This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight And Waist Loss Going Gluten Free

Guest maybe I have celiac

Guest maybe I have celiac

Anyone lose weight and inches of their waist after going Gluten Free?

Does it take time for the waist to decrease due to decreased swelling in the abdomen?

How long did it take and how soon did you notice the change?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

4getgluten Rookie

I don't know about inches off my waist, but I did loose 12 pounds after going gluten-free. I feel like my waist got smaller, because my clothes fit better. However, I never actually measured my waist. I noticed the change within about 4 weeks.

CraigN Newbie

Since March 11 of this year I've lost about 28 pounds after going gluten free. :rolleyes:

new2cd Newbie

I lost 4 lbs and 2 1/2 inches off my waist in the first week that I went gluten free. I deflated like a balloon!! :):):)

Babygirl6915 Explorer

I have lost 10 lbs since going gluten-free. And I have gone down 1 pants size. My goal was to start back to working out July 1st so we will see how it goies after that. I have about 20 more lbs to lose.

pebbles Newbie
Anyone lose weight and inches of their waist after going Gluten Free?

Does it take time for the waist to decrease due to decreased swelling in the abdomen?

How long did it take and how soon did you notice the change?

My abdomen was quite large as of the end of June 07. I started the Celiac diet on 7/1/07. Since day one, I lost 5 inches in my waist and 2 inches from my abdomen. To keep in mind, before I started the diet I looked at least 6 months pregnant (I looked like this for the past 4 months). I understand your frustration!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
dmack Newbie

Ok people, NOT FAIR!

I began bloating over 2 months ago (just when I started working out more and eating less candy of course) -- so badly one particular night I almost took myself to the hospital (think blueberries and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory). Although I didn't have gas or diarrhea, and only occasional nausea, several people thought it was celiac.

I've beenGF for a week now and NO CHANGE to the bloating! I feel a little better, have only been nauseous once since, but my stomach is NOT shrinking. Sorry to use all caps, but i'm really frustrated! The swelling at best has gone down to what used to be the very worst bloating I'd experience during my period, but it's rarely that good, and by the end of the day I'm back up what is now my normal state where my stomach actually begins to hang over my pants (5'4", 118lbs - an overhanging belly doesn't make sense)

If anything, I feel like the swelling in my stomach is just spreading to my thighs and back the longer this goes on (is it just me?). As each gluten-free day passes I think i must not be gluten intolerant, but either way I just want to get this darned bloating down!

Any suggestions?? I'm going nuts!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm one of the exceptions. When people ask me what the symptoms of celiac disease are... I always say, "Unexplained weight loss..." as I look down at myself and add, "Um... I didn't GET that one."

Granted, my celiac disease was diagnosed very quickly... only had symptoms for about 3 months and was diagnosed w/ blood tests.

Then I totally OD'd on the foods I was allowed to have to make up for all those I could no longer have... and gained another 20 lbs!!

I'm a good 25 lbs. over what I'd like to weigh (and we're not talking bikini weight here... just normal for my height and age... and have been trying to concentrate on exercise and strength training.

Nancym Enthusiast

I found I'm sensitive to more than one thing so I had to eliminate dairy and only eat gluten-free grains on occassion and avoid corn. But my stomach is much less pouchy now! And I'm finally losing weight again. However, if I start eating stuff I react to, my belly shows it (and my intestines get unhappy).

So give it time and try to find out if there are other foods causing you issues.

maryjk Newbie

Some of us that didn't lose weight after going gluten free might be interested in a study.

It was done in 2006, and showed that 81% of Celiac's going Gluten Free......gain weight!! :o

dmack Newbie

fabulous - more good news. <_<

Hm. Well, there's comfort in knowing i'm not the only one, and I'll take it! Someone mentioned having reactions to other foods also - I'm good with milk/dairy (had a latte yesterday - sooo yummy), but I'm wondering if maybe beans or peanuts are contributing. Since going gluten-free i've been eating black bean salads, and replacing what used to be my afternoon snack (wheat thins) with trail mix.

it just takes so long to figure it all out - i'm not sure irritability is a real symptom of celiac, as much as just the result of being so annoyed by it.

Well, does anyone know of any little tricks - besides diet (since I 'grow' about an inch every morning between waking up and eating breakfast) - that could help the bloating? Someone mentioned in another post that drinking lots of water and eating salty foods helped -- !!! -- don't know how that works when salt helps you retain water -- and Gas X is worthless.

Cherry Tart Apprentice

My general observation is that those who are overweight before being diagnosed seem to lose weight on the gluten-free diet. Those who are underweight before dx seem to gain. A dear friend of mine was just diagnosed a month ago. She was overweight before going gluten-free. She has been gradually melting away. I seem to be packing on what she has been losing :P Prior to my dx, I was 127 pounds (I'm 5'8"). I dipped down to a dangerous 105 lbs when I was hospitalized. After going gluten-free, I ballooned up to 142! This is the heaviest I have ever weighed! I know its a healthy weight, but after 3 years I still have a hard time accepting it. I'm glad I'm healthy, but I wish I had my old 127 back :(

• 1 month later...
nowheatnomilk Rookie

lost 20 lbs... getting worried was 135 now 115 I cut out all junk in my diet since becoming a celiac.. I hope it's just a better diet and nothing more serious. will consult Dr.. in a few month unless I drop even more..

Guest thatchickali

Went from 128 to 102. I'm 5'9" so it's pretty depressing, everyone thinks I have an eating disorder.

Yellow Rose Explorer

I went from 183 to 162 the first month. Have lost 10 more lbs in the last 3 months and went from a 16 to 14 in clothing. I can actually see my toes again.

Yellow Rose

Joni63 Collaborator

I lost about 5 lbs in my first month and inches off my waist (not sure how many). My bloating stomach definately decreased, even though I still feel bloated at times. Just eliminated dairy yesterday and it seems to be making a difference already.

My mom saw me yesterday for the first time in over a week and she said "Your really losing weight and your bloating is so much better." That was so nice to hear! :D

• 3 weeks later...
stitchy woman Rookie

I've only been gluten-free about 6 weeks, and despite some occasional mistakes where I get small amounts of gluten, I have lost 6 lbs and don't know about the inches. I still have a fair amount more to lose, but it is a relief to see the scale go the other way, as well as no longer having the internal tickings of when Things Are Not Right.

hathor Contributor
Someone mentioned having reactions to other foods also - I'm good with milk/dairy (had a latte yesterday - sooo yummy), but I'm wondering if maybe beans or peanuts are contributing.

(snip)

Well, does anyone know of any little tricks - besides diet (since I 'grow' about an inch every morning between waking up and eating breakfast) - that could help the bloating? Someone mentioned in another post that drinking lots of water and eating salty foods helped -- !!! -- don't know how that works when salt helps you retain water -- and Gas X is worthless.

How do you know you are good with milk & dairy? My primary response to it is bloating and you have that. I've certainly read the comments of many others who react to dairy with bloating. Just saying it might be worthwhile to try going going dairy free and see what happens. Even if you aren't sensitive to casein, many gluten intolerant folks find themselves lactose intolerant, at least until the gluten-free diet heals their villi. The villi are what enables digesting the lactose. And what is a major symptom of lactose intolerance? Bloating.

I also can't see how salt would help. If I have much sodium over the course of a day, I bloat up. And Gas X never worked for me, either.

Have you tried a food diary? There may be something you are regularly getting that causes the problem. Do you have anything with sorbitol or mannitol in it perchance? Those things often cause bloating. How about carbonated drinks? If you suspect particular things, like beans or peanuts, the only way to know for sure is to cut them out and see what happens.

I find that ginger, in the form of tea, crystalized ginger, or supplements, helps me. Mint tea is nice, too.

I hate to tell you, but coffee can cause bloating in some people. Is that something you have between waking up and having breakfast? Do you have it during the day?

VRB Newbie

I am losing weight also. But I really don't want to. I am 5'4" and weighed 126 about 4 weeks ago. After four weeks of eating Gluten Free, I am now 118. It is kinda scaring me because I don't want to lose anymore. I have disovered however since I am not eating nearly the amount of carbs (I really can't tolerate alot of the gluten-free breads) that I am eating more protiens. I guess this can be the contributing factor. Also, I have heard about several people gaining weight when going gluten-free. Have you seen the amount of calories in the GL bagels, muffins, snacks etc. If you are eating those, I bet you would gain weight. In any case, I have not found that balance yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Blanche22 Newbie
Some of us that didn't lose weight after going gluten free might be interested in a study.

It was done in 2006, and showed that 81% of Celiac's going Gluten Free......gain weight!! :o

Blanche22 Newbie

I have gained weight, if I ate any less I would be eating dust.

Does any one know why its hard to loose weight after being diagnosed, I am getting tired of people telling me I look healthy.

Miyu Newbie
My general observation is that those who are overweight before being diagnosed seem to lose weight on the gluten-free diet. Those who are underweight before dx seem to gain. A dear friend of mine was just diagnosed a month ago. She was overweight before going gluten-free. She has been gradually melting away. I seem to be packing on what she has been losing tongue.gif Prior to my dx, I was 127 pounds (I'm 5'8"). I dipped down to a dangerous 105 lbs when I was hospitalized. After going gluten-free, I ballooned up to 142! This is the heaviest I have ever weighed! I know its a healthy weight, but after 3 years I still have a hard time accepting it. I'm glad I'm healthy, but I wish I had my old 127 back

that would be an intresting study indeed, as to why some gain, and some lose, or some stay the same. the only thing I can think of is you are loseing becasue your overall diet have improved, I found I was overweight becasue My body was craving foods that I wasn't getting even when I ate them, so I ate SSO MUCH, trying to get a little amount of Nutrition in a huge diet. and maybe for the people gaining, maybe you were "underweight" because of lack of nutrition, and your body was starving!! and now that you are getting it (nutrition), your body is putting it away, it is going in to starvation moad/protection

medictao Newbie

Newly diagnosed celiac and have really dropped some weight since being g.f. I was 189 some 6 months ago and am now 163! At first everything was great, but as the last 10 pounds have been shed, I'm getting a bit concerned. Is there a point that we can expect to level off? Those have gained weight, do you still feel bloated or nasuea?

mftnchn Explorer
I've beenGF for a week now and NO CHANGE to the bloating! I feel a little better, have only been nauseous once since, but my stomach is NOT shrinking.

Any suggestions?? I'm going nuts!

I went gluten-free in April 2007, and have lost some weight (can't tell you exactly) but the loss has increased in the past month or two.

Also I still have times where I really bloat, but also now have some times when all that goes down.

Dmack,

One thing is that the healing takes a long time. 1 week is very short when it takes 1-2 years for adults to heal.

I agree with the dairy possibly contributing.

You could try eliminating all grains, dairy, legumes and nightshades for a week, just to see what happens. If you are better, instead of adding them all back, add them one at a time. This is a lot of work, but it is very very helpful to determine what impacts the bloating.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Surely that reflects the number of celiac sufferers who were underweight to begin with, due to malabsorption and D. I lost 10 pounds quitting WHEAT and DAIRY, and another 5-10 quitting gluten.

As to the bloating issues - try quitting dairy (first and foremost, especially if you also have constipation). Also nightshades, garlic, sugar. I get bloated if I eat potatoes, or if get to eating too much sugar. I also get yeasty if I eat too much sugar. (Too much sugar here, by the way, means like two teaspoons a day - I need to eat none.) What else? corn and soy are big ones. Not chewing one's food or eating too much per meal. Swallowing air while eating? Not sure on that one.

Archived