This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Endometriosis is the reason I was told in my early 20's (see signature..)I had a 50/50 chance of ever conceiving a child because it was pretty bad - I have had a total of 3 laparoscopies..... Anyway, four children later, it just goes to show you not to listen to what the doctors say......

One thing that is interesting with endometriosis, is that quite often it gets less and less of a problem after you have children - so get to it!

Hugs.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mtndog

Hi All- I just wanted to drop in quickly and say hello as I'm not home and won't be until the 23rd and then I'm moving in with my in-laws and start teaching on the 28th- EEEK! I can't believe I've been away for a week and there's a new forum for other food intolerances and leaky gut- that's wonderful.

I hope everyone is doing well- I read some of the thread about Rachel's decision to go back to where the thread began- trying to figure out other sensitivities and triggers- while maintaining the support and camraderie and the love! I think it's perfect as I really want to figure out what else is going on with me and the scientists on this thread are GREAT!!!!!!! I am the first to admit I too got awfully silly and I apologize if I made anyone feel left out or like I wanted to drag the thread off-topic. But everyone is right- it was unwieldy and impossible to keep up with and I really do want to learn.

So, I'll say g'nite (I'm in Seattle and don't want to leave!!!!!) and i will check in as soon as I get back. Love and health to all, Beverly

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks everyone for all the input! :)

I've been reading about endometriosis a little and I'm not really clear as to why it happens but it does say its more common in womem over 30 who havent had children. I guess thats me. :(

Having children gives the cycle a "break" and I guess thats what is helpful for not developing Endometriosis.

If its not causing symptoms....what exactly does it do??? I'm not really sure if its related to anything I'm going through or if its even possible.

I read that only half of women with Endometriosis can have kids. Thanks sooo much for your post Karen....I know you havent had any problems in that area....twins even!!! That made me feel better. :)

Of course I dont even know if I have this yet...so far its just a cyst and a fibroid. She said something about looking for adhesions??? Is this something related to Endometriosis??

I know this is a common thing but I'll have to do some research so I can learn more about it...that way when I have my consult I wont be in the dark. Sheeeesh...by the time I get better I'll have learned about sooo many different conditions. I'll be like a walking medical text book. :blink: That is if I can remember it all. :rolleyes:

Julie, you really think I could have this??? Does it fit?? It doesnt seem like it could have anything to do with sensitivities though. :(

Celia,

Good to see you! Sorry you are feeling down. :(

Yeah....so its back to the cyst again....its still lingering around. I'm gonna go through with the surgery if its still there in the next ultrasound. Hopefully I'll have the same results you did. I always remember that in the back of my head so I gotta try at least. Its a pretty safe procedure so I might as well give it a shot....also they might find something else going on that I dont know about...like the endometriosis.

Does anyone know how it gets treated if they diagnose it???

Beverly,

Welcome back. :D

Yeah...the thread has slowed down to a normal and reasonable volume of posts. No more "lost" science lessons. :D

I can breeeeeathe now. :)

I dont know if you noticed but we have a seperate thread now (a sub-division)...Rachelville 2 is in the gab room. You can join us there for the fun stuff. ;)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Beverly and Rachel

it's good to hear from you Bev and glad your having a great time

Rachel, more and more info for you...It's amazing that your 'head doesn't burst'

:lol: judy

dlp252 Apprentice

Welcome back Bev!

Adhesions are where two organs or things stick together and kind for form a bond. I've never had them, but one of the girls I sing with just had them separated...they were able to do that by laparoscopy too in her case.

elisabet Contributor

Hi Rachel,

Your new picture is beautiful.

elisabet

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie, you really think I could have this??? Does it fit?? It doesnt seem like it could have anything to do with sensitivities though. :(

Well, it was what I was thinking for the pelvic/abdominal pain that you were having for such long stretches of time (even when you weren't ovulating).

Here is something interesting I found about endometriosis and immunity/environmental chemicals:

Endometriosis is a puzzling and sometimes debilitating disease that affects millions of women around the world. Women suffering from endometriosis experience a variety of symptoms, with lower abdominal pain being most common. Pain can be especially intense before and during menstrual periods. Some women experience pain throughout the menstrual cycle; some during sex. The disease forces more than 100,000 hysterectomies each year in the United States alone, and the costs of the disease exceed $1 billion annually.

Endometriosis develops when endometrial-like tissue starts growing in places where it shouldn’t be, away from the lining of the uterus, often in the abdominal cavity or pelvic region, but sometimes in lungs or arms, and elsewhere. These tissue growths respond to hormonal signals in the menstrual cycle in the same way that uterine lining does, building up and breaking down each month. But while the uterine lining can be flushed out of the body during menstruation, the tissue remains of endometrial growths have no place to go. Internal bleeding, inflammation and other problems result.

While these facts about endometriosis are clear, the causes of the disease are much more obscure and debated. There are four key parts to the puzzle.

First, how does endometrial tissue wind up in inappropriate locations? One suggestion is that endometrial cells are transported by reverse flow off blood during menstruation into the abdominal cavity, or through the blood stream and lymphatic system to more remote sites. Another is that cells in the remote locations are transformed from their original condition into endometrial cells. These explanations are not mutually exclusive.

Second, why doesn’t the immune system prevent endometrial tissue from becoming established and growing? Recent research has revealed that women with endometriosis are also likely to experience an array of immune system problems, suggesting that immune system dysfunction may be the proximal cause of endometriosis. The challenge then is to understand what has happened to the endometriosis victim's immune system.

Third, what would lead some women to develop severe endometriosis, while others none at all? There appears to be some heriditary component to the risk of endometriosis, possibly involving multiple genes, but environmental factors are also implicated. The most telling evidence on environment comes from animal studies in which dioxin increases the risk of endometriosis in Rhesus monkeys, and also increases the likelihood that endometrial implants will thrive in rodents. Monkeys exposed to radiation also are more likely to develop endometriosis.

And fourth, what are the patterns of the disease over time? It is widely believed that endometriosis is more common now than mid-20th century, and data also suggest that more cases are now developing earlier in life than before and becoming more severe.

While we still lack scientific certainty about the causes of endometriosis, exposures to environmental factors that undermine the immune system are emerging as one of the most likely causative agents. Both dioxin (and other dioxin-like compounds) and radiation harm immune system action, in monkeys as well as in people. Widespread exposures to dioxins increased during the 20th century, as most likely did endometriosis. Other contaminants also are toxic to the immune system including a variety of pesticides and industrial compounds.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

Hi All, I just checked in and read the endometriosis question, Rachel. I hope this is not the case for you. I had severe endometriosis that had migrated to the outside of the uterus and surrounded my bladder and ovaries. I had a partial hysterectomy at age 35. They removed cysts and tissue from the ovaries and bladder as well as adhesions. I had a problem getting pregnant (bear in mind this was 20 some years ago) and when they found endometriosis, they put me on a drug called danocrine, (I think this was the name) which caused a menopause-like state and stopped my periods to give the uterine lining a chance to normalize. This enabled me to have my oldest child, but then I had problems after he was born with excessive bleeding and the most intense pain durning periods. After I had my second son eight years later, the situation got even worse and the drs. said the tissue was growing "unusually fast on the outside of the uterus". I have also had lumps removed from the breast that was called fibrocystic breast disease, which I sometimes wonder if that wasn't from "migrating" tissue. I have to say that since going gluten free, the fibrous breast problem has almost completely dissolved for the first time in my life and I wonder if I had always been gluten-free if the endometriosis would have been controlled. It has always been my suspicion that some kind of inflammatory process caused the problems and I seriously think it was a combination of the gluten and dairy for myself.

btw-I was reading a women's magazine in the dr. waiting room the other day that ice cream is a rich source of folic acid. Wasn't folic acid one of the problems found to cause a histamine response?

I have had a number of laparoscopies and the only problem I had was the gas pain afterwards. The healing is pretty quick and use something like mederma on the belly button scar after it heals and it is hardly noticeable. Take care. :)

VydorScope Proficient

BAH! Still no word on the filters, so my wife called to follow up and they said they are STILL TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT. :blink:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Robbin Wow...I hope I dont have endometriosis...it sounds pretty scary. :(

Also...I still want to have kids so hopefully its not something that will cause problems in that area. That would really suck.

You may have just given me a revelation with the stuff about ice cream!! I feel like since I've went back on dairy my histamine levels arent going down...I'm not sure whether its the dairy or the corn because I started both at the same time. Overall I feel good except for headaches and constant non-stop feeling of histamine traveling through my body. That part seems even worse....like something has really caused the levels to soar. I cant really find any info about dairy or corn causing histamine but the folic acid really might be the problem. Folic acic does raise histamine levels...I did not know ice cream was rich in folic acid. :blink: I've actually stopped eating dairy about 2 days ago to see if things get better.

Is there some kind of list somewhere that shows which foods are high in folic acid?? I think I need to do a search.

Thank you soooo much for this info Robbin...I know the ice cream is raising histamine but I couldnt figure out why.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

OMG...

I just checked out a list of foods rich in folic acid. I didnt see milk on the list but I did see EGG YOLKS. I've been eating these alot lately. I get rid of the whites because they can cause histamine release but I still eat the yolks. Holy cow...I fogot to tell you guys...on Friday I had 4 egg yolks for lunch and had a MAJOR histamine reaction. I was dumbfounded....thinking maybe I didnt get all the whites off the eggs or something. Anyway when I went back to work I had some major stomach distress. This doesnt happen often....only with a real bad reaction. All of a sudden it would feel like someone was stabbing me in the stomach and then major nausea would hit....but it would only last about 5 minutes at a time. It would come and go but after a few hours I was ok. A couple times I had difficulty walking cuz of the pain. I was thinking I wouldnt be able to go rock climbing.

Pretty much all the other foods on the list I avoid cuz of histamines already...there was one other food that stuck out though....SWEET POTATOES!! :blink:

OK...gonna check more lists....

AndreaB Contributor
OMG...

I just checked out a list of foods rich in folic acid. I didnt see milk on the list but I did see EGG YOLKS. I've been eating these alot lately.

Pretty much all the other foods on the list I avoid cuz of histamines already...there was one other food that stuck out though....SWEET POTATOES!! :blink:

Does this mean you can still eat ice cream as long as you don't add eggs to it? Once you get your histamines under control will you beable to eat some histamine foods again?

VydorScope Proficient
Does this mean you can still eat ice cream as long as you don't add eggs to it? Once you get your histamines under control will you beable to eat some histamine foods again?

Eggs should never be in any homemade ice cream recipe, they ones that have it are wrong :P , so that should not be a problem at least. :D

AndreaB Contributor
Eggs should never be in any homemade ice cream recipe, they ones that have it are wrong :P , so that should not be a problem at least. :D

I saw you last post on the filters.....let us know if you ever get an answer. :huh:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...I dont put eggs in my ice cream. Only milk, cream and fruit....thats it. Not even sugar. Occassionally I've used vanilla.

Andrea....I'm hoping if the levels come down I can eat a little bit here and there....space it out so that I dont get overloaded again but I'm not sure how much or how little it takes to set me off. I'll have to figure this out if and when I get the levels down to where I'm not feeling it anymore. Right now I feel it...histamine...burning my eyes and just making me feel weird all over.

elisabet Contributor
OMG...

I just checked out a list of foods rich in folic acid. I didnt see milk on the list but I did see EGG YOLKS. I've been eating these alot lately. I get rid of the whites because they can cause histamine release but I still eat the yolks. Holy cow...I fogot to tell you guys...on Friday I had 4 egg yolks for lunch and had a MAJOR histamine reaction. I was dumbfounded....thinking maybe I didnt get all the whites off the eggs or something. Anyway when I went back to work I had some major stomach distress. This doesnt happen often....only with a real bad reaction. All of a sudden it would feel like someone was stabbing me in the stomach and then major nausea would hit....but it would only last about 5 minutes at a time. It would come and go but after a few hours I was ok. A couple times I had difficulty walking cuz of the pain. I was thinking I wouldnt be able to go rock climbing.

Hi Rachel,

does sweet potatoes high in histamine? so that is why my son has reacted to them!!!

you mentioned in another post you make your ice cream with milk,does it mean that you tolerate diary now?

thanks elisabet

elisabet Contributor

Sorry,I just read that you are questioning diary again,did you ever check if you have Ige mediated reaction to diary? if so ,any allergic reaction can cause the histamine level rais in plasma,that is why antihistamin and cortisone helps allergic reactions and immune system to comedown.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Rachel,

love your new picture but loved your old one too.

hope you can get to bottom of Endometriosis dx.

I have been re doing a guest b/room so haven't been on forum much esp researching for info..my head is spinning already--esp trying to asorb info on lymphedema and MLD.

Just saw a good report on GMF on GMA. I knew about the corn and soy but now they are going to go grab our RICE..why can't they just leave our food alone.

Seems people agreed they wanted it in the labels so who knows what will happen.

