Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IsAMom

Gluten Free Oats

My mom got a free sample of these oats from a celiac booth posted at a local marathon. Has anyone heard of this company?

www.glutenfreeoats.com

What is your take on it? Thanks much for your replies.

Annette in MN

Annette in MN

IsAMom to Isaac(7), Isabel(5) and Isaiah(4)

diagnosed celiac 4/1998

Both DSs diagnosed 4/2006 at 5 & 2 yrs of age

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have never heard of them, but I miss oats. I am going to order and give it a try.....

"The only thing constant in life is change"

Celiac not confirmed, but positive results with diet change

Gluten free since 10/06

I'm sorry but I don't have time right now to look up the website but I can tell that if this company is from Powell wyoming , I eat them all the time. I also love Lara's Oats from Canada gluten-free also. I think there might be one more gluten-free oats company but I don't remember the name of it.

mamaw

Oh, I'm so happy to hear this! I almost want to cry :lol:

Annette in MN

IsAMom to Isaac(7), Isabel(5) and Isaiah(4)

diagnosed celiac 4/1998

Both DSs diagnosed 4/2006 at 5 & 2 yrs of age

You won't want to hear from me then. I ordered these oats about 3 months ago after I was first diagnosed because our Gastro gave us a sample to try.

The first time I ate them I had a reaction, but I thought perhaps since I was so newly diagnosed at that time that perhaps it was just my over sensitive stomach. So about a week later maybe 10 days later or so I tried them again and the Same reactions. I wasn't going to try them a third time.

I guess some of us just can't eat oats period ! They did say there were Gluten-Free and everything, but they didn't work out well for me.

Gluten Free Oats are certified gluten free. I talked to the president of the company several times before I offered those at our local gluten free food fair event last May. I eat that brand of oats regularly as cooked cereal and have absolutely no reaction. I'm VERY sensitive to gluten, dairy, soy, eggs and cane sugar and react with intense cramping pain, bloating and gas. So I know within a few hours whether a food has any of my allergens. There are other gluten free certified oats which are more difficult to digest, because of higher fiber content, but Gluten Free Oats are very digestible and uncontaminated. ENJOY!

BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

My mom got a free sample of these oats from a celiac booth posted at a local marathon. Has anyone heard of this company?

www.glutenfreeoats.com

What is your take on it? Thanks much for your replies.

Annette in MN

I have not heard of those, but I do know that Bob's Red Mill has gluten-free oats. They were giving them out at the Gluten Free Summit. They are in a pretty big bag. :)

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

I have not heard of those, but I do know that Bob's Red Mill has gluten-free oats. They were giving them out at the Gluten Free Summit. They are in a pretty big bag. :)

Are you sure they were from Bob's Red Mill? Last time I called them (March 14, 2007), they told me while they hope to one day offer gluten-free oats, they had no immediate plans to do so. They aren't on their gluten-free list, either. Just curious, as I'd love to have another source for gluten-free oats.

As far as the brand the original poster asked about it, yes, I have tried them, and they are quite good. I am able to tolerate them, but my son is not. In Dr. Green's book, he states that there is a small subset of celiacs that cannot tolerate any oats, gluten-free or not. Seems like my son is in the can't tolerate them category. :(

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Are you sure they were from Bob's Red Mill? Last time I called them (March 14, 2007), they told me while they hope to one day offer gluten-free oats, they had no immediate plans to do so. They aren't on their gluten-free list, either. Just curious, as I'd love to have another source for gluten-free oats.

As far as the brand the original poster asked about it, yes, I have tried them, and they are quite good. I am able to tolerate them, but my son is not. In Dr. Green's book, he states that there is a small subset of celiacs that cannot tolerate any oats, gluten-free or not. Seems like my son is in the can't tolerate them category. :(

They ARE Bob's Red Mill. They just came out with it and introduced it at the Gluten Free Summit. Here is a link to their News page where they tell about it. They are Gluten Free Whole Grain Rolled Oats. Brand New :) Enjoy!

http://www.bobsredmill.com/in_the_news.php

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

BTW- I noticed they aren't on the list too, so I don't know what's up with that?!?! Maybe just an oversight....

Way cool! Thanks for the tip!

-Colleen

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

-Colleen

No problem! :)