22 replies to this topic

#16 Mayflowers

Mayflowers

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:45 PM

I wish I could say this was my story with weight loss. But no, I am the one who has more or less stayed the same.

I don't eat much in the way of processed food, and I still eat a bit of bread, cakes and potatoes, but much less than I did before. I have already cut out breakfast cereal. I know that if I start eating the way suggested in this thread, the weight will drop off, but I am just a bit reluctant as it completely goes against all the food education that I have had.

Maybe I should just take the bull by the horns and take the plunge and do it, so that I can post in this thread that I have lost the 20kilos (42 pounds?) I need to loose. But I am dreading not eating potatoes with my evening meal. But maybe I have just been inspired to do this. I think I have a couple of hurdles to jump before I can come to terms with this and all its implications.

Cathy

If you follow the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, you can have your potatoes at dinner time and not have to give them up and still be on a low carb diet.
HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)
Antigliadin IgA 72
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

I have been gluten-free for 7 months and haven't lost a bit of weight. Now my Dr wants me to try the Dairy Challenge. Can anyone give me words of encouragement re weight loss after starting Dairy Free ?

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#18 Cory727

Cory727

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:36 PM

Has anyone lost weight by being on the gluten free diet alone or is it neccessary to cut carbs other places as well. I was just diagnosed and I am just learning the diet. I feel smaller but I assume that is due to the lack of bloating. Im not overweight really but I have a wedding comming up in a few months and I suppose I am hoping the lack of sweets and things will make a little difference. I would love to lose 10 pounds. Anyone think thats possible?

#19 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for sharing the story! Its an encouragement to many!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#20 Guest_AutumnE_*

Guest_AutumnE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:52 PM

georgie- Im sorry your having a hard time losing weight. Im dairy, gluten,soy and grain free currently and weight is coming off. It might be what you need to help you lose weight. Are you eating things with corn syrup? Are you drinking plenty of water?

Cory- I did initially do that and the weight did come off but other problems with foods started to arise and I needed to be more strict. I would cut back on grains, you may not need to cut them totally. And lay off things with corn syrup since it slows down your metabolism. Are you drinking plenty of water? That has helped me too.

If either of you wants to come over on my weight loss suppourt thread we have some lnice ladies over there who are very knowledgable about dieting, feel free to join us :)

Jenvan Thanks :)

#21 Mayflowers

Mayflowers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:18 AM

I need to lose 30 pounds...I knew a guy who stopped eating wheat and lost 25 pounds so I figured it would happen to me...yeah right. I stopped eating wheat and my weight shot up so fast it made me dizzy! Those gluten free "replacments" for wheat are so fattening! I guess when you take away the malabsorption problem you absorb calories a lot easier. I've lost 9 pounds since August. That's pretty slow. I'm fighting tooth and nail too.
HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)
Antigliadin IgA 72
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

#22 ReallyMe

ReallyMe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

I've been working out wnweightsn3!dfays a week and cardio 2 for 5 months. Was officially dx w celiac a month ago so have been more strict andd consistent w my gluten avoidance. Haven't lost a single pound in 5 months until just last week, finally down 4.

Ant suggestions would be helpful.

#23 RuskitD

RuskitD

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

Autumn, congratulations on your loss!!!! Your story is the type I read here, that gave me hope initially about losing my weight. I had hoped when the inflammation was gone, I would melt it away. Sadly, that isn't happening for me.

I am doing exactly as you, but without the success.

I didn't run to processed gluten free foods. I ate little processed food before going gluten-free, and maybe that is why I didn't see the magic melt like others have. I already had a pretty clean diet. Now my diet is super clean, yet my weight stays.

I developed sensitivities after stopping gluten, and have done elimination diets. Perhaps I have missed something still. It seems my choice of foods is very limited. I have not gone to full organic foods, and maybe that is my problem...?....

I am thankful for all the ways my health has improved! When I have insurance I will ask dr for full thyroid testing, and see if that is my problem. I know I am still healing and my body is still trying to adjust to those changes.
I won't give up the 'fight' to have the best health I can have.

Thank you for giving another glimmer of hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: