This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Ok guys, I've read back over 4 pages and I think what i'm reading is that...

maybe my horrid allergies, (which have NEVER been this bad) is linked to histimines in food and affects the thyroid????

i am hypothyroid and take the generic synthroid..and have for 6 months before that on synthroid since i was in 3rd grade when i had my thryroid radiated for 'tonsilitis..in the 40's in 1969 had a goiter removed caused by the radiation...

so is there is list of foods that have high levels of 'histomines' since so many of you have named some of these foods.

judy in philly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dlp252 Apprentice
Ok guys, I've read back over 4 pages and I think what i'm reading is that...

maybe my horrid allergies, (which have NEVER been this bad) is linked to histimines in food and affects the thyroid????

i am hypothyroid and take the generic synthroid..and have for 6 months before that on synthroid since i was in 3rd grade when i had my thryroid radiated for 'tonsilitis..in the 40's in 1969 had a goiter removed caused by the radiation...

so is there is list of foods that have high levels of 'histomines' since so many of you have named some of these foods.

judy in philly

Julie and Rachel seem to have done the most research on this but here are a couple of the sites I bookmarked from one of Julie's posts:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

(on this second link, there is an icon at the bottom of the page that says "click here to see my diet"...if you click there it has the foods that this one girl ate...there is some disagreement with the foods on this list.)

And, more on the histamine thing...I had a relevation moment this morning....NAIL POLISH. I haven't worn nail polish in a long time because it seemed to give me problems....I mostly thought this was in my head though because it was nothing specific...just a general feeling of something wrong. Up until a year ago I wore it sort of regularly...about a year ago I stopped...BUT, around my birthday a month and a half ago I had a pedicure! Could this have driven the histamine levels over the top? Maybe that's why the itching has been so bad the last few weeks...am I grasping at straws, totally off my rocker, luney tune material?

Oh, and by-the-way, I went to a place that cleans their foot baths very well...it was recommended by two of my friends that are picky about that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Donna, I'm not sure about the nail polish....nothing surprises me though. How about removing it and seeing if you get better? As far as histamines go....I'm thinking more along the lines of food.

Maybe chocolate??? How about diet sodas and Starbucks coffee? Yeah......your post in the R-2 thread didnt get by me. :P

I always try and eliminate anything I get suspicious of so if I was you I'd definately go without the nail polish again. See what happens.

I'm really upset today! The horrid lady at the lab who drew my blood for the histamine test called today. First off shes extremely unfriendly....almost hostile. Totally oblivious to the needs of the "patient". She didnt refridgerate my orange jug after I gave it to her....she didnt even seem to care. I was worried at this point. After about 15 minutes of my jug sitting on the floor I mentioned to her that it needed refridgeration...she looked at me...nodded and then placed it on a table with other samples and a big sign saying "room temp. samples". :blink:

I soooo wanted to punch this lab lady....I swore if she messed up my pee test I just might do it. :angry:

I kept my lips zipped because she had the needle for my bloodtest. She was extremely rough and aggressive with the needle....she wasnt keeping still while she changed vials and she was digging the needle into my vein. I missed the lab lady who thought I was like 10 and was so gentle and kind....she gave me a lollipop and a barbie sticker. Not this ogre in a lab coat...all she gave me was a big bruise. :angry:

So today she calls, leaves me a voice mail....somehow she messed up on the test....I have to go back so she can redraw my blood!! :blink:

How scary is that??!! I'm kind of freaked out....I dont like her and my arm's already sore. How am I gonna climb rocks on Friday with sore arms. :(

I didnt go back today....scared. :ph34r:

Also...how could she possibly mess up on a bloodtest...where did my blood go?? Why cant it be used??? It was suppossed to be frozen....I'm betting anything that the wicked witch didnt freeze it...she probably didnt refridgerate my orange jug either....I'm like fuming right now. :angry:

mouse Enthusiast

Rachel, just tell them that you want someone else to do your blood test. Call first and see if the nice one is going to be on and what her hours are. You as a consumer have the right to request this.

jerseyangel Proficient

Oh Rachel--I'd be upset, too :(

Could you call first and ask when the nice lab lady is going to be there? I wouldn't go back to this one if at all possible.

AndreaB Contributor

I'd be fuming to. :angry:

I agree, don't let this nasty lab coat brutalize your arm again.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh Rachel--I'd be upset, too :(

Could you call first and ask when the nice lab lady is going to be there? I wouldn't go back to this one if at all possible.

Unfortunately, I think she may be the only one working there....at least as far as the blood draws go. I'd never been there before....I went there only for this histamine test. Its a really small place....both days I went there I only saw her....noone else. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lindalee Enthusiast

Maybe you could call and ask them what happened and find out who would be doing it. Sounds like the mean one is having lots of problems if she can't get it right and is hurting you. Ask them if the same lady would be doing it or if there is someone else.

Green12 Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I think she may be the only one working there....at least as far as the blood draws go. I'd never been there before....I went there only for this histamine test. Its a really small place....both days I went there I only saw her....noone else. :(

Oh Rachel, I am so sorry :(

I agree that you should call, maybe to talk to a supervisor and tell them how awful of an experience you had with this lady. They need to know that this lady isn't treating the patients well, and sounds like she is screwing up collections.

Another thought, does this lab service have different drop in locations?

Judy, look at the links Donna listed and also you can do a search for "low histamine diets". That should give you several sounrces to look at the different food high in histamine or histamine releasing.

(Still trying to get used to you as a red head....)

Yea fasting/diabetes is done that way , but reactive is trickier. BTW I am STILL screwing up my diet, how long will it take me to learn have a freaken clue about it! As soon as the crash hits I know what happend Stuff like YOU STUPID IDIOT ALL YOU HAD WAS ICE CREAM ALL DAY!

BUt I guess at least I know.... :lol: if a bit late :lol:

Uh oh, sounds like we might have to do a ice cream intervention with Vincent :lol:

Donna, the nail polish wouldn't surprise me either, but I have a strong feeling it's been all the chocolate, as well as Bumble Bars of the "Chocolate" variety :lol::lol:

miamia Rookie

Rachel-

you need to call and speak to her supervisor and tell that person everything you wrote here about how poorly you were treated. You should not have had to go through that and definitly cannot suffer through anything like that again!!

Miamia

has anyone heard from celia?

AndreaB Contributor

Celia over in the Tazorac thread.

VydorScope Proficient
Uh oh, sounds like we might have to do a ice cream intervention with Vincent :lol:

:lol: YOU WILL NEVER GET MY ICE CREAM!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
:lol: YOU WILL NEVER GET MY ICE CREAM!!! :ph34r::ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol:

That would be my response too...if anyone dared intervene between me and my ice cream! :o

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

DONNA & JULIE M THANKS SO MUCH WILL CK IT OUT HAVE TO GET ON THE LYMPH PUMP FOR 1 HR NOW SO HAVE TO GET OFF THE COMPUTER..

RACHEL..YOU POOR DEAR...IF THE ORG IS THE ONLY ONE THERE (well crap!) i had one like that and when she gave me attitude and huffed and puffed about me 'being a hard draw' if said will then don't bother, i won't allow you to do the draw get me the other tecq...and she did.

the nice tech said, it's important to speak up and go to the top if necessary as she's tired of the 'hard draw' b%$@#er..hurting people...so ...hope you can get the blood drawn on her day off. AND

ABOUT THE PEE.....OF LORD....DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THAT ONE...AND IT DONE...HOW THE HECK DO YOU NOW IF IT'S GOING TO BE CORRECT?????

THE ONLY GOOD THING THE 'PEE JUG' INCIDENT IS ...IT WAS ONLY ONE DAY'S WORTH....TRY HAVING PEEING IN THAT DAMN THING FOR 7 DAYS AND 5 IN THE WORK PLACE AND THEN NOT HAVE ANY RESULTS...SO TRYING TO HELP HERE RACHEL :ph34r::( I KNOW I CAN'T MAKE IT BETTER FOR YOU.

BUT I'M TRYING TO HELP YOU :o:unsure:;)

LOVE YA

JUDY

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

OH NO...... :o NOT TOMATOES...BEEN EATING ABOUT 3 A DAY FROM OUR GARDEN. JUST READ THE ARTICE

JUDY

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna, I'm not sure about the nail polish....nothing surprises me though. How about removing it and seeing if you get better? As far as histamines go....I'm thinking more along the lines of food.

Maybe chocolate??? How about diet sodas and Starbucks coffee? Yeah......your post in the R-2 thread didnt get by me. :P

I always try and eliminate anything I get suspicious of so if I was you I'd definately go without the nail polish again. See what happens.

I'm really upset today! The horrid lady at the lab who drew my blood for the histamine test called today. First off shes extremely unfriendly....almost hostile. Totally oblivious to the needs of the "patient". She didnt refridgerate my orange jug after I gave it to her....she didnt even seem to care. I was worried at this point. After about 15 minutes of my jug sitting on the floor I mentioned to her that it needed refridgeration...she looked at me...nodded and then placed it on a table with other samples and a big sign saying "room temp. samples". :blink:

I soooo wanted to punch this lab lady....I swore if she messed up my pee test I just might do it. :angry:

I kept my lips zipped because she had the needle for my bloodtest. She was extremely rough and aggressive with the needle....she wasnt keeping still while she changed vials and she was digging the needle into my vein. I missed the lab lady who thought I was like 10 and was so gentle and kind....she gave me a lollipop and a barbie sticker. Not this ogre in a lab coat...all she gave me was a big bruise. :angry:

So today she calls, leaves me a voice mail....somehow she messed up on the test....I have to go back so she can redraw my blood!! :blink:

How scary is that??!! I'm kind of freaked out....I dont like her and my arm's already sore. How am I gonna climb rocks on Friday with sore arms. :(

I didnt go back today....scared. :ph34r:

Also...how could she possibly mess up on a bloodtest...where did my blood go?? Why cant it be used??? It was suppossed to be frozen....I'm betting anything that the wicked witch didnt freeze it...she probably didnt refridgerate my orange jug either....I'm like fuming right now. :angry:

Yep, need to get some polish remover...I threw everything out last year, lol. I haven't had any form of chocolate now in over a week...or has it been almost two now...wow, that's different. :lol: Haven't had diet coke since Saturday. Hadn't had Starbuck's since Saturday either...couldn't help myself yesterday--I'm going to blam it on Cecile and all her talk of coffee, lol, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've decided that for the next two weeks I'm going to only eat meat and veggies. Possibly just a little fruit, but I think I'd really like to do just the meat/veggie thing for a couple of weeks. The fruit just seems to trigger the need to eat more sweet things and I think I need to break that right now...later I'll add back some low sugar fruits that are lower in histamine. I'm still not sure that part of my problem isn't candida...I did react to candida when I had my allergy testing originally and I know that mold/fermented/sweet foods can aggravate that. I really need this two weeks to get everything out of my system I think.

Wow, Rachel, that lab nurse sounds insane. In addition to some of the other suggestions I would also tell the doctors who use that lab...if there is another lab they can use for the same tests you might save someone else from Nurse Cratchett. I can't believe she was so blatantly incompetent. I'm wondering if, as she was moving around with the vials, if she didn't actually go through the vein...don't know anything about that sort of thing, but if she poked all the way through it that might have tainted the whole batch. Grrr!

Donna, the nail polish wouldn't surprise me either, but I have a strong feeling it's been all the chocolate, as well as Bumble Bars of the "Chocolate" variety :lol::lol:

But, but, but.... :lol: No Bumble Bars in over 3 weeks now (a definite record), and no chocolate in over a week. The soy lattes are a problem though. :ph34r:

Daxin Explorer

Rachel -- Sorry to hear about the "ogre in a lab coat". It's never fun when the lab people seem to think they rule the world. I had one hear screw up my daughters patch chloride testing (3 hours of our lives we will never get back)

I agree that you need to talk to her supervisor and get some things sorted out. Maybe, she was just having a bad day, maybe she's just an ogre.

jerseyangel Proficient

I feel the need to post over here in the scientific section :D Here's the thing--

I think that I also am having a problem with chocolate. :ph34r: Or at least, something in the chocolate. I've cut out just about all other processed foods except my Dove Dark chocolate.

Today, I had a lous-A morning. I needed to go out and run some errends and go to the grocery store as we had no food left in the house (you know what I mean).

I woke up with stomach cramps--had an organic banana and spring water and still had D--I took 2 Immodium and waited till they kicked in before going out. :angry:

Anyway, my daily diet consists of : Banana, blueberries and sliced almonds for breakfast, salad w/ veggies and olives and olive oil and vinegar for lunch and meat/potato/veggies for dinner. I drink spring water.

I've stopped taking all vitamins and suppliments. When I first discontinued the vitamins (because of lactose), I immediately felt better, then gradually got a little worse. :blink: I do take Rx for blood pressure.

I also make grain free cookies with potato starch.

Does anything jump out at anyone? I'm thinking that lactose and/or casein could have something to do with it. You guys have the best minds for this that I know. Thanks :)

DingoGirl Enthusiast

OMG what is fast reply....just clicked on it - - am now doing it - - am scared....

totally premature post, but PATTI - - not the chocolate!!!

oh - fast reply has no emoticons - not so fun - -

is there too much repetition in your diet - as in, developing intolerances? what do I know......do you eat as many Doves as I do Nuggetts (I think not)

AndreaB Contributor

I would say the chocolate first, then maybe bananas (only because I'm mildly allergic :P ), possibly potatoes. I don't know Patti. Could it be a bug and nothing more....sounds like one has been going round.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Patti

See you haven't left to shop yet.

are you still sick

you know I'M NO EXPERT HERE AT ALL but you taught me that some times something we tollerated for months will pop up and get us...so maybe it's just the allergies, histomines, and choc (what ever is in it) could all be changing the balance of your 'tollerances'

if you can maybe cut back on dove...God i hate to see you cut them out as you just give up so much.

maybe you should just stay home in the A/C and rest and take some 'down time' for yourself. you've been so busy the last few months with the yard and the painting and re doing the b/room. maybe your body is saying ' hey, i'm tired here' :blink:

please keep us posted on how your day goes.

i know your not one to sit around...but maybe today you should.

hugs and prayers you feel better soon.

love

judy ;)

Green12 Enthusiast

Hi Susie!! I still don't get it about the fast reply, I am totally missing something, don't see it, don't understand it, doesn't compute... :lol::lol:

Patti, I am so sorry you are not feeling well. The chocolate stands out for me too, sorry I know it is so good, but it causes me nothing but problems- totally messes my digestion up. And I know you have a sensitive system/stomach as well.

As far as anything else, if we are talking from a histamine stand point, the troublesome foods I spot are the bananas and the vinegar.

If you are up to it, start small by eliminating the chocolate from your diet and see what happens. That step alone might make a big difference, and then you can go from there. Just my opinion anyway.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Judy- I know, the tomatoes are hard for me to keep out, mostly the tomato products. I love salsa! So many good foods are on the high histamine list so it's a bummer all around :(

Hi Ryan!

lonewolf Collaborator
Anyway, my daily diet consists of : Banana, blueberries and sliced almonds for breakfast, salad w/ veggies and olives and olive oil and vinegar for lunch and meat/potato/veggies for dinner. I drink spring water.

I've stopped taking all vitamins and suppliments. When I first discontinued the vitamins (because of lactose), I immediately felt better, then gradually got a little worse. :blink: I do take Rx for blood pressure.

I also make grain free cookies with potato starch.

Does anything jump out at anyone? I'm thinking that lactose and/or casein could have something to do with it. You guys have the best minds for this that I know. Thanks :)

A couple of things jump out at me. It doesn't seem like you are getting enough protein - you should have some at each meal. Also, have you had problems with candida or yeast? Your diet doesn't look too high in sugar, but if your "intestinal flora" is out of whack it could cause D. I went through something similar and I had good results by eliminating fruits and starches temporarily while taking large doses of probiotics. I ate protein and vegetables, mostly, with occasional berries. I did this for about a month. I've taken probiotics off and on for years and believe that they help a lot.

I just recently found a book called, "Restoring your Digestive Health" by Joseph Brasco MD and Jordan Rubin. It has some "weird" sounding stuff, but I know for sure that it has helped lots of people. (The friends that have done the program modified it somewhat and it still helped.)

Green12 Enthusiast
I've decided that for the next two weeks I'm going to only eat meat and veggies. Possibly just a little fruit, but I think I'd really like to do just the meat/veggie thing for a couple of weeks. The fruit just seems to trigger the need to eat more sweet things and I think I need to break that right now...later I'll add back some low sugar fruits that are lower in histamine. I'm still not sure that part of my problem isn't candida...I did react to candida when I had my allergy testing originally and I know that mold/fermented/sweet foods can aggravate that. I really need this two weeks to get everything out of my system I think.

But, but, but.... :lol: No Bumble Bars in over 3 weeks now (a definite record), and no chocolate in over a week. The soy lattes are a problem though. :ph34r:

Sounds like a good plan for you Donna.

I think the chocolate and the sodas have probably taken their toll, it will take some time to turn everything around I would think, it didn't happen over night.

You might be also having a problem with the soy in your lattes :unsure:

jerseyangel Proficient
OMG what is fast reply....just clicked on it - - am now doing it - - am scared....

totally premature post, but PATTI - - not the chocolate!!!

I haven't even tried fast reply yet! And yep--I think it's the chocolate :angry:

I would say the chocolate first, then maybe bananas (only because I'm mildly allergic :P ), possibly potatoes. I don't know Patti. Could it be a bug and nothing more....sounds like one has been going round.

Thanks Andrea--it better not be the potatoes--I'd starve! ;)

See you haven't left to shop yet.

I actually took the Immodium and went and got everything done fast! I'm back already :)

Patti, I am so sorry you are not feeling well. The chocolate stands out for me too, sorry I know it is so good, but it causes me nothing but problems- totally messes my digestion up. And I know you have a sensitive system/stomach as well.

I think you're right, Julie--it really helps to get other's takes on it.

A couple of things jump out at me. It doesn't seem like you are getting enough protein - you should have some at each meal.

I know I should, and when I do, I feel better--less hungry and actually think about food less. Thanks for the book recomendation and all of the good advice, Liz.

I will refrain from the chocolate and have some meat with my salad--thanks again everyone :D

Archived