arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Disappointed At Chipotle - What Should I Expect?

chipotle

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

He does sound rude!  But I confess, I'm confused - isn't the rice safe there?  I thought the only thing with Gluten were the tortillas.  Or did you mean that he didn't change his gloves before starting to dish out your order?  Yes, that would have teed me off.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 I_want_nachos

I_want_nachos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:16 PM

Chipotle is the only restaurant I've eaten at and not gotten sick after being diagnosed with GI. I always only get the burrito bowl (with brown rice, black beans, mild salsa, corn, and cheese) and the tortilla chips. I've never once had a problem and I eat there at least a few times a month. 

#33 LovelyGirlofHope

LovelyGirlofHope

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

I'm probably the biggest advocate of Chipotle there is, but that doesn't mean they can ever be perfect.

I've been enjoying their food since they opened about 15 years ago, the last 5 being since I was diagnosed with Celiac.

My experience is that the CO run stores are cleaner and better run overall. This may be part of the problem.

Since the OP is newly diagnosed, I understand how stressful eating out is.

Maybe this will help.

• The only thing in the store that has gluten is the wheat tortilla. But the warming machine is definitely cc'd, so don't use it ever.
  • The only ingredient that may have been a worry is the vinegar in the hot red sauce, but vinegar is usually ok'd by us Celiacs (some choose to avoid it).
  • Yes, the spoons sometimes touch the tortilla, but usually they just dump it on top, and it doesn't. They will change spoons and gloves if you ask (I don't bother).
  • I have never once got cc'd there and I eat there at least 3x per week (few choices near my job and I trust them).
  • I ONLY ever order a Burrito Bowl. This way there is no possible cc from salad, dressings, taco shells etc.
  • I skip the "extras", even though they are gluten-free, they are more easily cc'd. I order MEAT, BEANS, Fajitas and Meat. That's it.
  • If I ever see a dirty store, I'm more careful
  • I eat their chips all the time. No problem, it's a dedicated fryer.
  • I verified all the meats are gluten-free, they even let me read the label(s) when I was first diagnosed

We all have to be careful, I understand, but eating at Chipotle's CAN be done easily. I'm sensitive to cc and have never had an issue.

Good Luck!

Cool! I didn't really know that chipotle was gluten free! But I do have to ask....when the employee is fixing up a burrito and he/she touches the lettuce with the gluten contaminated gloves from the burrito does that mean that the lettuce isn't safe?

im a newbie :)

#34 LauraTX

LauraTX

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

Welcome to the forum, lovely!  (I re-read that and I imagine it in a British accent... lol)

I like the way you think, avoiding CC.  :)

The Lettuce and Cheese that they grab with their hands, I will not eat off the line.  They go through a ton, though, and always have some ready to refill the line in the back.  So if they are not busy, I will ask them to go get me some from a fresh container, and they are always understanding.  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)
I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 across

across

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

I got glutened there last night. The server was very nice, and offered to change his gloves and all of the spoons in the ingredients, since they come into constant contact with the flour tortillas. That set off a warning bell in my head not to eat there, since even if they changed the spoons, those contaminated spoons had been plunged back into the food numerous times. But I hadn't eaten all day, and I was really hungry and had no food at home, so I went ahead with it. Guess what? I got sick.

Still dealing with the consequences this morning. Ugh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chipotle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: