Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

HI Everyone!

I just called Giant Eagle about their fresh Nature's Basket fresh chicken and all other chicken and they told me none of it is on their gluten free list. They said there is no gluten in it, but they couldn't guarantee CC.. Ugh.. I've been eating this for the last 6 years I've been gluten free and I could've swore I called them 6 years ago. I wonder if they changed something? I felt great for the last 5 years but I'm now still having gluten symptoms. And I've been eating it like crazy these last two months.. I'm starting think I may have found what's still glutening me for the last three months.

:wacko: 

I also called Perdue. They told me they would have to call me back to make sure, but all of the "Fresh- All Natural" are gluten free, but couldn't guarantee their "Tender and Tasty" chicken was gluten free since there is other ingredients in the chicken.

I called Tyson today too.. They said all their fresh chicken is gluten free, but they do add chicken broth to their chicken and that just makes me nervous. Seems like a lot of people on here had reactions.

*** Plus I always thought that all fresh meats were gluten free as long as they didn't have any added ingredients to them? Was I wrong about this?

Thanks everyone! :)

Lisa

Infertility since 1995/Endometriosis

Hasimoto Thyroid disease 1998

Enlarged Abdominal Lymph nodes since 2003 - Stable

Thyroid Hurtle Cell Cancer 2008 Stage 1- Total Thyriodectomy 2008

Anxiety/Depression/Insomnia/Fatigue - Gone with gluten free diet

Acid reflux -LPR 7-2009 - Gone with a Strict gluten free diet

Celiac disease - positive upper endoscopy & Blood Test 9-2009

Undiagnosed celiac for 20 years - Gluten free since 9-13-09

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Fresh meat should be gluten free.  Many places won't call things gluten-free unless they test them.  That doesn't mean the meat is not gluten-free.

Edit - If I am remembering correctly - doesn't the US gluten-free food labeling law say something about not sticking gluten-free on foods that are normally gluten-free - like fresh fruit or fresh meat?

Edited by kareng

Join eNewsletter

I've  heard  some  chicken processors  make a solution  brine  that  will keep  chicken  on the store shelf  fresher for a longer  period. Don't know  if it  is  a myth  or  true as we  only  eat  organic  farm chicken....I think Bell & Evans  for one  has  gluten-free  chicken fresh  or frozen.....

Join eNewsletter

I THINK (but I could be wrong) the labeling law applies to FDA regulated foods but not to USDA foods. Meats are under the jusidiction of the USDA.

I eat lots and lots of chicken. I buy Tyson chicken breasts with the bones still in it. Never had a problem.

The stores also sell big bags with boneless chicken breasts in them but they are full of chemical and other stuff. Besides, they shrink down to about half their size when cooked so they really are no bargain.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I THINK (but I could be wrong) the labeling law applies to FDA regulated foods but not to USDA foods. Meats are under the jusidiction of the USDA.

You are 100% correct.  USDA is NOT covered by labeling laws.

We've eaten it with no issues. GE is going through a HUGE thing with posting signs around the stores about allergies and stuff too. I believe there was an issue with some recalls recently (not gluten related) so they are in a CYA mode. 

Join eNewsletter

read the ingredient list. A lot of them will show a high liquid content or "packaged in broth". That alone should not make it unsafe but you may be reacting to one of the added ingredients, not any cross contaminatiuon. Organic, if you can, might be safe choice as the chicken themselves aren't being fed anything bad either.

Join eNewsletter