Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten-Free For The Entire Famly? When Members Can't/don't Want To Be Gluten-Free

childrengluten free husband family diet home celiac

• Please log in to reply

35 replies to this topic

#31 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:53 PM

Yes, for a celiac (or any other person with a medical issue around gluten, such as gluten ataxia or non-celiac gluten sensitivity), even crumbs can make you sick.

For me, it's nearly impossible to keep my kids from contaminating me, so it's easier to keep a gluten free house for all and let them get their gluten elsewhere.

If you have more questions, there is a newbie 101 thread in the Coping With Celiac Disease section that has more info on cross contamination and avoiding it.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

I don't really understand clearly what happens when you become "contaminated" in the kitchen, is the Gluten a tiny tiny crumb that once ingested makes you ill? what exactly does it looks like? And if you become ill from it what are your symptoms, and are they immediate?

I hope someone can explain this to me as I have been giving my dog bread and butter for his supper every night without much thought.

That tiny amount can make you sick in hours or days and last for a week or more. It triggers an autoimmune response that causes your body to attack your small intestines. You might be asymptomatic and not realize the damage you are causing. Before i was diagnosed, I was anemic but just thought I was tired due to my age and menopause. I had osteoporosis that was not diagnosed until after my fractures (within 3 months of my celiac disease diagnosis).

My dog is on grain free dog food. I do not allow gluten in the house. It makes it easier on my husband and me. My kid can get her gluten fix outside the house.

I do not want any more fractures and I do not want to develop anymore autoimmune disorders. I avoid gluten as if it were poison (and it is for me and my husband).
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#33 BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

Yes, very good explaination cyclinglady.

My cat is on grain free food and my two goldfish would be too, if I could find any standard goldfish food that was gluten free.

I've had a TIA in the past (ministroke) due to gluten and more recently had a relapse of some neuro symptoms (dehabilitating headaches and trouble talking correctly) after my kids were eating gluten in the house. For me, it's a matter of staying alive and not risking getting disabled.

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

#34 Purpletie3

Purpletie3

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

Celiac's is like becomming an incredible Investigator and the case is your health. Unfortunately, the labeling laws make it almost impossible to figure out if something contains gluten or not.

It took me months to realize that I had to change the dog food. It contaminated me. I threw out all the non-stick pans and plastic spatula's...they had gluten baked in. 

...just a crumb...that's all it takes.

6 months gluten-free yesterday.

#35 Zebra007

Zebra007

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:03 AM

Thank you everyone for your help..I will go look at the newbie thread on cross contamination as well..

#36 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

it's just hubby and me here, but kids and grandkids come over alot. my house is gluten free. that's it. this is where I feel safe. when my family comes over we eat, we bbq, no one suffers. they don't need gluten that badly. if they lived here, it would be the same. I make no apology, I have to know this is the one place where I don't worry. 

hubby is free to eat what he wants out. it works. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: childrengluten free, husband, family, diet, home, celiac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: