in my system. 

One note about rum: it is fermeted sugarcane, after all. Even distilled it has a relatively high sugar content, and might hit you harder because of that. I love good rum, but I find I can't drink much of it these days. Just too sugary (but I also don't drink soda/mix with my alcohol much anymore either. The sugar goes straight to my head).

Don't get me on about beer, but there's a lot of good gluten-free beer out there these days if you can find it. I'm sick of cider, but there's good ones if you like it.

Some people are also sensitive to sulphites, which are naturally occurring in wine.

Anyway, lay off the booze for a while, or if you do decide to have a drink, take it easy, maybe not rum.

The flavored, sweetened liqueurs seem to be the ones that give people the worst problems. It was Bailey's that made me so sick that last time. I would avoid tequila too, that's the other one that's been really harsh in my experience.

Archived