This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss Suppourt Thread (shannonl) And Any Others Who Want To Join

Guest AutumnE

UR Groovy Explorer

Thanks, Ladies for the warm welcome.

Just thought I

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lonewolf Collaborator
Liz - Sorry that I annoyed you with suggestions. I was just trying to help. You won't hear another suggestion out of me.........So how much weight do you want to lose by the way or are you just maintaining?

Diana - oh please don't think that I'm annoyed with you. That's a problem with message boards and email - you can't read the "tone". And you were absolutely RIGHT! I DO need to cut my carbs and you were observant to see that in my meals. I should have said "LOL". I'm a PE and Health teacher and I've had a lot of training in nutrition - I just need to put my knowledge into practice. I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds. Twenty would probably be fine, but I want to be in better shape to do the triathlons I like to do in the summer. I'm not nearly in good enough shape right now. I had surgery in the fall that set me back and I gained some weight that I haven't been able to get off.

Kathy - Welcome to the group! It's good to "see" you here. There's a recipe for Samoa type cookies on here somewhere. Maybe you could do a search.

Patti - glad to see you're still with us! How nice that you could enjoy your cake! I'm going to allow myself to have a dessert on Saturday, since I love to bake and don't want to make myself feel too deprived. I'm trying to plan something good and not chocolatey.

Shirley - I was wondering where you were yesterday, glad you're back today.

I had a hard time at the store this morning. I kept thinking, "That looks good! No, it's too fattening, wait until Saturday." And just the thought of typing in what I eat for all to see is a good deterrant.

So far today:

B - Homemade turkey sausage - probably 2-3 oz (divided 1 lb between 6 people)

S - Strawberry 100% fruit leather

L - Stir-fried chicken, onions, celery and peppers, apple

D - Chicken, black bean and salsa soup, apple - YUM

Cottage-Soul Apprentice

I've been gluten/wheat/dairy free for 2 weeks now and haven't seen any weight loss at all. Is this normal?

My basic meals go something like this:

B - gluten free cereal and soymilk or a couple scrambled eggs

L - small green salad with cucumbers and celery with gluten-free dressing

2 regular sized gluten-free hotdogs with mustard (no buns)

little box of raisens

S - handful of Mrs. May's almond crunch

D - chicken breast cut up as fajita meat with gluten-free seasoning, green pepper and onion

1 corn tortilla

1/2 cup refried beans

I may have a Diet rite cola later with a squirt of tequila and if I get really hungry I might eat a small bowl of tortilla chips or Fritos.

I am checking labels for any gluten, wheat or dairy. I am a experienced dieter...lost 20 lbs. on the Carb Addicts plan..gained it back within a year. Lost 35 lbs. on the Fat Flush plan 2 years ago, kept it off for about 6 months, then the weight returned no matter what I did...and I tried every diet I could think of to no avail. Low carb, good carb, fruits/vegs/nuts (the minister's diet), low calorie (at 1500 calories per day I still can't lose more than maybe 7 or 8 lbs. before I plateau), Sangria La diet, etc.. I have about 50 pounds to lose now and am about ready to throw in the towel! :(

I've been checked for Hypothyroidism on several occasions and the results always come back normal. I do have a LOT of hypo symptoms though.

Help!

Viola 1 Rookie

Hello Cottage Soul, welcome to our group :D Do you have a first (or second) name that we could use?

Diets are hard at the best of times, but winter is harder because you really can't get out and stretch your legs with all the ice and snow. And of course all the veggies and fruit are more expensive in the winter. Summer you can just go out to the garden ... but then the corn on the cob is my favourite, and I don't think it's all that good for dieting :lol:

Liz, when hubby and I were in town to see the doc the other day we kept ending up in the candy and ice cream isle. I had to keep telling him that we have got to get out of there! :lol: I think there is a magnet that just draws you in. :huh: Must be, we wouldn't do that deliberatly would we? :lol:

You have been doing super well with that basket ball team! Way to go!

Patti, no you don't have to drink all that water! Thank heaven for that. The last time I had to do that I was told to drink it before I left home, and it's an hour drive to the hospital! I was stopping to dribble at every outhouse, trying not to pee too much to ruin the test, but I had to go some or would burst! :lol: This time it is a two hour drive and I don't want to go through that!

Kathy that cleanse sounds interesting. I'm not sure about the apples though as I react to apple juice, and rarely eat an apple. Considering we have a half dozen apple trees, that's a little strange, but thankfully hubby can drink apple juice. Also it talks about using a laxitive ... As I already go three or four times a day, I'm not sure that would be a good idea. But will go over it again later and see if there are alternatives. I think first I will wait the ultrasound to make sure that is what we are dealing with.

Hope you had a good walk!

Okay, so today I had;

B- gluten-free cereal and skim milk

S- none

L- low fat peanut butter and banana sandwich

S- popcorn

D- Filet of sole with lemon pepper spice, boiled potato and carrots

S- will be popcorn and maybe a square of carmel chocolate :ph34r: Probably a glass of wine too I think I've saved enough callories :P

UR Groovy Explorer

Hi Ladies,

I was so excited to join this thread that I did go for my walk. As far as late-night snacking, I only had one 150 cal. serving of potato chips. Okay... I had a few tortilla chips during American Idol, but that

jerseyangel Proficient

Ooh--Kathy, can I be jealous? 72 degree weather, walking outside and tending your garden :rolleyes: Sounds wonderful--it'll be a few more weeks for us.

I tend to eat much the same things every day, since there are a lot of foods that don't agree with me. I try to fill up my diet with the more nutritious foods that I can tolerate--because not only can I tolerate sugar, I love it :ph34r::lol: A not-so-good habit I have is eating chocolate chips out of the bag.

I had my usual fruit/almonds and bacon this morning. Lunch will be a large salad with leftover chicken, carrots and olives in it.

I don't know yet about dinner--I think it's time to clean out the fridge, so probably leftovers. :D I made butterscotch pudding, so that will be dessert.

I weighed myself this morning, no change. I'm thinking that since I lost the 10 pounds, I might be on a plateau now. That's fine, as long as I don't gain!

Shirley--with the 2 hour drive I'm so glad you don't have to do the water. I shudder to think.....I was only 15 minutes from the medical office and almost burst! :o

Hi Liz, Diana, Autumn, Shannon, Cottage Soul, Cathy, and everyone! Hope you all have a good weekend :)

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi Everyone! Welcome Cottage Soul!

I'm on the computer because I'm starving and don't want to snack. This is the hardest time of the week for me - Friday afternoon after teaching 8 PE classes and being exhausted by a busy week. I want to eat everything in sight while I'm making dinner. Maybe posting this will help me be strong.

I've done pretty well today, so far.

B - 3 chicken sausage links and an apple

L - 2 pieces deli turkey on half a rice tortilla, carrot sticks, apple

S - apple

D - will be chicken, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes and salad

I'm just telling myself to have self-control until I get my "treat" tomorrow. I might make the Samoa cookies that are on another thread.

Have a good weekend everybody!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie

Hi everyone;

Kathy, I can't believe we are sitting here with still a foot and a half of snow and it's 72 degrees at your place :( I need a crying icon on here :lol:

It's been a busy day here today. Hubby and a friend have been busy installing a water treatment system in the house. We have been boiling our water for a couple of years, so it's going to be nice not to have to do that anymore. Anyway, they got it almost finished and realized that they forgot to put a valve on one part of it. :lol: Anyway, they turned the water back on and will hopefully finish it tomorrow. We'll see.

While they were busy with that, I finished sewing a big fleece pillow (with dogs all over it) a fleece fringed throw and a tote bag, the big pockets have dogs inside a pieced dog house. Quite cute. I also got four cushion covers cut out, will have to sew them up with piping tomorrow hopefully. All this stuff goes to the Kennel Club raffle during our summer dog show.

Liz, with all the exercise, I can't figure out how you need to diet! I would be worn skinny for sure trying to keep up with you :huh: I think you are weighing all that muscle and not fat :o

Today I've had

B - cereal with skim milk

No snack

L- one piece of bread with low fat cheese spread, an orange and popcorn after

S- three pieces of a caramel bar (that's all that was left) :ph34r:

D- left over potato and carrots, salad and a piece of low fat cheese for protien. No fat Italian dressing on the salad

S- I've got a bowl of popcorn sitting here :lol: What on earth would I do without popcorn!

Have a great weekend everyone!

lonewolf Collaborator
Liz, with all the exercise, I can't figure out how you need to diet! I would be worn skinny for sure trying to keep up with you :huh: I think you are weighing all that muscle and not fat :o

LOL. The only thing worse than having a lot of muscle weight is having a layer of fat on top! I've been an athlete all my life, but I have a horrid metabolism that seems to think every calorie should go into storage before it goes to energy. If I didn' exercise I'd weigh well over 200 pounds, I'm sure.

Guest AutumnE

WOW! Sorry about not being around for a bit, I have had a very busy last few days. I have been shopping and ordering all of my daughter's birthday stuff for her party this weekend, getting her easter stuff together, and just family stuff lately with alot of visiting with my parents and my husband's parents and my sister's house. My house is really showing me not being at home as the laundry is piled up and I have at least 5 loads of laundry to do today and bedding. I have to pick up a few odds and ends today at the grocery store for the week, probably fill Mike's gas tank while Im out today as he goes back to work tomorrow. Its been a very enjoyable week with having him home. Mike worked on my parent's computer and our scanner broke as we are making ashley's birthday dvd so we went over to his parents yesterday and was fiddling with theirs. Then we went to meijer's since dh saw an ad in the paper regarding a memory stick for the computer which will make transferring pics off memory cards a lot easier in the future. It was $50 bucks with a $40 rebate so it will only cost us $10 so not bad at all. We also had to get new dvd's to go with the burner we purchased since our old ones wouldnt work. We also had to get a new battery charger and the batteries for our camera. Ashley's pictures turned out sooo cute :) (yes Im a bias mommy!) she looked so old! When I get them back I'll scan them and show you all. It should be around March 21st.

Liz- Congratulations on the game again :)

kathy- Hello and Welcome to our little group :) My husband Mike and my daughter Ashley dont eat diet food but they do eat gluten free also. It is difficult for me to avoid the foods sometimes. My main issue is intolerances and allergies. It severely limits my diet. I dont count calories. No need since the only foods that dont bother me are good for me :) Im on a steady race to keep up my calories to make sure I dont eat too little. I walk also, about five times a week with my *walk away the pounds dvd* My daughter does it with me also. 72 degrees?? Im jealous too, its 30 degreees here now and this is the warmest we have had in months!

Patty-Congrats on the capri pants, Im excited for summer to come here and have a *new* wardrobe again :) I love shopping in my closet ;) I eat the same things also it does get boring but I know they wont upset my stomach. My only issue is making two separate things. One for me and one for my family.

Shirley-Im not sure where the bile goes? I do know my stomach is more sensitive to foods now. I have to be careful with what I eat but at least it is better than before. I'll see if I can find it on the net. If it is gallbladder you are very early getting diagnosed,I was also it usually takes years and years of having problems. I'm so excited for fresh fruits and veggies from the farmer's markets. I also miss feeding the ducks and swans at the river and taking Ashley to the park. Im so excited for summer to come. The pillow and blanket set sound adorable. I need to get back into my crafts. After Ashley's party I plan on getting more into my crafts while she naps.

Cottage Soul- Hello and welcome :) Im sorry your having such a difficult time with dieting. The only one that works for me well is paleolithic diet. I have always loved fruits and veggies so its been my favorite diet. It does take work though and is tough when my daughter is munching on things that I cant eat. Have you tried it yet? Are you exercising? How much water do you drink? Have you tried spearmint tea or cinnamon? They are suppose to level out your blood sugar spike and insulin levels and help keep foods from turning to fat. I doa percentage of mostly meat, then some veggies and fruit at my meals. Pop makes me stall and gain a few pounds of bloating if I drink soda it is very hard for me to lose which is why I tend to only drink water.

One other thing I wanted to mention was an article I saw about peppermint tea, They did a study on women with pcos and menopausal women and speartmint tea leveled out hormones, reduced facial hair, lowered testosterone levels, leveled out blood sugar, and lowered triglycerides. They used 1 teaspoon twice a day, the caffiene free kind without black tea added. I also mix 1 tablespoon of local honey with it. Its delicious too. It tastes like gum, something I havent had in a long time. Im hoping it will help me with my hormonal issues also.

Brunch- Im eating it now. I had a late start this morning since me and mike stayed up too late last night. Chicken salad, big and tasty. Peaches

Snack- 2 lara bars

Dinner- Probably steak with carrots, cauliflower and broccolli, applesauce

I hope everyone had a good weekend :) Im looking forward to this week and getting my house straightened up, things slowing down with Mike back at work, and Ashleys birthday party being underway. I made a test cake to see which colors I wanted for her clown cake and I think Im going to do a girlish kind of clown with pink and purple for the clown's outfit. I thought about renting a moon house but it was too much money so Im setting up a craft's area for the kids and a karaoke area. It's at my mother in law's church so we have plenty of room.

Guest AutumnE

Shirley - Im not sure if you have already found this out but here's some information on what happens to the bile after gall bladder removal- Open Original Shared Link

So basically it just drips into the small intestine and is absorbed through that. It makes sense why my diarrhea became so bad after it. I was in the middle of celiac disease being undiagnosed still. Eating pasta because it was low in fat and I wasnt absorbing with my villi at all and most of my hair fell out :unsure: I didnt say it to scare you though as since you have been gluten free so long Im sure your villi are healed just fine and you are probably absorbing just fine. Good Luck with your ultrasound on Tuesday. When is your dr's appt? Did he mark the u/s being faxed in ? I had to wait a few days for my information and I did look on the net to see what stones looked like so I could see it on the screen for myself ;) But it wasnt stones just sludge which means it really wasnt doing its job anyway.

Viola 1 Rookie
Shirley - Im not sure if you have already found this out but here's some information on what happens to the bile after gall bladder removal- Open Original Shared Link

So basically it just drips into the small intestine and is absorbed through that. It makes sense why my diarrhea became so bad after it. I was in the middle of celiac disease being undiagnosed still. Eating pasta because it was low in fat and I wasnt absorbing with my villi at all and most of my hair fell out :unsure: I didnt say it to scare you though as since you have been gluten free so long Im sure your villi are healed just fine and you are probably absorbing just fine. Good Luck with your ultrasound on Tuesday. When is your dr's appt? Did he mark the u/s being faxed in ? I had to wait a few days for my information and I did look on the net to see what stones looked like so I could see it on the screen for myself ;) But it wasnt stones just sludge which means it really wasnt doing its job anyway.

Thanks for this Autumn! It gives me an idea of what I may be looking at, and it's always a good thing to know something before hand. :D

I weighed in yesterday and didn't loose any weight this week :( However, I didn't gain any either, so guess that's okay. Then I was very bad and pigged out yesterday :ph34r: But I'm back to behaving myself today. I think I likely pigged out because I've been short on protien the past week with the doctor telling me no red meats until after the results of the ultrasound. ... I cheated and ate a pork chop yesterday :ph34r: but with low protien, I'm always hungry. We haven't done a shopping lately, so don't have a supply of chicken in the house, and I've only one piece of sole left, so will likely have that tonight. I'll give hubby the left over chops ... they really are so good though :rolleyes:

Wow, Autumn, you have been a busy lady! Sounds like you are having fun with it though, and that's a great thing! Gotta have some fun in this life. Will look forward to seeing those pictures.

Liz, it's a good thing you are an athlete then. You must be a really laid back person like my hubby. He can mow our acre of lawn, plus the orchard, my obedience ring and my agility ring with a hand mower, rototill the garden, weed wack all the shrubs and trees, and work out volunteer on the golf course and gain a pound or two. I'm always amazed he isn't skinny, he works so hard. Of course he does like to eat too. :lol:

Well, I have to go and help check out 10- 7 week old English Sheepdog puppies today, so best get busy. Anyone want a puppy that looks like a little panda bear???? :lol:

Today to far, just cereal with skim milk Probably a low fat peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch and Sole for dinner.

Will stick with popcorn for snacks as it is low fat. I'm paying for my bad behaviour yesterday :huh:

UR Groovy Explorer

Hellooooo,

I'm pooped. Let me tell you - it wasn't the etherial, daisies & butterflies weekend we had planned. Outdoor Spring Cleaning is not as dreamy as one might think. I discovered that when spinning the wheel of death by black widow vs. life that I have the ability to pre-plan, take precautions, and execute said plan. If I could just consistently carry that over into my diet, I'd be good to go.

I have to say, first of all, that it doesn't seem fair that you guys have to deal with snow & icy cold temps when it's like this here. It should be noted, however, that the sunshine is not taken for granted. We feel very fortunate. There's no place in the world I'd rather be. To be honest, I don't think I could possibly survive harsh weather conditions. I really think that I don't have thick enough skin (again, literally & figuratively) to do it. I call myself a weather wimp. But, take comfort - the warmer weather is coming your way too. Then, you too can take part in the fantastic world of Outdoor Spring Cleaning.

Nice to "Meet" you, AutumnE. Geez - 30 degrees? Wow. Anyway, I only seem to have pretty severe reactions (now that things have cleared up a bit) to wheat and chocolate. Dairy takes a whole day to see effects. After that, I haven't really noticed any clear problems with other stuff. I kind of blew the control when I did my elimination diet, so I'll have to do it a bit more systematically next time.

Don't despair, Shirley - I see weightloss in your future. Sadly, however, I see no puppies in mine - at least not until next year.

Did you try those cookies, Liz? I'm kind of curious how they turn out.

Jerseyangel, I'll allow you to be jelous of the weather if in turn, you allow me to be jelous about the fact that you can eat chocolate. I stopped eating it in my 20's. It' a Jeckyll and Hyde thing - it's not pretty.

Regarding the diet: What diet? I always have the best of intentions. There are two of me. There's the one that's so motivated and driven to accomplish my goals - the one who can withstand nearly intolerable levels of pain or sacrafice to get the job done, and then, there's the other one - the one who thinks she's invincible, and has an almost sadistic desire to throw caution to the wind and toss all previously decided upon objectives straight into the trashcan, and never give it a second thought until it's time to pay the Piper - the latter of which took place this weekend. That Redbridge Beer is pretty darn good for gluten-free, BTW. I discovered it last week.

So, I'll get back on track - tomorrow.

Soon, tomorrow will be today, and I can get back on the road to bathing suit season - which, by the way, is not what it used to be. Bikinis are a thing of the past. I say that in a confident tone - an, "I'm okay with that" tone. Yeah, that's okay, I suppose. <_<

Take care, burn calories & eat good stuff.

Viola 1 Rookie

Wow, it got up to a temperature of 10C, or 45F today :P It was so warm it turned our driveway to mud. So we are parking at the bottom and walking up. Oh the joys of snow/mud season :rolleyes: It won't dry up now until all the snow is gone. But I did enjoy the lovely warm day.

It was such fun playing with all the puppies today ... I was going to post them on my avatar this evening, but for some reason changing my avatar isn't cooperating. Oh well, will post them when I get back from Grand Forks. I love being in the kennel club, I can go and play with every one's puppies without going to the expense of breeding myself :lol: The best of both worlds. :D

Doesn't the Lame Advertisement post sound like a commercial? Don't think it quite belongs here.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I likely won't get back on until Tues. evening as I have that ultrasound in Grand Forks. Hopefully will catch everyone then :D

Guest AutumnE

Shirley- Good Luck on your ultrasound :) I'll be hoping for whats best for you and easily remedied so you can feel better. I would love to see the pics of the puppies, I love how they snuggle and sleep so easily when snuggled with you. I miss so much having a dog but I now am allergic to them. Im glad you had nice weather today. Our driveway is gravel so we get mud also when the snow melts. Im sorry your not feeling well, I hope it passes soon for you. Lame Advertisement is a spammer. I'll post in the technical forum so scott sees it to block her. It was nice here too similar weather but our snow didnt melt so it must have been a little colder.

Kathy- yikes black widow huh? We have had brown recluse in our shed before. My day of bikinis are long gone also, heck so are shorts. I have many spider veins from having my daughter and Im to the point where I wear capris. I went to school in scottsdale, arizona so I did enjoy the nice weather there but summers were a little too hot for my taste.

Good night ladies

Autumn

Kaycee Collaborator

My day of bikinis are also long gone. But hubby remembers a certain green one from what feels like 30 years ago! Got a photo of it somewhere, but I am sure I can't find it!

Been busy busy. Been under a bit of stress with ero (school inspectors) not a good report, but we will survive, they keep picking till they find something negative.

Yesterday I took part in a walk with about 2,300 other people and walked 5.4 kilometers. Took 50 minutes, and I think I shaved off 10 minutes from my last years walk. I did that one, just 3 weeks in from gluten free living. What really annoyed me, my workmate who I went walking with this morning was streets ahead of me, leaving me eating her dust. But then again out of about seven workmates, I was second in, I beat the boss. Yay! But I got a kick out of passing people half my age.

Today I am buggered.

So, I am back with a new book to write in my calories.

I had a thought this morning. We are overweight here, or else we would not be in this thread. How long have we been gluten free? Me for a year, and I have had absolutely no success in loosing, if anything, I am gaining. I know we are always told not to cut our calorie intake too low, and that makes a whole lot of sense, as the body will go into starvation mode. But I was just thinking that for years of being an undiagnosed coeliac means that I have probably been starving my body of important nutrients, even though I have eaten to excess, but maybe the damage was done prior to going gluten free, and that my body, and maybe yours has already reached that place where it is working in starvation mode and that it was so used to less calories (because a great deal of our food was not properly digested), so that now that I eat a reasonable amount of food it all goes where it shouldn't as my body is being very efficient and making use of every morsel available. With this in mind it is very hard not to be tempted to eat less than 1500 calories a day. But I don't seem to do that. I guess the answer is to do more exercise, but with working it is hard to do that. I walk at least once a day with the dog, and usually about three times a week with a colleague in the dark. Just a thought to depress me, meaning the battle is harder than for me and us than the general populace.

Breakfast: Yoghurt and canned apricots.

Morning tea: 6 corn crackers and peanut butter, banana

Lunch: Salad with next to no calories and leftover lamb. A apple

Afnernoon tea: Banana

Tea: Haven't started cooking yet, but I feel like quiche with a can of tuna, and veges and mashed spuds. For a treat maybe a little creme egg.

Cathy

Have had tea, exactly as said.

Today has been a good day. I know it has been good because I feel more sociable, more alive. First day back on track with diet for a few days and feeling good.

lonewolf Collaborator

Hope you all had a good weekend!

Cathy (Kaycee), Congratulations on doing so well in your walk!

I know that I seem to have the same trouble as you do with holding on to weight. I can only lose when I keep under 1500 calories and exercise. I went off wheat, dairy, eggs, soy and a few other foods almost 11 years ago. (I didn't know anything about Celiac or gluten intolerance at that point and was told it was wheat.) I actually did eat gluten free for that first year because I was so afraid I'd get wheat and I looked for gluten-free on foods to make sure that they were wheat free. Oats didn't agree with me.

Anyway, during the first 5 months I lost 45 pounds, maybe a bit more. I got down to 135 at 5'7, which for my body build is quite thin. I started gaining after that and gained every bit back, helped by being on Prednisone a few years ago. I don't want to get back to 135 - people thought I looked anorexic or like I had cancer. I'd be happy to be a size 8 or 10, which for me will happen when I get down to about 150.

Kathy (Fajitas), I didn't make the cookies. Instead I tried to make a healthy version of rice crispy treats (with honey and almond butter instead of marshmallows) and added carob powder and coconut. They were a disappointment, but the kids ate them all up. It was enough sweet for me to last for a week.

Shirley - I know you won't see this until Tuesday, but I'll be thinking about you. Hope your appointment goes well.

I weighed myself early and have lost 2-1/2 pounds this week! It's partly because of the time of month. I lost some "bloat" weight along with real weight. It's enough to get me motivated to stick with this for a while!

B - 2 pieces chicken sausage, 1/2 apple

L - chicken fajitas (onions and green peppers), a few bites of refried beans and about 1/2 C rice, a bit of salsa and guacamole and one corn tortilla. We went to a Mexican restaurant after church and I know that the fajitas are safe, so my daughter and I shared one order. We didn't eat the chips though, too afraid that they're fried in the same oil as flour tortillas and didn't want the calories. I was proud of myself for exercising self-control while still enjoying my meal.

D - spaghetti sauce with ground turkey over spaghetti squash, salad with Italian dressing.

Oh, and bikinis - ha! :lol: I've never had the body for a bikini and never will now, at 43. I'm just hoping I can get my psoriasis under control so I can get into a modest one piece this summer. I love swimming, but sometimes go the whole summer barely doing it because of my skin.

