This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update, Sad

mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids Collaborator

The teacher I subbed for wrote me a threatening message after I wrote a nice letter to the principal and called the teacher. The politics at this school are so sad. What discrimination. I will never sub there again. The teacher wrote me to never contact her again. I have been subbing since 91 and have never encountered this. Amazing. We need to keep standing up for ourselves. Sometimes it costs us sub jobs. But so what. I just want to encourage everyone to keep advocating for our rights. This week I got no sleep and feel so sad. But I know someday I'll make a difference for celiac kids and adults. Read my previous post from last week.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

weluvgators Explorer

Hugs, mommy! I am sorry you are dealing with such insensitive people.

Hugs back. Thanks for caring. Please say a prayer or send positive vibes that I'd find a safe kind work environment. I just don't know why it is sooooo hard. Sometimes you just want to give up and then wish celiac on all their family for endless years to come.  Not really. But for this lady, sorry it entered my mind.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Oh my!  What did you call her about, the bathroom issue or something unrelated?  Are you, as a sub, represented by the teachers union? I would seriously consider looking into contacting them if you are.  You weren't asking for a golden ticket you were asking for access to a bathroom for goodness sake! Unbelievable!

africanqueen99 Contributor

You're right, both sad and unfair.

Everybody at my oldest's school is awesome about understanding bathroom needs for all the kids.  I explained that if she ever feels like she has a bathroom emergency to just walk out of the room (a difficult concept for an 8 y/o) and I will handle the Principal/Teacher.

Celiac or not, you're allowed the decency and privacy to eliminate.  It's disturbing that they don't see that.

nvsmom Community Regular

:(  (((HUGS)))

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Take that note right into the principal's office and then go from there to the school superintendents. Celiac is after all covered by the ADA. You could make a real stink for that teacher if you chose to do so. 

If you enjoy subbing don't let one bad apple ruin it for you. 

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I am pretty sure a letter from an attorney would change their attitude because Celiac is, after all, covered under the ADA as others have mentioned. In this era, that is discrimination. It all depends on how far you want to take it but I know that may not be the right decision for you.

Stupid people...........

I wont go back there with no support and understanding. I have found some other schools that are more understanding. Silly question but what is the ADA?

cyclinglady Grand Master

American Disabilities Act.

beth01 Enthusiast

This is a clear violation of the ADA. If it was me, I would bring this up with the principal and the administration. If they aren't made aware, it will happen again. This is a situation where the offending personal should be terminated. I am not saying sue them, but I wouldn't let them get away with it either. I am sorry you had to go through this, but it isn't fair. I am imagining myself stomping up and down saying "it's not fair" over and over again lol.

I don't want to go back to this school because they treated me so poorly. The teacher I subbed for was very rude to me at the gym and treated me like a criminal. I think they are all crazy. However I want to sub for other HSs in this district. One school has posted by their door a sign saying we abide by the ADA and then the district reps phone number. This school has a very strict bathroom policy for teachers. Teachers are NOT allowed to go to the bathroom during class, period. If they need to go, they are not allowed to ask their neighbor to help watch kids, but must call the office for help. Do you think I should call the number and ask what I should do? I like this school and it is closer to my home. But this strict policy REALLY stresses me out. I really would love your thoughts.

How do I get support from the ADA? I found the website online. Is celiac written any where as covered? I could not find it on their website. Please share where to find this info so that I can share it with the district.

Thanks for helping me.

• 1 month later...

Open Original Shared Link

I found this under the ADA, but I need your help. I want to go to the high school office and ask if they will cover a class if I need to use the bathroom. It would be good to go with a copy of the ADA and make reference to the part that applies to my situation. Can anyone look at the ADA listed here and help me find where it would pertain to my situation? Thanks so much!

kareng Grand Master

Archived