This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Long Eyelashes

ang1e0251

ang1e0251 Contributor

Ok, I just read a post that mentioned that Celiacs have long eyelashes. Is that true? My lashes are growing super long since I went gluten-free. They've never been long like this before.

Who has noticed long eyelashes since starting the diet? Or did you always have lush lashes? Who thinks it's related to celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast

I have huge eyelashes, and I have trouble wearing glasses. ....

That is funny..

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

Same here. My lashes hit my glasses. I can't wear mascara on my bottom lashes because they touch my lower lid.

Our dental hygienist told my son he had the longest eyelashes she'd ever seen.

At least we have one perk... :P

maile Newbie

hmm, another long eyelash person here....on a similar note a local pediatric allergist wrote a paper where he mentioned that a significant % of his male patients had brown eyes and long, dark lashes...who knows maybe there is a link??

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
hmm, another long eyelash person here....on a similar note a local pediatric allergist wrote a paper where he mentioned that a significant % of his male patients had brown eyes and long, dark lashes...who knows maybe there is a link??

Super long lashes and brown eyes here, mine hit my glasses too. Wierd!

glutenada Newbie

No long eyelashes here.

- just call me Stubs

lol.

MELINE Enthusiast

lol.... :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFLisa Newbie

I also have super long eyelashes. My glasses are plastic frames that slide easily off my nose. Annoying, but they tend to sit lower so that my lashes don't hit the lenses constantly.

julirama723 Contributor

SUPER-long lashes here! I always have trouble wearing glasses and sunglasses. If I wear mascara, it looks like I'm wearing falsies.

Hazel eyes...almost yellow.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Could any of you scientists out there please tell us what you might know on this subject? I would really like to know if there is any scientific evidence about the lashes thing or if it's just a fun legend. Has anyone done anything with it at an official level in the science world? Several family members have decidedly longer lashes than usual. Thanks!

gfmolly Contributor
Ok, I just read a post that mentioned that Celiacs have long eyelashes. Is that true? My lashes are growing super long since I went gluten-free. They've never been long like this before.

Who has noticed long eyelashes since starting the diet? Or did you always have lush lashes? Who thinks it's related to celiac disease?

I have long eyelashes as well, and so do both of my children. Although my oldest does not have celiac and is in the least likely category according to the genetic testing.

lbd Rookie

Long vs short lashes is a genetic trait. Long lashes are dominant, short are recessive. I doubt if they are connected to gluten intolerance, but if they are near each other on the same chromosome, it is possible that they tend to be inherited more frequently together.

Apparently, eyelash length is related to allergies, so who knows?...

Abstract: Long eyelashes may be congenital, acquired in association with certain systemic diseases, or drug induced. In the past, long eyelashes were considered an external sign found in children with allergic diseases. However, this claim has never been examined in a controlled study. We compared the eyelash lengths of allergic children and adolescents with perennial allergic rhinitis, with or without bronchial asthma and atopic dermatitis (n = 60) to those of age- and sex-matched nonallergic controls (n = 80). The eyelashes of the allergic patients were found to be significantly longer than those of the controls: 9.43

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I wish mine were long, but they are not!

buffettbride Enthusiast

My Celiac daughter has ridiculously long, dark eyelashes! So long that when she was a toddler/preschooler, the top lashes would slide into her lower lid when she was sleeping and we'd have to gently pull them out in the morning! She will never, ever need mascara!

She has blue/gray eyes, though.

Chrissyb Enthusiast
Long vs short lashes is a genetic trait. Long lashes are dominant, short are recessive. I doubt if they are connected to gluten intolerance, but if they are near each other on the same chromosome, it is possible that they tend to be inherited more frequently together.

Apparently, eyelash length is related to allergies, so who knows?...

Abstract: Long eyelashes may be congenital, acquired in association with certain systemic diseases, or drug induced. In the past, long eyelashes were considered an external sign found in children with allergic diseases. However, this claim has never been examined in a controlled study. We compared the eyelash lengths of allergic children and adolescents with perennial allergic rhinitis, with or without bronchial asthma and atopic dermatitis (n = 60) to those of age- and sex-matched nonallergic controls (n = 80). The eyelashes of the allergic patients were found to be significantly longer than those of the controls: 9.43

Archived