Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

My Daughter Was On The News!

My daughter, her cousin and 2 of their friends were interviewed by a local TV station this morning and then featured several times during the day. They are in a national competition that integrates science and community issues and they are finalists. Their idea is to put lights on the (Mt. Rainier) volcano evacuation signs in the valley near us. If they win, they get $25,000 to put their idea to work. They fly to Disney World next month for the competition (and I found a way to go too!).

I just had to brag about them! All four of them were also starters on our basketball team (I was the coach) that tied for first place this season. They have worked so hard at everything they've done this school year and it's so nice to see them rewarded. It's nice to see 13 and 14 year olds in the news for doing something positive, rather than for shooting someone or stealing a car.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Liz, you are so right--the good kids do not get enough recognizion. Congrats!!!!!

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

COngrats!!!

(though if they do put the lights up, I hope they use light pollution friendly lights and not that glaring crap that is destroying out skies and nocturnal wildlife around the country more and more every day! )

- Vincent -

That is so great, you must be so proud, you will have to let us know what happens next month. tell them good luck from all of us.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Liz,

Congratulations to your daughter! You must be so proud. You are right -- it is SO refreshing to see good kids recognized on television!!! Tell her "WAY TO GO!!!!!!" :D

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

Oh Liz--that's wonderful!! :D They sound like very well-rounded young women. You have every reason to be proud--and you're right, we don't hear enough about all of the good kids out there.

Congrats to all the girls and their parents!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Liz ~ congratulations to your dd, her friends and all the parents!! That is COOL!

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

A "bit" proud?? What awesome kids... you have complete and total bragging rights!!!

luvs2eat

Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas

positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy

diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day

Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!