Guest AutumnE
I had a thought this morning. We are overweight here, or else we would not be in this thread. How long have we been gluten free? Me for a year, and I have had absolutely no success in loosing, if anything, I am gaining. I know we are always told not to cut our calorie intake too low, and that makes a whole lot of sense, as the body will go into starvation mode. But I was just thinking that for years of being an undiagnosed coeliac means that I have probably been starving my body of important nutrients, even though I have eaten to excess, but maybe the damage was done prior to going gluten free, and that my body, and maybe yours has already reached that place where it is working in starvation mode and that it was so used to less calories (because a great deal of our food was not properly digested), so that now that I eat a reasonable amount of food it all goes where it shouldn't as my body is being very efficient and making use of every morsel available. With this in mind it is very hard not to be tempted to eat less than 1500 calories a day. But I don't seem to do that. I guess the answer is to do more exercise, but with working it is hard to do that. I walk at least once a day with the dog, and usually about three times a week with a colleague in the dark. Just a thought to depress me, meaning the battle is harder than for me and us than the general populace.

With me calories dont count honestly. I can eat 1500 calories and if they are high carb foods forget about it. It wont budge. Low carb is the only way I can lose. I have to eat a paleo diet. I have dieted for over 7 years and this was the only thing that worked. Im sure my intolerances have something to do with it and my allergies. I have insulin resistance also which makes the fat storage more likely instead of burning it. My mom is always surprised that I cant just cut back on rice and potatoes and that I actually have to not eat them at all. Now I have asthma problems and rashes so it makes it easier for her to understand my situation.I exercise about a half hour five times a week but I do that for glaucoma more than losing weight plus it has given me loads of energy which I didnt have before. congratulations on coming back to your old eating habits and its nice to see you here again :) Nice walk also, I miss long walks like that. I cant wait till summer gets here.

Liz-

My perfect weight is 140 lbs. Im 5 '10 1/2 but I have a super small frame. My wedding ring size is a 4 1/2. I hold my weight well and people are always suprised when I tell them how much I weigh. They just assume Im big boned. How is spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce? I have heard of it but havent tried it. I cant try it now with veggies being out of season and corn used to ripen them but Im anxious to try it in the summer.

Im going to try and be around the next few days, we had a a tragedy with our family friend's inlaws family. You might have heard it on the news. (WARNING Graphic and disturbing)

Open Original Shared Link

so Im not sure how much I will be around this week.

Breakfast- steak and eggs with applesauce

Lunch- Frozen strawberries and chicken salad

Snack- 2 lara bars

Dinner- Pork chops, cooked cabbage with green pepper and celery, more applesauce

I weighed today also, no weight loss this week but I knew I was bound to plateau soon so its just a bit of time before it will likely come off again.

Take Care

Autumn

Kaycee Collaborator

Autumn, that is so awful about your friends family. We will be thinking of you.

And yes I know what you mean about those carbohydrates. They make me hungrier, I am trying to limit them. I am now trying to go as natural as possible with the food I eat, except for the chocolates. I really avoid all those additives as when I eat too many of them, my body complains and I just don't know what to blame, or what it was, or whether it was gluten. I will just have to use the Kiss theory (keep it simple stupied) I also wander around with a pedometer and it says today I have walked 15,000steps. Not bad

We've had a tragedy or two here in hometown Whangarei. A young 18 year old Korean exchange student was mown down and killed in a carpark at 3am yesterday morning waiting to buy tickets for an upcoming Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert. For some reason he was lying down in the carpark. And on the same day a couple was found dead in their car in a paddock off the main road, they had probably been there for 24 hours.

But I am fine, a bit tired now

Walked this morning at 5.45 on my own, in the dark with the radio. I managed to find someones drivers licence and community support cards on the side of the road. Luckily we had a trainee cop at work so I handed it over to him and he can do the rest. Had another walk this pm, but it was a bit easier with the dog poppy.

It takes me 45 minutes driving before I get to work, yet work is only a 10 minute walk from home! But I have to drop my son of at polytech on the other side of town and then the other son off at school in rush hour traffic. Mind you rush hour here is nohting like rush hour in other cities, as it takes 15 minutes to get to the other side of town. Small city.

Today, I ate

Breakfast: small pottle of yoghurt. 2 corn crackers with peanut butter

Morning tea: More crackers with peanut butter.

Lunch: Quiche from last night, yummy and a banana

Tea: Have just had a few chips with 2 honey and soyed chicken drumsticks and a stir fry from scratch. Could have another creme egg later if I still have calories to spare.

Cathy

Guest AutumnE

Thanks Cathy, Im sorry your town is having tragedies also. Excellent walking too :) I live in a very tiny town. Im thinking about 1 mile of town total if that much :)

I have been drinking spearmint leaves also, no breathing problems with it Yeah! and I mixed it with local honey. I found a bee keeper down the road who sells it. Its almost like having candy again :D

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi everyone! I hope to "see" you all soon on here. How's everyone else doing?

Autumn - you're not that unusual with needing to eat relatively low carb. It's a healthy way for a lot of people to eat. I do better for sure when I don't eat grains, potatoes or corn, or just eat one of them once a day. Spaghetti squash is delicious topped with spaghetti sauce. Are you sure it would be contaminated with corn? It's a squash with a hard outer layer that has to be picked when it's ripe - if you pick it green it will always be inedible. You only eat the inner part - not any of the outer skin. I get mine from the health food store or the organic section of the grocery store and they keep for a couple of months in a cool, dark closet.

I'm having some opposition here. My hubby went to the store and bought more chocolate and 4 pints of coconut sorbet. Nothing like a little temptation :angry: . I am trying to be strong, but I'm a little ticked that he did that when we still have several pounds of dark chocolate here, I gave up chocolate until Easter and I'm trying really hard to diet. And I LOVE coconut sorbet.

Today I probably ate too little. I'm getting excited about being "good" and now that I've broken my sugar/carb addiction it's getting easier.

B - 1 piece of turkey bacon on my way out the door to take the kids to school. (My day off!)

S - 1 oz raw goat cheese and an apple

L - Leftover spaghetti squash and sauce

D - 1-1/2 bowls of white chicken chili soup, salad with no dressing.

My girls lost their basketball game this afternoon :( , but they played well and we'll get 'em next time. My daughter smacked her head on the floor really hard and missed over half the game. I almost took her to the ER, but she's looking and acting better, so I'll just make sure to wake her up a couple of times tonight and check on her.

UR Groovy Explorer

Hi all,

I decided I wasn

Kaycee Collaborator

Hello Kat, thanks for that, I'm quite happy to call you Kat. Now I will know who I am talking to, because at times even my mother could not remember whether my name started with a K or a C, hence I call myself Kaycee! Well on here anyway, for years it was always Catherine as my dad wanted my whole name, as that is what they christenend me as. I shortened it to Cathy when I left school. Mothers, how can my mother ever forget what mine starts with! Still I love her and it is just one lof the ittle things about my mother that makes me smile.

Cathy

Maeve Newbie
Hi Cathy,

you're right - there is a lot to think about and a lot to remember.

My first question would be to you are, are you exercising?

If yes, my second is, are you strength training?

After that, there is a lot to consider. I am not sure if you are eating an ideal amount for you, as I don't know your height, weight, bone structure, activity level, and so on.

You can figure out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) with a site like this: Open Original Shared Link. Those are the calories that you need per day just for your body to function. Use that number to apply this: Open Original Shared Link, for how much you will burn.

As I mentioned above, where the calories come from is important too. You cannot eat 2000 calories of one thing - you really need to balance complex carbs, good fats, and proteins.

I can help you more if you'd like, I just need a little more info!

Hope this helps for now.

Maeve Newbie

Hello to you all. Your info. has been helpful. I'd like to join, not so much to write list but to connect. I was DX'd with Celiac 1 month ago. Long story and health issues with that, but you've heard them all. Thing is, I thought I would lose weight and I am not, in fact, I've probably gained a pound. I feel like my body won't give anything up, like it was starving and doesn't want to go back to it. Damage was severe to body and the one month has shown some improvements but I think I will be one of those 6 months to 2 years for healing. I exercise, eat well, but taste buds have come back and my gluten free expirements taste really good. I dont' eat junk,(except my own popcorn) limit the rice cakes (only as sandwich for lunch). I do like wine and popcorn at night. I limit sweets, eat balanced meals, do great during week, then on weekends, I find everything I make delicious. Eat small amounts, but often. Walk always, am lax on the weight training, need to get back to that. I gained my winter weight and figured I'd lose with the DX, but body is holding on. Calories probably 1500 average a day ( I eat less during week and am very satisfied but when at home I get into flavors and tastes, and it feels good for once) I'm middle aged, short, about 6-New person, need help!10 lbs overweight but still a size 10. Has anyone had experience where your body adjusts in time? What was is like for people in the beginning? I hate to do without, but I should cancel my delicious bread and add more fruit. The lists of everyone are impressive. Thanks for listening. Maeve

Archived