That being said, I'm always so reluctant to post on this thread for fear that it has been discussed or it is old info and everyone but me knows about it, or it's innaccurate...SO I POST WITH TREPIDATION...PLEASE DON'T POUNCE ON ME ALL YOU EXPERTS OUT THERE....

Rachel, noticed that the histamines were high in ...SWEET POTATOES!! remember last week when my nose was litterly dripping down on to the key board..well i was eating sweet potatoes..

Know your were having a problem with them but then you were 'pulling a Rachel' (love that term) I'm trying to add new good foods to diet..interesting.

also, gmf in the foods not labeled is esp high for soy which i'm avoiding..so maybe there are some answers here.

anyway...just stopping in and hope info will be accepted as presented...'just someone trying to find answers here but surley have not read every page of this post.... :blink:

judy in philly

jerseyangel Proficient

Good morning everybody :D

Judy--I just saw the GMA segment, too! I agree that they are (and have been for years) tinkering around, in a bad way, with our foods.

Don't be hesitant to post anything that you feel is important--it's all appreciated :)B)

lindalee Enthusiast
Hi Rachel,

love your new picture but loved your old one too.

hope you can get to bottom of Endometriosis dx.

I have been re doing a guest b/room so haven't been on forum much esp researching for info..my head is spinning already--esp trying to asorb info on lymphedema and MLD.

Just saw a good report on GMF on GMA. I knew about the corn and soy but now they are going to go grab our RICE..why can't they just leave our food alone.

Seems people agreed they wanted it in the labels so who knows what will happen.

That being said, I'm always so reluctant to post on this thread for fear that it has been discussed or it is old info and everyone but me knows about it, or it's innaccurate...SO I POST WITH TREPIDATION...PLEASE DON'T POUNCE ON ME ALL YOU EXPERTS OUT THERE....

Rachel, noticed that the histamines were high in ...SWEET POTATOES!! remember last week when my nose was litterly dripping down on to the key board..well i was eating sweet potatoes..

Know your were having a problem with them but then you were 'pulling a Rachel' (love that term) I'm trying to add new good foods to diet..interesting.

also, gmf in the foods not labeled is esp high for soy which i'm avoiding..so maybe there are some answers here.

anyway...just stopping in and hope info will be accepted as presented...'just someone trying to find answers here but surley have not read every page of this post.... :blink:

judy in philly

Hi Judy, It is so good to see your smiling face! :) Could you explain GMF on GMA? The healing diet I am trying to be on says no grains(rice included). Congrats on getting that room redone!

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi Judy, It is so good to see your smiling face! :) Could you explain GMF on GMA? The healing diet I am trying to be on says no grains(rice included). Congrats on getting that room redone!

GMF on GMA==genetically modified food (segment) on "Good Morning America". :)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Patti and Lindalee

so glad you answered her. hoped you would

was trying to find the gma web site to post it but keep interupted.

maybe someone else whos interested in this can look it up and put a link have to run to chiro in 10 min and need to run.

hugs

judy

rinne Apprentice

More interesting scientificness.

Rachel, I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with the possibility of Endometriosis along with everything else. :( Great photo. :)

Judy, nice to see you. :)

I'll get another avatar up, just decided it was enough of being glamorous. :lol:

I think I've been herxing, very irritable, aches where I don't generally ache, limbs feel leaden...if it is it should pass soon and then supposedly I will feel better for a bit until I herx again. <_<

And sweet potatoes high in histamines, eek! I was very mucousy when I had them last week so now I will watch for that. Thanks.

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti and Lindalee

so glad you answered her. hoped you would

was trying to find the gma web site to post it but keep interupted.

maybe someone else whos interested in this can look it up and put a link have to run to chiro in 10 min and need to run.

hugs

judy

:lol: Judy--I knew you were busy with the room, so I figured I'd answer in case you didn't come on for a while. :ph34r:

AndreaB Contributor

If I'm reading this correctly they are going to start, or have started, modifying our rice. GRRRRRRR. I buy organic lundberg rice but obviously what is prepacked you don't know unless they specify. I will probably need to invest in another grain mill and do my own rice flour. My old one doesn't get fine enough for the superfine and plus I don't think I can get all the wheat traces out of it. Hmmm, maybe I should get a grain mill instead of an ice cream maker. :( Although the grain mill I'm looking at is 2-3 times more than the ice cream maker.

Archived