13 replies to this topic

#1 sillyyak

sillyyak

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:43 PM

Is Peanut Butter gluten-free? I bought a jar of Yum Yum Peanut Butter today. The only ingredient was Organic Peanuts. Wanted to be sure.. are any other brands gluten-free?
Diagnosed 11-11-05 after 3 months of major symptoms, including 2 hospitalizations and 7 ER visits for dehydration and syncope. Otherwise, I had all "normal" blood tests and major scans. During those 3 months, lost 20 pounds, all my muscle tone, and ultimately could not walk for 2 days. Spent 6 days during the second hospitalization hooked up to IV and STILL passing out IN BED due to malnutrition with doctors staring at me AS IF it was all IN MY HEAD

Other related symptoms:
Osteopenia
Hypothyroidism
Gluten Ataxia - three "nodes" recently found in my brain (thought I had MS)
Muscle weakness
Fatigue
Chronic Constipation
45 pound weight gain since going gluten-free!

gluten-free since 11-11-05. Cannot eat bananas, potatoes, or spinach. Recently reintroduced yogurt into my diet and able to tolerate plain yogurt with sugar.

HATE the diet but psychologically tolerating it for my health.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:45 PM

as far as I know, most peanut butter is gluten free, especially if the only ingredient is peanuts. However whenever you are in doubt about a product, always remember you can check with the manufacturer!

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

Skippy, Jiff, and Smuckers Natural..........hope this will be a start.

Lisa B
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

Never seen a peanut butter with gluten, and definitely not one that has nothing but peanuts.

richard

#5 eeyor_fan

eeyor_fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:44 AM

Is Peanut Butter gluten-free? I bought a jar of Yum Yum Peanut Butter today. The only ingredient was Organic Peanuts. Wanted to be sure.. are any other brands gluten-free?

Smart Balance Peanut Butter is gluten-free...even says Gluten Free on the back by ingrediants list. Good Stuff!!!
Hugs
Bridget ;)
I first tested positive for celiac in August 2004. Born/raised in Canada, now lives in NJ. Borderline RA and problems with GI muscle disfunction since Dec 2005...BUT FIGHTING BACK HARDER EVERY DAY!!!

Life has no dress rehersals so live each moment as if it were your last! At the end of the day it is YOU that you have to answer to. Karma and fate is what you choose it to be! Never sacrafice your dreams or beliefs. If someone truely likes you, they like you for who you are, not what they want you to be!
Bridget

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:49 AM

We only buy "natural" peanutbutter, that has only peanuts in it, and not all that extra junk and chemicals like Jiff, and etc. That kind never has gluten in it. We typical by the store barnd of it for cost reasons of course (kroger in this case)

Edited by VydorScope, 30 December 2005 - 07:50 AM.

- Vincent -

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

Vincent--I used to love Kroger products when we lived in GA! I thought they were as good and a lot of times better than the "national brands". We're in NJ now, so no more Kroger :( --I use Smuker's Natural now.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:43 AM

For the more processed stuff... Skippy, Jif, Reese's, Smuckers pb are all gluten-free.

#9 MandaSue

MandaSue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

I've wondered about peanut butter too. in most of the Natural brands I've seen, the only ingredient I don't recognize is "palm oil". I'm assuming this is safe because it's not on any "unsafe ingredient lists, but I want to double check. does anyone know for sure? Also, I noticed most of these posts on PB are pretty old- so i just wanted to double check. thanks!

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:05 AM

I've wondered about peanut butter too. in most of the Natural brands I've seen, the only ingredient I don't recognize is "palm oil". I'm assuming this is safe because it's not on any "unsafe ingredient lists, but I want to double check. does anyone know for sure? Also, I noticed most of these posts on PB are pretty old- so i just wanted to double check. thanks!

Palm oil is coconut derived and is gluten free.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 MandaSue

MandaSue

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Palm oil is coconut derived and is gluten free.

Thanks! that is helpful. that was the only ingredient in a jar of PB that I reacted to twice (the first I thought it was something else). I've now realized that there must have been CC (from a knife or something before I was living gluten-free). (I know that sounds like common sense-- i think we all agree this is a learning process). I gave that (fairly new) jar to a friend and will try a new one. Thanks again!

#12 lemontree1

lemontree1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Is there gluten in the peanut butter from the dry roasted nuts or is that a fallicy?

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Is there gluten in the peanut butter from the dry roasted nuts or is that a fallicy?

It's a fallacy.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 br00kybaby

br00kybaby

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi All,

Peanut butter is basically gluten free by nature. What can ruin that is if it is manufactured in a facility where it could be contaminated by other gluten products. A friend of mine is so sensitive that she's got to hide the peanut butter in the house so that none of the kids get into it. After spreading it on the bread and dipping it back in the jar for more, that's enough gluten contaminant to upset her body. My advice is read the label to see if it says its been processed in a place that has no cross contamination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: