This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tough Times...

Shawn

Shawn Apprentice

Well, it happened. I fell. Twice now in the last three weeks, I succumbed to my gluten craving. 1st time with something by Hostess (thank G-d they only come in packages of two!). Then, yesterday, my son wanted chicken Teriaki, and I ordered some for myself. Terribly light-headed and itchy both times, among other things. Today I went to Starbucks, and their lemon loaf looked too good. I bought some but haven't tasted it yet.

Help! What should I do? I'm not sure I have the will power to stay on this diet! I feel too deprived. I hate having to eat gluten-free.

Has anybody had this experience? How does one get back "on the wagon"?

Thank you for your help,

Shawn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nikky Contributor
Well, it happened. I fell. Twice now in the last three weeks, I succumbed to my gluten craving. 1st time with something by Hostess (thank G-d they only come in packages of two!). Then, yesterday, my son wanted chicken Teriaki, and I ordered some for myself. Terribly light-headed and itchy both times, among other things. Today I went to Starbucks, and their lemon loaf looked too good. I bought some but haven't tasted it yet.

Help! What should I do? I'm not sure I have the will power to stay on this diet! I feel too deprived. I hate having to eat gluten-free.

Thank you for your help,

Shawn

ahh the word cookies comes to mind. Everyone finds it hard from time to time and we all deal with it in different ways. DO NOT eat the lemon loaf you purchased today.

I know its hard but you can do it, you have to believe in yourself, dont put yourself down. Something i find effective is to take a treat where-ever possible, that way im not tempted to cheat.

Good luck we are all hear for you.

fedora Enthusiast

I was at the grocery store and the gluten free cookies were on sale. I bought 8 boxes!!! I don't binge on them, just when I absolutely need a treat they are there. I keep a box in the car. I had to get one out during the kid's akido pizza party. I had one today while the kids were eating Easter candy from school. I also have wonderful gluten free chocolate bar here. It is essential for me because chocolate is my special treat. I also can't have dairy. I do not feel deprived. I have wonderful food I eat, I just make sure I always have some everywhere I go. I am scared of eating out, but sometimes risk it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't know if you realize it but gluten is an addictive substance. When you continue to eat gluten after your diagnosis you are keeping the addictive process going. You need to find safe alternative treats to eat and keep those with you at all times. The longer you are able to stay away from temptation the sooner the withdrawal will be over with. The withdrawal from gluten normally takes about three weeks. Many of us have a very hard time during this period, and things can be up and down emotionally. So be prepared for that.

Shawn Apprentice
I don't know if you realize it but gluten is an addictive substance. When you continue to eat gluten after your diagnosis you are keeping the addictive process going. You need to find safe alternative treats to eat and keep those with you at all times. The longer you are able to stay away from temptation the sooner the withdrawal will be over with. The withdrawal from gluten normally takes about three weeks. Many of us have a very hard time during this period, and things can be up and down emotionally. So be prepared for that.

Hi - thank you for reminding me of the gluten addiction.

The problem is that I decided to compound things by going on Weight Watchers, so now I feel completely deprived. I think that was an unhealthy thing to do, especially since I don't really "need" to lose weight, I just want to. So when I feel deprived, I lash out, and I guess I lashed out on gluten goodies.

MELINE Enthusiast

well I try to feel like I am eating something just by smelling it. I mean I keep my nose on pizza for about 2 minutes untill I am satisfied...I don't know if it is going to help you....For me it is a satisfaction. And of course I keep thinking of all the terrible reactions of my body whenever I am accidentaly glutened. Then believe me I am not craving for any gluten at all.

And of course there is the addiction that is mentioned...The addiction will eventually go away but you have to keep that gluten-free diet.

As time goes by I am sure you can control yourself better. Just think of all the damage in your villy and yes think of all the bad things that can happen to you if you keep getting gluten. Just google "relates disorders" and I guess you will not fell off the wagon again.

Remember that even with a small amount of gluten, damage is done (and you may not have any symptoms at all. But still damage is done)

I hope you find the strength to avoid gluten. Just focus on eveyrything else you can eat.

dbmamaz Explorer
The problem is that I decided to compound things by going on Weight Watchers, so now I feel completely deprived. I think that was an unhealthy thing to do, especially since I don't really "need" to lose weight, I just want to. So when I feel deprived, I lash out, and I guess I lashed out on gluten goodies.

Ok, then, obvious answer - dont drop the gluten-free diet, DROP THE WEIGHT-WATCHERS! A few extra pounds is MUCH better for you than eating gluten! Get healthy first, get really solid on the gluten-free thing, and maybe worry about your weight on your NEXT new years resolution! For now, be happy, healthy and gluten free . .. and eat chocolate!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wonka Apprentice

Make this instead. The recipe is from the Bob Red Mill site and is very good on it's own or used to make a trifle with. I've had non celiacs ask for the recipe.

Yellow Cake - Gluten-Free

Ingredients:

6 Tb Unsalted Butter (room temperature)

1 cup Sugar

2 large Eggs, beaten

1-3/4 tsp Grated Lemon Peel ( I add

celiacmegan Newbie

Really fast and easy peanut butter cookies, better than gluten pb cookies!

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

If you eat them warm they're all gooey and delicious.

gfpaperdoll Rookie

you can also add chocolate chips to those peanut butter cookies!!!!! B)

kbtoyssni Contributor

Do it for your son. If you want to be around to watch him grow up for as long as possible, you need to stay gluten-free.

Ivanna44 Apprentice

Thank you for your help,

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Ahhhhh the carvings!!!!!!! I'm just 3 weeks gluten-free and the first week was the worst. Every night I'd cheat in some way or another. The dang "Corn Pops" kept starring at me. :o nasty things. lol. It's like popcorn to me. Yes, I know I can have popcorn.

Maybe it would help if you had some other "fast" ideas that could help when you are out and about. I saw on an autism link related to families going gluten free. Some believe gluten is connection for behavioural concerns in autism. Some of those webpages might help you out too. I went to them, cause I craved the junk, and went to get ideas, figuring if it appeals to kids, it should appeal to those cravings we have like "chicken mcnuggets" so on. Just type in the google search, autism and gluten free.

At one of those sites they had a list of "goodies" you could have that were gluten free: they include: Skittles, Peanuts; After8 Dinner Mints; Potato Chips; Corn Tortilla Chips; Fritos Corn Chips; Jolly Rancher Candy; M&M's (except one in blue bag) 3 Musketeers Candy Bar; Snickers candy bar; Dove chocolates; Marshmellows (make some mock rice crispie squares) (or a baggie of mini marshmellows with chocolate chips/ m&m's) :P Keep some at your office desk (buy in bulk so to speak) Some in the car; and Some in a treat container that marked "just for you"

The first week; as mentioned I tended to give in at least once a day to the carvings. I also experienced a lot of headaches during that time. I was thankful to find out that headaches are a common withdrawl sympton. The 2nd week I did well all week, despite the Corn Pops starring at me :D ... Until the weekend, when we had spaghetti and I had my rice spaghetti and gave into the carving and had 2 slices of french bread (I love bread).. 2 hours later, I paid for it, my stomach problems returned I had not experienced it all week (that unsettled stomach feeling)... So I knew at that point that the doc's assumption was correct.. I have a gluten sensitivity issue.

The 3rd week I got myself a book by a Canadian dietician who specialized in celiac disease, and eating healthy; it also told you what brand name labels to look for. I found some gluten free cookies at a big chain drug store, oddly enough the rice pasta was cheaper there too. The cookies were on sale, I bought all the chocolate ones :P I also, found out from that book; that there was another gluten free bakery in Alberta; I searched the webpage on it, and found out my nearby grocery carried their products. I got some of the bread and some cinnamon buns by this gluten free bakery (they hide them in the ice-cream cake area of the grocery store)

Anyhow, this company's logo was correct. "Never Knew Gluten Free could taste so Good".. I had tried other gluten free baked goods, which to me, tasted like sand. The cinnamon buns were fantastic. They tasted like real food :D They came in a package of 6 (frozen) so I divide them up while stilll frozen into 2's. and just bring out 2 at a time. It's my treat, so to speak. Next to the chocolates :P

I also found it helpful, as I had gluten stuff starring at me in the cupboards. I bought a bunch of dollar store containers. That I labelled with every gluten free thing I could think of, for example: gluten free goodies (where I store my candy bars; and gluten-free rice crackers) I took over one part of the main food cupboard and put everything that was gluten free in the containers on that side. When I open the cupboard now, the only thing starring at me, is gluten free. I also; have in the fridge a small dollarstore basket where I store things like my divided up (2 pieces gluten-free bread) and gluten-free roastbeef; and other fridge goodies like coconut chocolate treats and the gluten-free cinnamon buns).... Again; I placed this fridge basket at a level I tended to starr at. I think little things like that, dividing up cupboards; and keeping a "special gluten-free foods plastic basket" in the fridge helped me quite a bit. Its hard when you are the only one in the house that is gluten-free .

Keep trying take on a FlyLady approach. One Ta-Da at a time. Pat yourself on the back, for each hour you remain gluten free.

hugs

Ivanna44 Apprentice
Make this instead. The recipe is from the Bob Red Mill site and is very good on it's own or used to make a trifle with. I've had non celiacs ask for the recipe.

Yellow Cake - Gluten-Free

Ingredients:

6 Tb Unsalted Butter (room temperature)

1 cup Sugar

2 large Eggs, beaten

1-3/4 tsp Grated Lemon Peel ( I add

Wonka Apprentice
Thank you Wonka,

For the delish sounding lemon cake. Sounds like a yummy Easter treat. Add on some sweetened coconut on top (lemon coconut cake is a fav. of mine) and double yummers. lol. :P

Thank you again for sharing

hugs

You're welcome. Enjoy.

bytey Newbie

Hi Shawn,

Sorry you are finding it tough! I am newly diagnosed and finding my way about at the moment but I have found a good way of starting out. I would avoid the weight watchers like the others say - it works if you cook for yourself but eating the processed products rarely works. I did weight watchers and lost weight but I was into processed and saved my points for alcohol and I went back to processed convenience and put half of it back on again. It did not change my habits. Those products can be a bit of a nightmare for Coeliacs and those trying to control their blood sugar and eat low-gi.

I lost weight using the Cambridge Diet and it worked so well I became a counsellor for the diet. The food plans are based on low-gi and teaching you a balanced healthy diet which is what makes it so worthwhile doing. It changed my eating habits completely and makes the acceptance of Coeliac for me a lot easier. I already cook freshly at home and meal plan so it does not seem so daunting.

Now I have triggered my coeliac disease I have actually returned to it and it is making my first few weeks and adjustments a lot easier. The reason is the majority of the meal replacements are actually gluten free. You may want to look in to it if you would like to lose weight and then work on healthy eating (gluten free) as you work up the plans. I have put myself on replacement now and swelling has gone down and I feel great. I am then going to work up the plans. next step is to work in white protein and veg (810 plan - Coeliac Friendly) and then when I add carbs (1000 plan) I am going to add gluten free carbs. My quinoa spaghetti and gluten free muesli at the ready. I am also using this as a bit of an elimination test. One morning I am going to chose to eat a piece of 3 grain bread (rye, barley and wheat) and see what happens.. I had ambiguous blood tests and the doc fobbed me off so many times with IBS I kind of need to do this just to prove to myself and family. Biposy coming up and I realise I could skew but I will know myself then. I like the irony it is shortened to celiac disease (Cambridge Diet & Coeliac Disease)

Anyway it occured to me you may want to use it to lose weight and introduce gluten free foods and new eating habits. You can find out about it here Open Original Shared Link

BUT even more important ;) here is a recipe for Gluten Free Teriyaki Sauce

120ml gluten free soy sauce (tamari - check gluten free)

120ml mirin (if you do not have mirin, use 120ml of sake and 1 tablespoon of sugar - if you want to be even more low-gi go for fructose instead!)

3 tablespoons of sugar (or use fructose and adjust quantity)

In a small saucepan mix together the soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Heat on low heat for about 3 mins and then let the sauce cool. You can store the sauce in a clean bottle in the fridge.

Enjoy!

Bytey

babygirl1234 Rookie

im the only one in my family (other then my kids) that is gluten-free so its hard not to be tempted around my family with reg food lol but like today im taking my pudding with me for desert

Shawn Apprentice

Thank you ALL for your support and empathy. I've been doing this gluten-free thing for 1.5 years now, and hadn't found it that difficult UNTIL I went on WW. The gluten-filled stuff is delicious but I do react to it pretty immediately and the reaction lasts for a week or more.

Today, at your suggestion, I made myself treats - gluten-free coffee cake and gluten-free corn muffins. Maybe it will be easier now to talk myself down from the Starbucks display case. I made them before I saw your recipe for cake and cookies. I'll have to make them next.

Gluten will make me sicker than indulging once in a while on a gluten-free treat. I looked for the Cambridge diet and saw that it is not readily available in the US. It looks good, though.

It's nice to know you're all there. Thank you again.

Shawn

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I know other people on here have done the Weight Watchers, but it just didn't work for me. I NEED to have my sweets and cooking for several people with multiple food allergies in one house is hard enough so tossing in Weight Watchers was too much! That being said, my weight stabalized for the first time in my life since going gluten-free/CF, so that is an incentive to stay gluten-free/CF :lol:

When I find gluten stuff that I REALLY want, but can't have I work on making a safe gluten-free version and then freezing some. I'm day dreaming about Ho-Ho's right now :P I'm sure I will pack on a few pounds when I get that recipe right, but it will be so worth it! The cravings are the worst when my gluten-free stock pile is low, so I try to make sure I have good snacks and mixes at all times.

(BTW just toss the gluten stuff you can't resist for a while. Sometimes there are no other options. The rest of the gluten eating family members can buy it and eat it outside of the house for a while.)

bytey Newbie

All that baking is making my mouth water! Shawn Cambridge Diet is definitely available in the US. It was started in the UK over 20 years ago and they sold it to the US so it goes under its own formulation and rules there. You may want to check on the gluten-free status. Here is one of the US links which I found Open Original Shared Link

Byteyx

ChicoYaYa Newbie

Ouch, I feel your pain. That's how it was for me, except I was wanting muffins with my tea at breaktime in the morning. The big thing at our office is to stop at Great Harvest and buy something for everyone. How do you say "no" to a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffin when someone has been so nice to do that for you, knowing it's your favorite!?!

Well, I started by making muffins and bringing them in to work and telling everyone "these are wheat-free, tell me what you think! My doctor says I need to avoid wheat."

(The only problem now is, no one else obviously is going to make gluten-free muffins, so they just don't buy them anymore! Now it's entirely up to me if I want a treat!)

I just decided it is up to me to take the bull by the horns, know my weaknesses, and anticipate by baking some goodies to have on hand. Yes, gluten is addictive but you can indulge in the occasional gluten-free treat and trick your brain into thinking it's satisfied!

And thanks Wonka for that great sounding lemon cake, I can't wait to try it! I have been looking for alternative recipes to make for a tea party, you know how gluten-laden everything usually is: the finger sandwiches, the scones, help!!

Ivanna44 Apprentice
Ouch, I feel your pain. That's how it was for me, except I was wanting muffins with my tea at breaktime in the morning. The big thing at our office is to stop at Great Harvest and buy something for everyone. How do you say "no" to a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip muffin when someone has been so nice to do that for you, knowing it's your favorite!?!

Well, I started by making muffins and bringing them in to work and telling everyone "these are wheat-free, tell me what you think! My doctor says I need to avoid wheat."

(The only problem now is, no one else obviously is going to make gluten-free muffins, so they just don't buy them anymore! Now it's entirely up to me if I want a treat!)

I just decided it is up to me to take the bull by the horns, know my weaknesses, and anticipate by baking some goodies to have on hand. Yes, gluten is addictive but you can indulge in the occasional gluten-free treat and trick your brain into thinking it's satisfied!

And thanks Wonka for that great sounding lemon cake, I can't wait to try it! I have been looking for alternative recipes to make for a tea party, you know how gluten-laden everything usually is: the finger sandwiches, the scones, help!!

Hi ChicoYaYa,

Perhaps host a gluten free tea party. Just a thought. There are tons of food items that are gluten free naturally... :)

As for the work, and the muffin treats. Bake some in bulk, freeze it, if you are lucky enough to have freezer storage at work. Maybe bring in extras to pop in the freezer there. If someone at work, knows all the gluten free snacks you can have, that may help too. They may not realize how it affects your health. Maybe give them a list of gluten free foods. Just a thought again. Awareness goes a long way. :)

Shawn Apprentice

Hello - I'm very lucky in that my boss's boss is also gluten-sensitive, so whenever we have a party, she brings me a treat. That's why I wanted to lose weight!!! The gluten-free stuff in bakeries is made with extra fat to make up for the lack of gluten. I envy those who have lost weight gluten free - It's made it harder for me to lose weight. Or maybe I'm just getting older?

I'm trying to use yogurt instead of half of the fat listed in recipes. Not as tasty but adds a little tanginess.

Again, you guys are wonderful. Thanks for your support. I did well this morning at Starbucks. Wasn't even tempted because I had my corn muffin waiting for me.

:P:D

Shawn

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello - I'm very lucky in that my boss's boss is also gluten-sensitive, so whenever we have a party, she brings me a treat. That's why I wanted to lose weight!!! The gluten-free stuff in bakeries is made with extra fat to make up for the lack of gluten. I envy those who have lost weight gluten free - It's made it harder for me to lose weight. Or maybe I'm just getting older?

I'm trying to use yogurt instead of half of the fat listed in recipes. Not as tasty but adds a little tanginess.

Again, you guys are wonderful. Thanks for your support. I did well this morning at Starbucks. Wasn't even tempted because I had my corn muffin waiting for me.

:P:D

Shawn

Something you can also do in some baked goods is replace the fat with applesauce. This works really well with stuff like muffins and pancakes.

MDRB Explorer

Hi there,

I think we've all experienced this.

I read a lot of doctors journals etc about celiacs and a lot of them suggest that gluten affects you on a neurological level, your body is addicted to gluten and it needs to detox before getting better.

I found that once I cut it out, cold turkey, after a while I didn't even crave gluten anymore! I look at a big slice of bread and am really put off by it because I think abut how sick it would make me.

There are heaps of gluten free recipes out there and lots of them are really really good! Try google-ing 'gluten free recipes'. or try making your favorite meal with gluten free alternatives.

Look at having celiacs as an opportunity to expand your cooking knowledge and experiment with new flavors and ingredients. It can be fun. soon it will be:

'gluten who?'

Archived