This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Charcoal Made With Wheat/ Cooking On An Outdoor Grill.

rlemmon

rlemmon Apprentice

I saw on tv that kingsford uses wheat in there charcoal as a binder. I did some googling and founout that most do. So do you guys cook on an out door grill. have you gotten sick. I wander if the lava rocks are made with wheat ?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
I saw on tv that kingsford uses wheat in there charcoal as a binder. I did some googling and founout that most do. So do you guys cook on an out door grill. have you gotten sick. I wander if the lava rocks are made with wheat ?

YOU ARE KIDDING!!!! OMG!

plantime Contributor

If my food is cooked on the grill, I use aluminum foil. I have always gotten a bit of a tummy ache after eating grilled food, and the foil made it stop happening. I don't know about lava rocks, I have never used a gas grill, only charcoal.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

SHOULD POST A PICTURE OF MY HUBBY COOKING IN THE SNOW STORM ON OUR GAS GRILL..

COULDN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT.

JUDY IN PHILLY

Guest nini

we got rid of our charcoal grill and only use a gas grill now...

ehrin Explorer

Try cowboy charcoal - which is just lump wood.

It starts in half the time and has less ash.

All those other briquet charcoals are also loaded with chemicals - YUCK!

HOW LUMP HARDWOOD CHARCOAL IS MADE

Natural Lump Charcoal comes from partially burning wood. It is also created by heating wood without oxygen.

In doing so, this chared wood becomes carbon. During the process of making charcoal,

volatile compounds in the wood (water, hydrogen, methane and tars) pass off as vapors into the air, and the carbon is converted into charcoal.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I use cowboy charcoal and love it!

susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaten Enthusiast

I've never seen Cowboy Charcoal. Where do you get it?

plantime Contributor

I googled cowboy charcoal and found this link:

Open Original Shared Link

I don't know how to insert it as a link, so you will have to copy/paste.

Thanks for the brand, so I know what to look for!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I get mine at Stop and Shop on Cape cod.

lovegrov Collaborator

It doesn't have to be Cowboy; it can be any brand of natural or lump charcoal. Much, much better than Kingsford. Whole Foods has a brand, Walmart usually carries some this time of the year, hardware stores...

richard

VydorScope Proficient

We donated away our grill, I could not see trying to clean it to make it gluten-free.

Soo, when (prbly next year) we buy a new one, should we get gas or charcoal? Whts the REAL dif?

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
We donated away our grill, I could not see trying to clean it to make it gluten-free.

Soo, when (prbly next year) we buy a new one, should we get gas or charcoal? Whts the REAL dif?

Get a weber propaine (?sp) we love love love ours.

can do a great chicken or turkey with the weber 'beer butt chicken' holder it's a snap and catches the juice for my ck soup..i can get model # if you really want it..We've had for years it's a cover pull down top.

jim's grills in the snow..

judy

VydorScope Proficient

There is NOTHING wrong with griling in the snow, rain, hail, heck if you can reach the gril, its grilling time! :D Fire is still the best way to cook, IMO. The falvor just cant be matched!

ehrin Explorer

I am a huge charcoal advocate. I just think it tastes better.

I think most people prefer gas for the convenience factor -

so if you're a person who's all about the taste, go for the coal - convencience, go for the gas!

Get yourself a chimney for the charcoal - using that combined with lump wood coal,

gets you a nice, hot fire in about 20 minutes.

I highly recommend the standard 22.5" Weber as well.

It just cooks so nicely!

I bought a brand new Weber this year...

it's my gluten-free grill - gluten will not touch it! :D

VydorScope Proficient
I am a huge charcoal advocate. I just think it tastes better.

I think most people prefer gas for the convenience factor -

so if you're a person who's all about the taste, go for the coal - convencience, go for the gas!

Get yourself a chimney for the charcoal - using that combined with lump wood coal,

gets you a nice, hot fire in about 20 minutes.

I highly recommend the standard 22.5" Weber as well.

It just cooks so nicely!

I bought a brand new Weber this year...

it's my gluten-free grill - gluten will not touch it! :D

Okay, my last grill was the 69$ specail at the Homeless Depot, so help me out here... what do you mean by "Get yourself a chimney for the charcoal - using that combined with lump wood coal,"

For me I perfer the falvor when grilling, I used to add hickory wood to my gas grill, and I love coooking on an open camp fire. If i want convenice I have a electric grill inside to use. :D

ehrin Explorer
Okay, my last grill was the 69$ specail at the Homeless Depot, so help me out here... what do you mean by "Get yourself a chimney for the charcoal - using that combined with lump wood coal,"

For me I perfer the falvor when grilling, I used to add hickory wood to my gas grill, and I love coooking on an open camp fire. If i want convenice I have a electric grill inside to use. :D

And I will shower thee with links!

Here's the grill to get - cheap and lasts forever!

The one I have now is my dads hand me down...from when I was a teenager - I'm 29 now!!! :o

And since I just bought a new one I can tell you that sears has the best price, so I'll give you their link:

(don't bother with the one touch gold for the extra $$ - you don't need the sophisticated ash removal system!)

and the chimney - the chimney is key -

you put two peices of newspaper on the bottom,

put your lump wood charcoal in the cylindar, light the paper

and your coals are hot as hell in 20 min!!!

lump wood coal is exactly that and can usually be found in any supermarket or home store (homeless Depot - as you say or lowes) my local Trader Joes also carries it.

It is free of the chemicals that kingsford has and as another poster mentioned the kingsford uses wheat as a binder (although to be honest I have used it in a pinch and have had no adverse effects)

Good Luck!!!

• 1 year later...
debmidge Rising Star

This is all new territory for us...we never had one as we used to live at very strict apartment complex which would not allow them. We can where we are now but we were so "out of the grilling" loop we never considered getting one.

Today I picked up a glass top outdoor table and a cheapo hibatchi and now need the element for the fire....I saw 365 Brand of wood chippy stuff at Whole Food...anyone know about this product being gluten-free?

tarnalberry Community Regular

we have gas. particularly if you've had it for a while, it can taste nearly the same. (I saw that from actual comparisons.)

and, quite frankly, there is no beating waiting 5 minutes for a grill to heat up, and having approximately a 2 minute cleanup time. no ash to dump billowing everywhere. have a spare tank around and you're good for a couple months (with grilling 4-5 nights a week).

unless you don't plan on grilling very often, the convenience factor shouldn't be overlooked.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I'm just dumbstruck. I've been sick ALL week trying to figure out what's been happening. I'm in shock. i never even thought to check. We grilled out FOUR TIMES this week. UGH!!!!

Sending hubby link to this post. Gosh, I just cannot believe it. We totally use Kingsford. I just didn't even think. Feeling like a moron!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I don't understand how charcoal could even be an issue. Is it because the ashes stick to the food?

We have a propane barbecue and use it almost every day in the summer, you can't beat the convenience. Until the propane runs out. :ph34r:

CarlaB Enthusiast

Linda, I don't know HOW it's an issue, but it IS. I've gotten sick from it myself.

I buy natural charcoal at Wild Oats. It's just burnt wood.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

sent hubby the link. :( he's gonna have to get rid of Old Smoky. I'm so sad!!!!

Before we moved to Phoenix he had this beautiful Weber grill...big one with gas igniter, etc. We moved so fast, we gave it away. When we moved to Phoenix we bought a Weber standard one at a garage sale for like $3. We had to buy new grates and fix one leg, which cost us like $20. I think we sold it for $10 when we left!

When we moved back to PA, he got himself another Weber grill with the gas igniter, etc. He got a GREAT deal on it, and they gave him a grill cover free.

Now he's going to have to get rid of it. And he found out yesterday, our wedding anniversary. I'm just so heartbroken for him.

He's a charcoal guy. I think we're both afraid we wouldn't be able to clean it. And if he can't get charcoal at the store around the corner (which I'm SURE we wouldn't be able to - it's the worst store in the state!) He doesn't want a charcoal grill.

Gosh, he's given up so much already for me.

debmidge Rising Star
Try cowboy charcoal - which is just lump wood.

It starts in half the time and has less ash.

All those other briquet charcoals are also loaded with chemicals - YUCK!

HOW LUMP HARDWOOD CHARCOAL IS MADE

Natural Lump Charcoal comes from partially burning wood. It is also created by heating wood without oxygen.

In doing so, this chared wood becomes carbon. During the process of making charcoal,

volatile compounds in the wood (water, hydrogen, methane and tars) pass off as vapors into the air, and the carbon is converted into charcoal.

If they heat it long enough, does it turn into a diamond ? ;)

But seriously, I have a question:

When you use the wood stuff, do you have to use a "starter" like you use with charcoal grill? I'd prefer not to use something like that.

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know about the 365 stuff but ANY natural or lump charcoal is going to be gluten-free.

As for lighting lump charcoal without lighter fluid or starter, that's the purpose of the chimney. I haven't used chemicals or starter on my charcoal in years.

richard

Archived