Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

#301 HiDee

HiDee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:34 PM

Okay, I can't find garfava or sorghum locally. :( I have rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour/starch, flaxseed meal, and Arrowhead Mills all purpose wheat free baking mix. Any recommendations for some substitutions there? I really want to try this out and I can't get to the HFS or place an order for another week or two.

You can do all rice flour in place of the bean flour and for the gluten-free flour (1 1/2 cups total rice flour). You can do tapioca starch if you don't have corn starch. I like the taste of sorghum added to brown rice but it will definitely work without sorghum or bean flour and you may like it better with all rice but it's fun to try dif. combos of flour til you find the taste you like. As many have said before, including the creator of the recipe, Laurie, it is a very forgiving recipe and can handle substitutions and changes in flour well.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#302 huevo_no_bueno

huevo_no_bueno

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:24 PM

I have this in the oven right now! I made the following substitutions, since I can't tolerate potato starch, cornstarch, bean flours, and of course the eggs:

Gluten Free Flour, 1 1/4 cups:
3/4 c. brown rice flour
2T quinoa flour
2T amaranth flour
2T sweet rice flour
2T millet flour

In place of the 1/4 c. garfava flour: 1/4 c. sorghum flour
In place of the 1/2 c. potato starch and 1/4 c. cornstarch: arrowroot starch

In place of two eggs and two whites: 3T flaxmeal and water to 1/3 cup

Everything else was as originally written.

I don't have a stand mixer, so I mixed it as long as I could with a wooden spoon.

I let it rise for 80 minutes in a warm oven--and no, it did not rise to the top of the pan, it is barely halfway up the sides of the pan. Maybe a 9x5 pan is too big. If it makes it to the top of the pan in the course of baking, I will be overjoyed.

It is now about 20 minutes from being done. It never rose more than about 1/4". I know there is nothing wrong with the yeast--it is fresh.

Where did I go wrong?

(1) Is there something funny about arrowroot starch that I don't know?
(2) Is it essential to own a stand mixer for this recipe to succeed?
(3) Are there other flours that work better when you cannot use eggs or egg replacer?

Thanks for your help.
Positive IgA-gluten in 2004
Positive IgG-gluten in 2008
Gluten intolerance
Egg allergy

#303 huevo_no_bueno

huevo_no_bueno

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

Well! I think I have already figured out a way to solve my problem: I will use baking soda and grain-free baking powder for the rise, with yeast added for flavor only. I have seen recipes that work this way before. I will also put it in an 8x4 pan and bake it at a lower temperature (325) for longer (about an hour).

Overall, it still made a perfect, wheat-like crumb, and the flour combination I used totally recreated the taste of wheat! I feel like I have really hit on something! :D

I'm going to share this with my friends and see if they think it tastes like wheat!
Positive IgA-gluten in 2004
Positive IgG-gluten in 2008
Gluten intolerance
Egg allergy

#304 Blueyedtiger

Blueyedtiger

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hi Everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum. I've been reading threads here since last week when I happened on this site. After reading all the raves on this bread I had to go out and buy myself flours to make this. I made it to go with soup for my dinner tonight and it came out perfect. That was my first time ever making bread with yeast and I must say it wasn't as hard as it had always seemed. My non-celiac parents enjoyed it too. It was so flavorful and so bread like. I have been eating the Food for Life Brown Rice Bread and it is like a brick. My old roommate said I never had to worry about being robbed on the way home from the store as I could just use the bread to knock out my attacker. I recently bought the a bread from ener-g and although it was soft and bread like, it did not taste too great.

Thank you to everyone who commented and convinced me to try my hand at baking bread.

:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

#305 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

I've been looking at this recipe for a while now, planned on trying it but never got around to it. Since my dh went gluten-free, he's been on me to come up with a "normal" bread. Now, I like the Pamela's wheat free bread mix, but i made this last night and I LOVE this!!! I had to make a few substitutions with the flour, but it tastes like "normal" bread--better, if you ask me. My dh really likes it and it will now be a staple in our house. I'm going to make up baggies of the dry ingredients and keep in the fridge to expedite the process. I did the rise in a turned off oven, it rose over the edge of the pan in 60 minutes, so I went ahead and turned the oven on from there. It shrunk only a little, and really is flawless. I know you've heard it before, but THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! :D

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#306 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

This really is my favorite bread recipe! I made a batch of it on Wed night, half made into stuffing, and the other half into rolls. Both turned out fantastic! Best part of my thanksgiving feast! I just threw a double batch into the oven to have sandwiches and french toast for this week. I love it!
I subbed in soy milk and agave nectar :) So good!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#307 garzaglass

garzaglass

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:40 PM

has anybody made this in a bread maker? I have a zojirushi x20 and was wondering if I could use the regular white bread setting for this or should I customize it? also does anybody substitute other flours for garfava flour? thats the only one I cant find.

:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

#308 trixiesirisheyes

trixiesirisheyes

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

I can't wait to try this bread...I really, really miss bread. My favorite snack in the whole world was a loaf of sourdough or French bread and some butter...I've been making bread since I was 10 years old - that's 41 years. Now, no bread. My sister recommended some Glutino Flax seed bread, and it was so foul. I spit it into the trash and dumped my plate. It was like chewing on a spoonful of seeds (and I love whole grain bread!). That is not bread. I had tried Udi's whole grain bread (pretty yummy), but now my health food store says it's out of stock and they can't get it in. I need bread. I need toast. I need breakfast. I need a PB&J sandwich. I need to make some bread.

I am so excited to read about this!!!

#309 finlayson

finlayson

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

I can't wait to try this - but I do not have any garfave or sorghum flour. Does anyone know if I can substitute soy flour for this?

#310 purple

purple

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

I can't wait to try this - but I do not have any garfave or sorghum flour. Does anyone know if I can substitute soy flour for this?

Go here: http://www.recipezaar.com/190906
read through the reviews, there was at least one that used PART soy flour.
Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#311 Wolicki

Wolicki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

I FOUND THIS RECIP ON A WHILE BACK, AND FINALLY MADE IT ON sUNDAY. I THOUGHT IT WAS PRETTY TASTELESS :( I THINK I'VE BEEN SPOILED BY UDI'S :D
Gluten free is not so bad! If you are new, hang it there, it gets easier!

#312 kannne

kannne

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:52 AM

Do I need to heat the water/milk?
SCD diet.

#313 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:57 AM

No matter what recipe I use, I usually let the yeast hang out in the warm liquid for 10 min. to get a good start. The liquid should be no more than 110 degrees. Usually just lightly warm to the touch is good.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#314 halfrunner

halfrunner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

bump
Some people merely follow their dreams. Other people hunt them down and beat them into submission.

#315 BlueTaelon

BlueTaelon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

I've made this bread twice now, the 1st time I messed up and forgot to add the vinegar and didn't notice I subbed tapioca for the corn starch. The 2nd time I got it right and started baking it before it reached the edge of the pan. Both times it rose ridiculously high and spectacularly collapsed when I pulled it out of the oven:( I've read the whole thread and for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong:( The only thing I didn't do was add the flax since I didn't have any, does it make that much of a difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: