Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joyous

How Tall Are You?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Joyous

I'm 4' 10 1/2 inches tall. I wear size 2 1/2 sneakers and casual shoes. I wear size 4B in heels. The dress shoes are difficult to find. When I get desperate, I drive to Bay City to Allans shoes. They can surround me with any kind of shoe I could possibly want in my size. I could lose my mind over so much to chose from. Last time I bought 3 pairs. LOL!

By the way, I think you are the second from the left. Is that right?

I suppose it's fun to be small, but it can be a pain too. It least I'm unique. Oh well, it's best to be happy with what we are.

neesee

I'm 5' 2 1/2". My Mom was 5 ft and my Grandma was 4'11".

Osteoporosis, and sacroiliac arthritis diagnosed 32 yrs of age.  Chronic low wbc, Severe constipation, Migraines, severe GERD, multiple miscarriages, Sjrogen's disease, positive ANA, thyroid nodules (hyperthryoid), fatty liver disease with elevated enzymes, low vitamin D, low protein, IBS, SIBO, Discoid lupus, mulitple food allergies and massive hair loss.  I left my career because I was too sick to keep working, and it was devastating because I couldn't apply for disability without a diagnosis.  My daughter was a preemie and she has Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) and had a positive ANA and Rheumatoid Factor at 16 and now has been dx'd with Hashimoto's.

Allergic to:  corn, rice, beans, tomatoes, dairy.  Not diagnosed as celiac.

5'7"

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

5'2" and a sneeze B)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

I'm 5'8". Believe it or not, I'm the runt of the family. :lol:

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

I'm 5'1"and so are mom and sis. It's genetic, but we all have celiac disease too, trigered as adults. It seems that short stature as a symptom would only occur in those who had active celiac disease as a child. When I live in Japan I realized there was a world full of people my size and felt gloriously average.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I'm 4'10" and a size 1. It's great because I can share clothes with my 7 year old!

Be careful when you pick your child up at school. When my dd was 7, I went to the school to bring her home and a teacher hollered at me and tried to stick me in line for the bus :lol: The school only had grades 1-4.

neesee

It figures, I'm tall for a woman (5'7'') well, I look taller because I have broad shoulders and I'm thin, but my boyfriend is 6'5''. Of course I couldn't date a normal guy, I have to fall in love with the Jolly Green Giant. It's ok, I just stand one stair up or on the bed to hug him proper! Doesn't really affect anything else... ;) ;) nudge nudge.....

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I'm a 5'0" female.

I actually like being short and never thought it might be a symptom of something. It was harder as a kid though. Guess which one I was? :lol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/cha...rony/Joy011.jpg

I'm 5'5", but I think that if not for Celiac I would have been closer to my sister's height of 5'11". I was always one of the tallest girls in my class until my growth seemed to stall around age 11, about the same time I started having Celiac symptoms.

Kate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Celiac symptoms since 1985 (gluten-free since 9/2/07)

Vitiligo since 1991

Environmental allergies since 1992

Polycystic Ovary Disease since 1993

HLA DQA 1*05 (DQ5)

I'm 5'1" and shorter than every single one of my students!

Wow, answers all over the board. I think the age of onset does matter (as well as the age of diagnosis since kids can experience catch up growth if they're put on a gluten free diet), but I think that some people who think they didn't get it until they were adults had it as a kid, it improved as they got older, and was then reactivated at some point in their adulthood. (At least that's what I read. *shrug*)

By the way, I think you are the second from the left. Is that right?

Yes. I was like a head shorter than any of my classmates. The girl to the left of me was the second shortest. I think they must have put her on the end so I didn't look as weird. :blink:

Joy

Not gluten free yet because I'm waiting to be tested.

I'm another tall one. I stand 5' 11 1/2 inches. I really like being tall, but finding slacks that fit and shoes. God help us, SHOES :D . I wear a 12 on a good day, and my hiking boots and running shoes are 13's. And my foot is so narrow I can't just switch to men's shoes. Forget about dress shoes...

Fran

I'm 4'10" and a size 1. It's great because I can share clothes with my 7 year old!

lol my mother in law did this with her daughters and shoes, she wasn't as skinny as them - wasn't a "fitgirlie" :) but always thought it was funny that they shared shoes.

Yes. I was like a head shorter than any of my classmates. The girl to the left of me was the second shortest. I think they must have put her on the end so I didn't look as weird. :blink:

i think it made the picture look weirder :D not as balanced...

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

It seems you're either too tall or too short, I'm in the shorties, I once said at the ER that I was 5ft and the guy laughed at me, said i wasn't even 4"10 which is actually how tall I am so he was right :D I dont mind being short but there's times where I wish I had a few more inches on me, especially when buying dresses or pants, its hard to find size 1 or now 0 pants [now that i'm at my lowest weight of 80lbs]

I swear I used to be taller, I remember being 5'7", but low and behold, they tell me I am 5'5". My friend Kev and I originally met online and he was afraid I was going to look him right in the eye because I actually thought I was 5'7-5'8 at the time and on the day we met, he laughed, as he was looking down at me and said, "Silly, you are only about 5'5!" I have always looked up to him, that was 5 yrs ago! :P

Short stature is only one symptom out of what seems like 100's for a celiac, not all celiac children are short. Sometimes height is determined by family heritage and my mother's family has some short people, the celiac is from my dad's side and there are really tall people there, so, go figure. I truly believe my youngest son has celiac disease and he is 6'3. My sister is a diagnosed celiac, we know she was vitamin deficient at 6 or 7 yrs old and she is 5'3, yet her legs are just as long as mine. Our mom used to be 5'4", she has had back surgery and has lost some height now at 71 yrs of age.

I remember when my sons all grew taller than me, I was so shocked. For some reason, in my mind, my babies would never get taller than me, I guess, just because they are my babies. I have 4 sons and 1 daughter. She is the same height as me and they are 6', 6'2, and two are 6'3. The boys love looking down at me and they love the fact that I get dizzy when I look up at them, it is a neuropathy quirk of mine, they all know they have to keep an arm around me when they stand close, yet they think it cute. My grandkids are tall too. So far anyways.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!