This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Found Glutino's Genius Bread In Canada Today!

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

Having read about Genius bread recently I supposed it would take a couple of years to make it to Canada like most other things but when I saw it in our store today I was stunned. I kid you not - I started tearing up with happiness. Not only are the loaves much larger than Udi's but far cheaper, too. Udi's is $7.99-$8.29 here and Genius was only $4.99. Wow.

It looks like real bread that are made for adults, not those itty bitty Barbie slices. It passed the spread-the-peanut-butter-without-toasting test. I was surprised to find it was not soft as I had read but fairly dry (will try toast next). I was sooooo hoping it would be soft! Anyway, trying only one piece is not a great comparison yet but I do say I prefer it over Udi's (have never seen Rudi's). I bought both white and multigrain and tried the white today. My verdict:

1. Larger/thicker pieces than Udi's

2. Much cheaper than Udi's

3. Flavour/texture quite similar (BUT I have only tried the white)

4. Looks nearly like regular white bread

5. Nice distinct crust

From now on when I do not bake my own I will be buying Genius for the above reasons. I definitely cannot say I love it but it is decent for commercial gluten-free bread. Certainly the best I have tried to date! :)

I would love to hear about others' comparisons!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Thanks for the review! I've never heard of it but then all the Glutino products I have seen have soy flour in them so I might have overlooked it. Can you tell me if it has soy?

love2travel Mentor

Thanks for the review! I've never heard of it but then all the Glutino products I have seen have soy flour in them so I might have overlooked it. Can you tell me if it has soy?

Just a second - let me run downstairs to the freezer. Be right back! OK. Am back.

Ingredients for Multigrain:

water, potato starch, canola oil, corn starch, tapioca starch, dried egg white, rice bran, molasses, cellulose powder, yeast, sugar, modified cellulose, sugar beet fibre, salt, xanthan gum, calcium sulphate, enzymes. Contains eggs. MAY contain soy and sesame.

Ingredients for White:

water, potato starch, corn starch, canola oil, tapioca starch, dried egg white, rice bran, cellulose powder, yeast, sugar, salt, modified cellulose, xanthan gum, calcium sulphate, enzymes. Contains eggs. MAY contain soy and sesame.

So sorry - I know you are highly sensitive to soy. :(

Just a second - let me run downstairs to the freezer. Be right back! OK. Am back.

Ingredients for Multigrain:

water, potato starch, canola oil, corn starch, tapioca starch, dried egg white, rice bran, molasses, cellulose powder, yeast, sugar, modified cellulose, sugar beet fibre, salt, xanthan gum, calcium sulphate, enzymes. Contains eggs. MAY contain soy and sesame.

Ingredients for White:

water, potato starch, corn starch, canola oil, tapioca starch, dried egg white, rice bran, cellulose powder, yeast, sugar, salt, modified cellulose, xanthan gum, calcium sulphate, enzymes. Contains eggs. MAY contain soy and sesame.

So sorry - I know you are highly sensitive to soy. :(

Actually if it only says "may contain soy" I may try it. Thanks for typing out the ingredients!

love2travel Mentor

Actually if it only says "may contain soy" I may try it. Thanks for typing out the ingredients!

Wonderful! Can you imagine if you could have it? Maybe you and I should do a taste test comparison together as we baked the challah bread at nearly the same time. :lol:

When I was checking the ingredients I noted that the slices of Genius are about 1/3 larger than Udi's (the loaves that I have, anyway, and I know they can fluctuate).

Wonderful! Can you imagine if you could have it? Maybe you and I should do a taste test comparison together as we baked the challah bread at nearly the same time. :lol:

When I was checking the ingredients I noted that the slices of Genius are about 1/3 larger than Udi's (the loaves that I have, anyway, and I know they can fluctuate).

Well first I have to actually FIND it, lol! But I have seen a lot of Glutino products in my stores so maybe I will find some. I just stopped checkign the ingredietns because they all had soy flour last I checked.

Gemini Experienced

Having read about Genius bread recently I supposed it would take a couple of years to make it to Canada like most other things but when I saw it in our store today I was stunned. I kid you not - I started tearing up with happiness. Not only are the loaves much larger than Udi's but far cheaper, too. Udi's is $7.99-$8.29 here and Genius was only $4.99. Wow.

It looks like real bread that are made for adults, not those itty bitty Barbie slices. It passed the spread-the-peanut-butter-without-toasting test. I was surprised to find it was not soft as I had read but fairly dry (will try toast next). I was sooooo hoping it would be soft! Anyway, trying only one piece is not a great comparison yet but I do say I prefer it over Udi's (have never seen Rudi's). I bought both white and multigrain and tried the white today. My verdict:

1. Larger/thicker pieces than Udi's

2. Much cheaper than Udi's

3. Flavour/texture quite similar (BUT I have only tried the white)

4. Looks nearly like regular white bread

5. Nice distinct crust

From now on when I do not bake my own I will be buying Genius for the above reasons. I definitely cannot say I love it but it is decent for commercial gluten-free bread. Certainly the best I have tried to date! :)

I would love to hear about others' comparisons!

Glutino has licensed the rights to make this bread from the original company in England. Open Original Shared Link

I contacted them after my last trip there in October of 2010 and asked if it could be shipped to North America but they replied that it could not. They did go on to say they were working on making this bread available in countries other than the UK and Ireland and I assume this is how they did it.

I have only tried the darker version of the bread and thought it excellent for gluten-free bread. I am extremely particular about food and thought they did a good job. I think the reason it may have seemed dry to you is because you bought it frozen. That tends to make it drier. In England, it is sold fresh, like regular bread.

I do not care for Udi's bread as I think it very dry and I am not a fan of white bread anyway. My favorite gluten-free bread is Canyon bread, made here in the States. It is excellent and has a nice grainy texture, like whole grain bread does. They use a lot of different grains in it also so I think it a fairly healthy bread. Genius bread comes in at a close second. I have not seen Genius here in the States yet but I am on the look-out for it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Poppi Enthusiast

I haven't found any in Nanaimo yet but hope springs eternal. I think it might be available in Victoria but I'm not sure if it's worth a 4 hour round trip to get some.

love2travel Mentor

Glutino has licensed the rights to make this bread from the original company in England. Open Original Shared Link

I contacted them after my last trip there in October of 2010 and asked if it could be shipped to North America but they replied that it could not. They did go on to say they were working on making this bread available in countries other than the UK and Ireland and I assume this is how they did it.

I have only tried the darker version of the bread and thought it excellent for gluten-free bread. I am extremely particular about food and thought they did a good job. I think the reason it may have seemed dry to you is because you bought it frozen. That tends to make it drier. In England, it is sold fresh, like regular bread.

I do not care for Udi's bread as I think it very dry and I am not a fan of white bread anyway. My favorite gluten-free bread is Canyon bread, made here in the States. It is excellent and has a nice grainy texture, like whole grain bread does. They use a lot of different grains in it also so I think it a fairly healthy bread. Genius bread comes in at a close second. I have not seen Genius here in the States yet but I am on the look-out for it.

I'm not a fan of white bread, either, but today when I was shopping I suddenly had a craving! Weird. Anyway, you are right about buying it fresh vs. frozen for dryness. I am also certain I will like the multigrain better as well.

Canyon bread sounds good, too. I'm just so pleased that gluten-free products have come such a long way in just a few months.

love2travel Mentor

I haven't found any in Nanaimo yet but hope springs eternal. I think it might be available in Victoria but I'm not sure if it's worth a 4 hour round trip to get some.

Oh, I hope Nanaimo gets it soon! I was stunned to see it in our store because it is definitely not a large centre at all.

• 2 months later...
Silencio Enthusiast

Oh, I hope Nanaimo gets it soon! I was stunned to see it in our store because it is definitely not a large centre at all.

Can you tell me where you got it? I just found out about this bread and I need to try it. Hopefully its in Edmonton somewhere.

Judy3 Contributor

I can't find it here in Wisconsin yet. Dang it... I keep looking but to no avail. I was going to order it online but besides the hefty price, the shipping charges are nuts!! I'll be patient I guess. Send me some Genius!!! :angry:

love2travel Mentor

Can you tell me where you got it? I just found out about this bread and I need to try it. Hopefully its in Edmonton somewhere.

I buy it from our Super Store (not giving away the town I live in) but I would be shocked if you do not have it in Edmonton. Have you tried Ed's Gluten Free store? They have a lot of great stuff. It is also in our Nutter's (20% off everything in the store the first Tuesday of the month so I stocked up on about 12 flours yesterday). Do you have Nutter's in Edmonton? Have you tried Planet Organic? Maybe Sobeys? The downtown Sobeys carries some interesting produce but am unsure of gluten-free breads there.

love2travel Mentor

I can't find it here in Wisconsin yet. Dang it... I keep looking but to no avail. I was going to order it online but besides the hefty price, the shipping charges are nuts!! I'll be patient I guess. Send me some Genius!!! :angry:

Oh, too bad. I am still shocked that we have it here. Canada usually seems so far behind the US in gluten-free products. After my UDi's bread is gone I will only get Genius. Sure, I like to make my own bread, but sometimes it is so convenient to buy it.

DougE Rookie

Oh, too bad. I am still shocked that we have it here. Canada usually seems so far behind the US in gluten-free products. After my UDi's bread is gone I will only get Genius. Sure, I like to make my own bread, but sometimes it is so convenient to buy it.

Yeah. In Canada we often have to wait a while to see products come from the U.S. But this case is probably different because Glutino is the supplier. Their head office is in Laval, Quebec.

Silencio Enthusiast

I buy it from our Super Store (not giving away the town I live in) but I would be shocked if you do not have it in Edmonton. Have you tried Ed's Gluten Free store? They have a lot of great stuff. It is also in our Nutter's (20% off everything in the store the first Tuesday of the month so I stocked up on about 12 flours yesterday). Do you have Nutter's in Edmonton? Have you tried Planet Organic? Maybe Sobeys? The downtown Sobeys carries some interesting produce but am unsure of gluten-free breads there.

Cool, it should be in Superstore by my place. I never looked around yet. Just wanted to get an idea of where you got it.

Would I be far off if I guessed you are in Spruce Grove? I grew up there is why I ask lol

love2travel Mentor

Cool, it should be in Superstore by my place. I never looked around yet. Just wanted to get an idea of where you got it.

Would I be far off if I guessed you are in Spruce Grove? I grew up there is why I ask lol

I really hope you can find it. While it is not the same as gluten bread, it is the best there is available commercially in my opinion. It is also cheaper than Udi's. It is $4.99 here and Udi's is $7.49.

Not Spruce Grove but good guess! I live further away than that but we try to get to Edmonton once a month to eat out at a great place and get a few gluten-free items.

• 3 months later...
psawyer Proficient

Found the white version today at Loblaw in Richmond Hill (just north of Toronto). Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it. I will share my thoughts then. :)

sora Community Regular

There are many stores around my area that carry Genius bread. Loblaws, Farmboy and some Metro stores.

I found the flax one first and it was good. Next I tried the corn and liked it better but I think I am corn intolerant. Then I discovered the english muffins. A little dry but love having a 'bun'.

The other day I found the multi grain and it was heaven. It is the closest thing to the old wheat bread I have had. Made me very happy.

Roda Rising Star

If you are in the states and have Earth Fare, then you should find it. I found it at our local Earth Fare. I found it to be just as dry as Udi's but lighter. I'll probably keep buying it.

• 2 weeks later...
psawyer Proficient

Okay, it took a while to get to it, but today I had a sandwich at lunch. Not grilled cheese, but a plain sandwich on Glutino Genius White Sandwich bread.

It didn't crumble. It held together very well. The consistency is not quite as soft as what I remember from before I went gluten-free, but after almost 12 years, memory fades.

It gets my strong approval. Try it--you won't be disappointed.

:)

Gemini Experienced

Okay, it took a while to get to it, but today I had a sandwich at lunch. Not grilled cheese, but a plain sandwich on Glutino Genius White Sandwich bread.

It didn't crumble. It held together very well. The consistency is not quite as soft as what I remember from before I went gluten-free, but after almost 12 years, memory fades.

It gets my strong approval. Try it--you won't be disappointed.

:)

Well, if you think that's exciting, I got an e-mail from Genius bread in England, promoting their new products. They now have 2 kinds of pita bread and a version of Indian Naan bread. They had better offer these, via Glutino, to Canada and the US! :lol:

Silencio Enthusiast

Well, if you think that's exciting, I got an e-mail from Genius bread in England, promoting their new products. They now have 2 kinds of pita bread and a version of Indian Naan bread. They had better offer these, via Glutino, to Canada and the US! :lol:

Thats awesome. I hope to see it in Canada. Ive been eating these thin bland tasting wraps lately. I need some real pita bread.

Gemini Experienced

Thats awesome. I hope to see it in Canada. Ive been eating these thin bland tasting wraps lately. I need some real pita bread.

For your viewing pleasure....Open Original Shared Link

Archived