This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

nikki-uk Enthusiast
I see Emily :D

WHAT!!!!!!!???????????

She is OFF PISTE .....inexplicably drawn to sillyville :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient
She is OFF PISTE .....

Huh? :huh:

~alex~ Explorer
She is OFF PISTE

Ahhhhh I totally forgot about that word! Off-piste . . . I love it :D . I think it means back-country skiing or skiing away from the marked trails. When my brother and I were little we would often "invent" new, convoluted ways of walking home from school, many of which involved treading through a ravine/creek. When we could come home a bit late from school and with mud and water all over us our mom would say, "Off-piste again, eh?". My brother and I would fall over laughing every time because we thought it sounded like off-piste should be a dirty word :lol:. I can't wait to work in off-piste into my next conversation with my brother!

Ridgewalker Contributor

Off piste? When my husband gets home late every night for a week, I get very off piste! I like it.

Susie, where are you? We're worried, I hope you're ok!!!

tom Contributor

<sigh> Well . .....count me among those who've had the silly knocked out of 'em, tho in my case in turns out it may've been unnecessarily so.

Does anyone else get c.com's Celiac Update email? Not the newsletter w/ a fee - it's a What's New monthly-ish type of thing.

Anyway, today's has an article on new research that links celiac disease w/ my brother Pat's bone marrow cancer. :o

They had specific scientific data on a different, tho closely related, type of bone marrow cancer.

"It was postulated by the researchers that multiple myeloma may actually be an end result of untreated celiac disease."

A gluten-free diet "caused" a reversal in a precursor condition regarding monoclonal proteins in blood serum.

Aargh I've spent too much time trying to understand the ^%$# article!!!!!

The author seems to make a few leaps in logic and I'm left unsure whether it's relevant to Pat at ALL - not to mention it's coming way too late to make a damn bit of difference.

I'd never imagined ANY relation at all before, but I've gotten stuck on the big What If.

Could he be alive and healthy today if a gluten-free diet had been started 10 yrs ago????

I know . . .. . ..I'll drive myself crazy w/ these thoughts.

I also don't know if I CAN, or should, even tell my mom about this.

<shakes magic 8ball>

[ all signs points to No ]

Wish we'd gotten a Dingopost by now.

And Em? A post-less pop-in??? THAT doesn't seem right either!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient
Ahhhhh I totally forgot about that word! Off-piste . . . I love it :D . I think it means back-country skiing or skiing away from the marked trails. When my brother and I were little we would often "invent" new, convoluted ways of walking home from school, many of which involved treading through a ravine/creek. When we could come home a bit late from school and with mud and water all over us our mom would say, "Off-piste again, eh?". My brother and I would fall over laughing every time because we thought it sounded like off-piste should be a dirty word :lol:. I can't wait to work in off-piste into my next conversation with my brother!

Thanks Alex--I had no idea what it meant :)

<sigh> Well . .....count me among those who've had the silly knocked out of 'em, tho in my case in turns out it may've been unnecessarily so.

Does anyone else get c.com's Celiac Update email? Not the newsletter w/ a fee - it's a What's New monthly-ish type of thing.

Anyway, today's has an article on new research that links celiac disease w/ my brother Pat's bone marrow cancer. :o

They had specific scientific data on a different, tho closely related, type of bone marrow cancer.

"It was postulated by the researchers that multiple myeloma may actually be an end result of untreated celiac disease."

A gluten-free diet "caused" a reversal in a precursor condition regarding monoclonal proteins in blood serum.

Aargh I've spent too much time trying to understand the ^%$# article!!!!!

The author seems to make a few leaps in logic and I'm left unsure whether it's relevant to Pat at ALL - not to mention it's coming way too late to make a damn bit of difference.

I'd never imagined ANY relation at all before, but I've gotten stuck on the big What If.

Could he be alive and healthy today if a gluten-free diet had been started 10 yrs ago????

I know . . .. . ..I'll drive myself crazy w/ these thoughts.

I also don't know if I CAN, or should, even tell my mom about this.

<shakes magic 8ball>

[ all signs points to No ]

Oh Tom, I don't know what to say....I'm quite sure I would be having the same thoughts you are if I were in your place. There's just so much about this da*n disease that we don't know. :(

Jestgar Rising Star

What's the title Tom? I'll read it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elye Community Regular
And Em? A post-less pop-in??? THAT doesn't seem right either!!!!

I know, I know.....so busy unpacking, doing laundry and detoxifying from the 65 proof Absinthe I found at the foot of Mt. Tremblant Village......!!!!!!!! :o:lol::lol:

OMG. I still cannot believe I found the stuff (the only liquor outlet, I was told, that has it available in Quebec...there it was, tucked away on the ski hill...astonishing...'twas meant to be...)

Won't go into detail about the reception of this fine substance and its effects on family members...I'll just say that as I lay in steaming, bubbling, 102 degree water up to my chin, the stars of the midnight sky above, surrounded by like-addled siblings and husband, Rachmaninov piping outside from the stereo, I kept thinking of how my little glass of the beautious drink just rounded the perfection off.

It made our charade game one of the most enjoyable, and challenging, ever.

Password was suddenly a magical exercise for me...came up with some spectacular clues.

Cranium? We did amazing things.

Did NOT attempt Twister...it was close, however.

As a result, I am sure, of absinthe-brain, I took on my son's dare and leapt out of the steaming hot tub into the adjacent snowbank and did a quick snow angel.

Insanity! But what fun it is to be insane..... :rolleyes:

Did a lot of snowshoeing around the lake we were on....caught up with my sister, whom I spent quite a bit of time with. Danced, ate plentifully, talked till I couldn't anymore.

Truly wonderful. But I am glad to be back....

Just getting caught up! Susie, I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm thinking about you, and I'm so glad that you have David to support you now. :)

Tom! I hear your sadness and anger at the things that gluten may have taken from us. I just cannot think too much of this when I remember the illnesses of my dear uncle, aunt, grandparents...even my dad. It hurts too much. Big hugs!

Amanda! What a roller coaster for you! I'm sorry about the whole office fiasco. You need some absinthe....

jerseyangel Proficient

Emily!!

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! I actually almost said earlier that you were probably doing laundry :lol:

Your new avatar :lol:

tom Contributor
What's the title Tom? I'll read it

Ahhh yes!! I meant to paste the link in the 1st place. Thank you.

Much of what I was looking up was the relationship between multiple myeloma & Pats' polycythemia vera.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21542/1/Cel...eins/Page1.html

jerseyangel Proficient
Ahhh yes!! I meant to paste the link in the 1st place. Thank you.

Much of what I was looking up was the relationship between multiple myeloma & Pats' polycythemia vera.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/21542/1/Cel...eins/Page1.html

Wow...I'll be interested to hear Jestgar's take on this.

elye Community Regular
Wow...I'll be interested to hear Jestgar's take on this.

Yep, me too. Jess. I will read this...my dad's father died young of multiple myeloma....

Jestgar Rising Star

I've got the source article. I'll read it tonight. I've got a boat to catch

tom Contributor

EM!!!!!!!!!! a VERY welcome injection of levity!!! :D

:lol: :lol: ROFL @ the av!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

(Poser :P but not wormwood poseur)

I know, I know.....so busy unpacking, doing laundry and detoxifying from the 65 proof Absinthe I found at the foot of Mt. Tremblant Village......!!!!!!!! :o:lol::lol:

Whoa!!! A new champion @ 65 .. .wait a second. ...you'd BETTER mean 65%, aka 130proof!!!!!!!!

OMG. I still cannot believe I found the stuff (the only liquor outlet, I was told, that has it available in Quebec...there it was, tucked away on the ski hill...astonishing...'twas meant to be...)

Indeeeeeeeed :lol:

Won't go into detail about the reception of this fine substance and its effects on family members...I'll just say that as I lay in steaming, bubbling, 102 degree water up to my chin, the stars of the midnight sky above, surrounded by like-addled siblings and husband, Rachmaninov piping outside from the stereo, I kept thinking of how my little glass of the beautious drink just rounded the perfection off.

It made our charade game one of the most enjoyable, and challenging, ever.

Password was suddenly a magical exercise for me...came up with some spectacular clues.

Cranium? We did amazing things.

Did NOT attempt Twister...it was close, however.

As a result, I am sure, of absinthe-brain, I took on my son's dare and leapt out of the steaming hot tub into the adjacent snowbank and did a quick snow angel.

Insanity! But what fun it is to be insane..... :rolleyes:

Ohhhhh my gawwwwd it's awwwwwwll too phaerifically phunny!!!!!!!

Password a "magical exercise"! :lol:

SNOW ANGEL!! :lol:

Did a lot of snowshoeing around the lake we were on....caught up with my sister, whom I spent quite a bit of time with. Danced, ate plentifully, talked till I couldn't anymore.

It all seemed so believable up to this .. . ..

:P <couldn't TALK? . .. ..HA!! . . .. .how gullible do you think we are?>

Amanda! What a roller coaster for you! I'm sorry about the whole office fiasco. You need some absinthe....

Ahhhhhhhhhh another convert .. . ..

[Ooooh schwa me!! CONvert/conVERT]

Did Susie & Kissey have a nice visit w/ the Phaerie?

elye Community Regular
Whoa!!! A new champion @ 65 .. .wait a second. ...you'd BETTER mean 65%, aka 130proof!!!!!!!!

.....Yep. Frighteningly strong stuff. Well......at first, perhaps. No fear anymore. :lol::ph34r:

Our bottle has cane sugar added, so it was somewhat sweet. Didn't have to fuss with sugar cubes and holey spoons.

Anyways, I now know where to get the phaerie, and I have found the perfect spot to indulge over a long weekend. So, I am going to rent the cabin again this summer and all of us Sillies are meeting there. It's decided. Mygawd, what phun we would have..... :):)

Mtndog Collaborator
This cracked me up :lol:

Cape Cod--we visited there several years ago. Went to Hyanis Port and saw (from afar) the Kennedy compound (typical tourists :P ). It's beautiful up your way....my SIL lives in New Hampshire, and Mark's cousins live in Connecticut. We just haven't been much of anywhere in the last couple of years.

DON'T GO to Connecticut- no one escapes that state without Lyme (I swear!!!!!!!!) but all the other places are quite lovely! I LOVE the Cape (and the Canadian National Anthem :P )

WHAT!!!!!!!???????????

She is OFF PISTE .....inexplicably drawn to sillyville :D

OMG- off piste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that phrase!

Off piste? When my husband gets home late every night for a week, I get very off piste! I like it.

Sarah- :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Tom, I don't know what to say....I'm quite sure I would be having the same thoughts you are if I were in your place. There's just so much about this da*n disease that we don't know. :(

Tom- I have had those same thoughts about my mom who died of a very rare form of stomach cancer 5 years ago. Tthe tumor was right where the stomach connects to the small intestine. Celiac runs in her side of the family (I'm adopted so I don't count but her niece and her sister both have it) so I have wondered for 3 years now if she was a silent celiac. Her mom also died of stomach cancer. I'll never know but I will always wonder.

Ugh- I have to stop Lyme treatment for a bit as my blood presure isn't holding up too well :( Not that it's fun but I'm making progress.

OK enough Mopey Mtndog.....Emily- SO glad you had a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to ski again.

And to lift our spirits, must end this post with Open Original Shared Link

Gotta say- I LOVE the first one!!!!!!!!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Bev--those signs were funny!

True story....several years ago, Mark was out in Wyoming. While driving, he saw an old stove left by the side of the road, door open, out in the middle of nowhere. The sign next to it said "Open Range". :P

~alex~ Explorer
And to lift our spirits, must end this post with Open Original Shared Link

Gotta say- I LOVE the first one!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that was funny!!! They were all pretty funny. The blue sign with all of the people and the guns and the deer was weird and scary -- I want to know what it means!

Patti -- "open range"! He must of got a good laugh about that!

A few years ago I used to see a turkey right in the middle of this one neighboUhood. I saw it a couple of times and then when I went back sometime later, there was a yellow sign saying "Turkey Crossing". It made me laugh being right in the middle of the city!

edit: Emily! I just saw you av! It resulting in laughing that ended with a little bit of hot tea being projected out of my nose. I wish the LCBO carried some good absinthe! I want to experiment with the Green Fairy! ;)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Ok....so the office story....as some of you know I struggled in the office with some of my coworkers for a long time, I just didnt fit in well. My cubie mate and I became really close especially in the last few months, so now she gets to move to the office and I stayed behind. She will get the new person coming to our job, and I will get another one of our friends I like (doesnt have the same job though) But my cubie mate and the new person have an office, the other two people who have the same job share an office....I feel like the odd ball out now, and I feel like I will be even more isolated. I dont always get kept in the loop as it is....now I just feel even more out of it.

No one is happy with this, my cubie mate is mad too....I told my supervisor exactly how I felt today too...she said it will be good for the new person to be bunked with someone...which I admit makes sense but I hate how this was done....any thoughts....I am so depressed!

elye Community Regular
I wish the LCBO carried some good absinthe! I want to experiment with the Green Fairy! ;)

Frustrating, I know.....I could not find it anywhere in this part of the province... :angry:

tom Contributor
Ok. time to sulk...my thunder was stolen in the 5 minutes of glory I had. I will not be moving, my cubie mate will....more later when I am home...to mad and upset to post now :(

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I was so excited for you too

Living in England (a very temperate clime with no real extremes or differences of temperature over the UK) I am fascinated by 'your' weather :lol:

I can't imagine driving an hour down the road and the temp being different? :blink: .... :lol:

They use a word here that I thought was total bs at first.

"Microclimates"

But it's valid - I swear I've even driven 5 min and it's completely diff, w/ sunny warmth replaced by cold dreary clouds. 10-15deg F different & probably not a whole mile away! (Opposite sides of mini-peninsula by Monterey/Carmel. Maybe more like next-cove-over)

And another time it an unreal 45F degree diff in places ~20miles apart!

No high/low tricks . .. ..it was that weird most of the afternoon.

He he he! I know the Canadian National Anthem by heart and am wont to sing it under the influence! :lol: My wedding night I busted it out on our way back to the inn! I would be Canadian in a sec!

:lol: :lol:

OMG- NO ONE else here has a house on the Cape? Or the hamptons? Can't believe it! Actually- Cape Cod is close to me and it is really nice in the summer. You can come visit me and we can go down- it's about a two hour drive from here. I lived down there the summer after I graduated from college. It was FUN! Not in a mansion by the sea but a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 girls. Walked to the beach though!

"Bev Gone Wild" !!!!

What a blast that must've been!

. .. .. When we could come home a bit late from school and with mud and water all over us our mom would say, "Off-piste again, eh?". My brother and I would fall over laughing every time because we thought it sounded like off-piste should be a dirty word :lol:. I can't wait to work in off-piste into my next conversation with my brother!

:lol:

That anticipatory excitement makes me smile :)

Off Piste sounds like one-a-them-thar de-dangled modifiers.

Great signs Bev!!!!!!! :lol:

elye Community Regular

Mygawd, just realized something. There is no bloody way I can make an appearance on any other thread, for any reason, with this avatar in place. :huh::huh::lol:

jerseyangel Proficient
Mygawd, just realized something. There is no bloody way I can make an appearance on any other thread, for any reason, with this avatar in place. :huh::huh::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

psawyer Proficient

Ah, but every single post you have ever made, all of them, are showing this avatar. Updates to your custom title, avatar and signature are retroactive. The board only keeps the current copy, and anyone looking at any post you have ever made sees the current one. :lol:

So, I guess it is a good thing that you are showing your good side to the camera. :ph34r:

I hope you had a wonderful time off in the Laurentians, whether on the piste or off of it. You can certainly get mired if you wander off the piste, but I'm not sure you would actually be "piste off."

Piste is an English word, borrowed from the francais. Check your dictionaries.

tom Contributor

Oh but Em it's so purrrrrrphectly Av-sinthian!!!

I'll be cracking up every time I see it.

(Oh if the roomie only knew what he started :lol: ) :lol: :lol:

Archived