This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Severe Itching After Taking Baths..

aeshlea

aeshlea Apprentice

So..I was just recently diagnosed as having a wheat intolerance. I am new to the forum and so thankful for the help I have received about the questions I have posted. I was lying in bed tonight after a bath and my feet were itching like crazy, also my palms a little. This is not new for me...for a long time I have had to be careful with how long I take baths for, or at least how long I let my feet and hands soak, because RIGHT after I get out I have crazy painful itching on them. It lasts anywhere between 10-30mins...depending on if I let myself itch or not. Nothing actually changes with the skin itself...maybe red from the itching...but no hives or anything like that. So as I have recently tested positive for wheat intolerance I thought 'Hell, this could have something to do with that maybe' so I looked it up and a found a few random things about people having this (I think its called aquagenic pruritis?) and it being related to celiac disease. I am wondering if any of you out there have experienced this??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I used to get this effect also and it would also involve my lower legs, but it was secondary to the 'about to pass out effect' that I would get from a hot bath.

jerseyangel Proficient

I used to have this terribly before I was gluten-free, but going gluten-free didn't totally stop it. Even the shower spray on my skin would begin the burn/itching.

I also switched laundry detergents--I use Purex Free and Clear. I use very mild soaps and gluten-free shampoo and lotion.

Also, I had other food sensitivites, and figuring out what they were (through elimination diet) and avoiding them has also helped. Since you're intolerant to wheat, it's quite possible that you may have other intolerances.

My skin is still much more sensitive than it once was, but I don't get the awful itching anymore unless accidently glutened. Then, I will get it especially on my upper arms and legs.

• 4 weeks later...
yukionna Newbie

Hi Aeshlea,

just saw your post and thought I'd give my two cents..

I've had problems with itchy skin for ages and tried just about anything to find out what's causing it. My dermatologist says, it's something that accompanies chronical deseases and they don't really know why. I observed that it's worse when my immunesystem seems to be busy, eg when I'm developing a cold, or the week before my period starts. Stress is always a big influence, and yes, hot showers and baths make it worse. What helps is to cool the skin, you know those jelly packs you can keep in the fridge, stuff like that.

Iris

Guest swezzan

:) Hi there,

I know this might seem simply to your question about being itchy after bathing but how u considered that that shampoo u use might have a derivative of a wheat protein in it or even what you use as an additive to the bath water would do it.

For some just feeling the gluten on their skin causes a reaction. One does not notice the connection until u stay away from it for a while.

It took me the better part of a yr to realize that my shampoo had wheat protein, as most do, and it was causing the itch, dandruff, and my hair falling out. Good luck swezzan

TestyTommy Rookie

I have really dry skin, too. It was one of my first symptoms when I got sick years ago. It's improved since being gluten-free, but it's not gone. One doctor I saw said it's caused by 'activated mast cells'. Mast cells are part of the immune system and located in the lower layer of skin. They produce antibodies.

It helps to keep your showers short and then immediately use lotion while your skin is still damp. I'm very sensitive to fragrances, so I like to use Kiss My Face's Olive & Aloe. Lubriderm for sensitive skin is okay, too.

Dandelion Contributor

I remember reading in a magazine that when you take a hot shower or bath the hot water cause a large amount of histamine to rush to the skin surface making it temporarily itch more. Maybe soaking in the bath is causing this for you? If I find the link I will post it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Two thoughts:

1) Are you using oatmeal baths? Oatmeal is NOT good for celiacs! Besides for a huge amount of cross-contamination with wheat, it also contains a protein that is molecularly similar to gluten, and many celiacs react to it.

2) What you have might actually be dermatitis herpetiformis, which ONLY celiacs get (and it's horribly itchy). You can be celiac and not have DH, but if you have DH, you definitely have celiac. Baths seem to make it worse, for some reason, but I don't know why.

• 6 months later...
karenleigh Newbie

I also have intolerable itching on my feet and somtimes on the palms of my hands after a bath.

I have severe seasonal allergies and am very allergic to raw apples and hazelnuts.

Maybe i also have a wheat intolerance. I have never met anyone else with these symptoms.

I ususally put gold bond powder on my feet and cover them with socks. This helps a bit.

I love to take baths and it is ssssoooo annoying.... :(

babysteps Contributor
I have really dry skin, too. It was one of my first symptoms when I got sick years ago. It's improved since being gluten-free, but it's not gone. One doctor I saw said it's caused by 'activated mast cells'. Mast cells are part of the immune system and located in the lower layer of skin. They produce antibodies.

It helps to keep your showers short and then immediately use lotion while your skin is still damp. I'm very sensitive to fragrances, so I like to use Kiss My Face's Olive & Aloe. Lubriderm for sensitive skin is okay, too.

I'm sensitive to fragrance, too.

Once I went to gluten-free and fragrance free personal care products (soap, detergent, shampoo, deodorant, lotion etc) my skin got much less 'cranky', or at least cranky a lot less of the time! For whatever reason I didn't go to fragrance free shampoo until much later than my other items, I guess I didn't think it was as much of a problem - but when I did, wow, big difference for me.

• 3 weeks later...
fedora Enthusiast

I wanted to bring this post back up. I usually shower, but when I take a bath I get head itching in the middle of the night. I use the exact same products(all gluten free). I shower first. Then I soak in a clean bath. This last time I even rinsed off my head again after getting out. I still itched like crazy. It is the lower half of the back of my head. Not my neck at all. Any opinions on why it would be just my head???

Aleshia Contributor
So..I was just recently diagnosed as having a wheat intolerance. I am new to the forum and so thankful for the help I have received about the questions I have posted. I was lying in bed tonight after a bath and my feet were itching like crazy, also my palms a little. This is not new for me...for a long time I have had to be careful with how long I take baths for, or at least how long I let my feet and hands soak, because RIGHT after I get out I have crazy painful itching on them. It lasts anywhere between 10-30mins...depending on if I let myself itch or not. Nothing actually changes with the skin itself...maybe red from the itching...but no hives or anything like that. So as I have recently tested positive for wheat intolerance I thought 'Hell, this could have something to do with that maybe' so I looked it up and a found a few random things about people having this (I think its called aquagenic pruritis?) and it being related to celiac disease. I am wondering if any of you out there have experienced this??

I get this. its not just on my hands and feet though... its everywhere! worst on my face and neck. I get it after a shower. my naturopath said it is yeast related. and I know a lot of celiacs seem to have yeast/candida problems in their gut....

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Does this ever bring back memories!!!! :( My sister and I both had this, except on our legs, before going gluten free. We lived in rural Michigan, she still does. In rural areas, you have your own wells, if you dont have a water softener and condition your own water, this itching is even worse!!! 30 mins would have been a relief!!! After going gluten free, the itching did slowly ease up, now it only happens if I use a product with gluten or some other grain in it.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Having neurological issues, I can say that "itching" can have to do with nerves. If they are stimulated by something such as water pressure or heat, all sorts of strange reactions can occur. I get the itching. If I turn on the electric blanket in the winter I itch like mad. I dont take baths in as long as I can remember. I know I dont like the shower "hot". Tepid even in winter and this keeps the itching down a lot.

AndrewNYC Explorer

You might be allergic to water. I recommend you carry an umbrella at all times.

debmidge Rising Star

I am thinking it's something in your soap - read the ingredients "Aveno" or words which

look this this mean "oats". Again, you might not be sensitive to oat, but we know that

regular oats are harvested with wheat, etc. and there could be cross contamination getting

to you. Or fragrance allergy issues.

I know when I use Paul Mitchell stuff my head, neck & shoulders get very itchy.

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I get this too, and it is not better gluten-free then it was before I went gluten-free. I use all non-scented products and I try not to take baths anymore even though I love them. My husband catches me even scratching in my sleep. Sometimes I end up scarring from the scratching, but not much that I do actually makes the itching any better. I've never considered this a celiac issue since it is no better since going gluten free, but it sure is annoying.

elonwy Enthusiast

I have had severe itching my whole life and its gotten worse even as I've gone gluten free. Showers and hot water tend to make it worse. I just finally went to an allergist and it turns out I'm really allergic to quite a few things. When I take a hard core antihistamine, my itching goes away. Since I'm allergic to dust mites and cockroaches (indoors) and pines/juniper/Cedar/Spruce (outdoors in most parts of N. America) I've decided to start immunotherapy. But anyway, it could just be straight old allergies.

Archived