This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Salsa?

coltsfan18

coltsfan18 Rookie

I am relatively new to celiac disease, so this is all new to me. I have been doing very well and have been relatively symptom free for a few weeks. For lunch today I tried to eat some food that was catered in and had a baked potato, some butter from a mystery tub, salsa from another mystery tub, and shredded cheese. I thought that would be safe, but I have started getting horrible stomach cramps, gas and bloating a few hours later. That is the only "different" thing I have eaten. Could any of that have contained gluten?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ldesrocher Rookie
I am relatively new to celiac disease, so this is all new to me. I have been doing very well and have been relatively symptom free for a few weeks. For lunch today I tried to eat some food that was catered in and had a baked potato, some butter from a mystery tub, salsa from another mystery tub, and shredded cheese. I thought that would be safe, but I have started getting horrible stomach cramps, gas and bloating a few hours later. That is the only "different" thing I have eaten. Could any of that have contained gluten?

Thanks!

I would have to say that it could be almost anything you ate. The butter, salsa and shredded cheese all have the potential for containing gluten. Shredded cheese often contains gluten to prevent it from sticking together. Anything pre-packaged is always risky in my opinion. Gluten can be found in anything (sour cream, fruit juice etc.). It's best to read the labels on everything. If you can't determine if it's 100% gluten free just don't eat it. It really is not fun but you get the hang of eating gluten free. Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...
Juliebove Rising Star

Not all salsa is gluten-free and any of the other foods could have been cross contaminated.

• 1 month later...
JillianLindsay Enthusiast

I am also newly diagnosed... almost all salsas and other tasty dips have onion powder and/or garlic powder in the ingredients... Is it safe to eat?? Thanks :)

lizard00 Enthusiast
I am also newly diagnosed... almost all salsas and other tasty dips have onion powder and/or garlic powder in the ingredients... Is it safe to eat?? Thanks :)

If it's pure onion powder and/or garlic powder, you are fine. Onion/garlic powder as an ingredient wouldn't keep me from buying something.

Mskedi Newbie

One local restaurant told me not to have their salsa because the tomato paste they use in it has gluten. I would have never even thought about that -- I had actually contacted them about a specific dish I was concerned about, and he was kind enough to go over everything I could and could not eat on the menu.

Desy Rookie
Gluten can be found in anything (sour cream, fruit juice etc.). It's best to read the labels on everything. If you can't determine if it's 100% gluten free just don't eat it. It really is not fun but you get the hang of eating gluten free. Good luck :)

How can gluten be in fruit juice???? What would the purpose be? The more I read, the more confused and upset I become.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

It is not USUALLY found in fruit juice, but it sometimes shows up in bottle fruit juice blends like smoothies, as a thickener. And some people will have a bit of trouble with commercial orange juice because sometimes they coat oranges with a coating to preserve them that has it in them- I stick to real oranges and peel the things. I was drinking a store generic house brand commercial juice blend last year and was reacting to it, so I just gave it to my spouse. I let my reactions be my guide, and try to avoid products that say "natural flavors" unless they are labeled gluten free or the manufacturer says they are. Natural flavors can be anything.

Must read labels.

• 2 weeks later...
Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

Red Cactus sweet salsa says gluten free on the jar and it is really, really good.

Archived