This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is With All The "look Out For Gluten In ~ Insert Toiletry Item~"

mattathayde

mattathayde Apprentice

ok so i am a bit confused, i see a lot of this type of warning here yet it looks like the list of those things that contain gluten is much much smaller than those that dont. from my quick research it looks like every major brand of tooth paste is gluten-free and while i havent gotten to look into it much it seems like most soaps,body washes, shampoos, etc are gluten-free (and even if they are not would it really by that much of an issue, i guess i could see for some items it being more than others but your skin wont absorb it).

i guess i am just kind of thinking out loud here but it seems like it is emphasized much higher than the threat is.

discuss...

-matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

raisin Enthusiast

The actual level of threat is different for different people.

You will find the two extremes : the ones who believe avoiding non-food gluten is unnecessary and/or gives celiacs a bad presentation to others - And the ones (like myself) who get very sick from so much as using a little lotion/soap/shampoo containing even oats or wheat grass. The definition of what brands are and are not gluten-free also vary depending on who you ask. Most people can use products not directly containing gluten (or containing a small amount), while people like me can't use anything not produced in a 100% gluten-free facility.

There is also debate as to whether or not skin can absorb gluten. There is no evidence to say it can't, and no scientific research on the subject. DH suffers prove skin contact with gluten can render a reaction, but only first-hand testimonies claim gluten gives other celiac-reactions, so those who don't experience this are skeptics. (Again, I have experienced it first hand.)

The argument between the two extreme sides of sensitivity has gotten pretty played-out, and a topic like this is probably just going to instigate it again.

mushroom Proficient

The most common gluten item to show up in hair care products is "hydrolyzed wheat protein". You can choose to avoid it or not as you please. As Raisin has said, for some it is important; others don't give a hoot. These are not rules being set out here--just guidelines and FYI; use where appropriate or ignore. The whole point of this forum, I believe, is to allow us to make informed decisions. If you don't know about it, you don't know whether or not you should worry about it.

mattathayde Apprentice

i totally understand the point of looking out for it and all but i guess what i was really trying to get at is that it seems to me that very few products have gluten in them. maybe i just happen to use things that are totally gluten-free

-matt

Jestgar Rising Star
i totally understand the point of looking out for it and all but i guess what i was really trying to get at is that it seems to me that very few products have gluten in them. maybe i just happen to use things that are totally gluten-free

-matt

I think it's the pricier natural stuff. I don't shop at that level either, so I've never worried about it. :rolleyes:

celiac-mommy Collaborator

My 3y/o drinks the bath water when I'm not looking :huh: And my dd often opens her mouth wide when I'm rinsing her hair in the shower (for some reason they think they can't breathe thru their noses in the shower :P) I can't use a soap/bodywash/shampoo with any kind of gluten because both of my kids are so sensitive to it at any level. For some of us it is more important than for others.

mommida Enthusiast

It is possible to ingest shampoo in the shower. From the product rinsing over your face. It is claimed many cases of Montezuma's revenge are caused by showering in the water.

If you slather on hand cream with gluten then you can cause cross-contamination for all foods you consume.

Very sensitive Celiacs have can give you a heads up on what is causing a reaction. i.e. the McDonald's french fries. Sensitive Celiacs were having reactions to what the company said was gluten free. In fact the oil had flavoring that had gluten in it.

It's your decision based on your lifestyle. i.e. If you are a parent of a Celiac child you tend to stay on the alert for all gluten ~ even pet food!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

foodiegurl Collaborator
It is possible to ingest shampoo in the shower. From the product rinsing over your face. It is claimed many cases of Montezuma's revenge are caused by showering in the water.

sorry, I had to laugh as this reminds me of the Charlotte in the 'Sex and the City' movie - hehe.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I don't consider myself a super sensitive, but I am sensitive to skin products. I have to be very careful with shower products as my scalp is very prone to breakouts. That has improved greatly with the removal of gluten from my diet and products. If I don't check sample products, I'll break out again. Oh yeah, this is how it used to be all the time!

If they don't bother you, don't worry about it.

I think mostly this comes up when someone reports they are still sick and are looking for hidden gluten. In that case it is a valid point.

Takala Enthusiast

I take it matt doesn't wear face powder or lipstick or moisturizer. I don't know why people who want to use "whatever" on themselves must keep insisting the rest of us must be making up reactions and should keep knowingly exposing ourselves to it. Why don't you put some wheat flour on a brush and dust your face with it, then mix it into some butter and smear it over your lips and hands daily and then go about your day and see if you don't find yourself wondering what happens next.

mattathayde Apprentice

im not trying to blow off the idea that it does affect but more so how common gluten is in these items, i dont know what is in make ups but just from looking it really seemed like the majority of big name brands were all gluten free. i saw there was a good amount of them that say they cannot guarantee gluten-free because the ingredients are from places that cannot guarantee it.

i guess my whole post is really about trying to find out how common is it really? i guess it may be more common in make up (glad i like a more natural look on females ;) ) but on most of the other things it seems very few and far between.

again im not trying to play down that it does affect some but it just seems that some come across in a way that make it seem like it is hard to find gluten-free toothpaste or soap

-matt

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Matt :)

I understand where you're coming from. It's not difficult to find personal care products that don't contain gluten--more sensitive individuals need to call the companies to be sure. The obvious things to look for on a label are of course wheat and oats. Barley and rye don't appear much with these sort of products.

Make ups don't have to list allergens, so especially in the case of lip products it's necessary to check.

Things I personally look for on a label are the wheat, oat and vitamin E (tocopheryls). The latter can be derived from wheat, but not always. Many times it's from soy.

Crest toothpastes are safe, Dove will list any gluten on the package, as will Garnier. There are many others--the best advice I have if you're concerned is to read the labels and use the 800# for the company if you're not sure. You can always ask about a specific product here and hopefully someone will have experience with it.

As far as whether or not it's necessary to use gluten-free topical products--it's very individual. I didn't think I needed to be concerned with it in the beginning, but I got more sensitive to smaller amounts of gluten as time went on so I'm very careful. Others may not need to be--if you continue to have symptoms after you're relatively sure you have the hang of the diet, then it only makes sense to take a good look at personal care products :)

raisin Enthusiast

For me, it isn't a matter of "products that contain gluten" - but finding the products made on a gluten-free line.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it was extremely hard for me to find dedicated gluten-free paper products, soaps, chap-stick(especially), shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc. Even harder to find ones that also didn't contain my other allergens. It took me a whole year to find a deodorant! And I'm still scared of using most of my art tools (paints, paint thinners, sealents, markers).. because most of that stuff commonly contains gluten.

I think people post about it, because the companies do not legally have to tell us, sense it isn't food. If they can find out, it's great that they're sharing it. I used a mouthwash for months, only to find out it was not gluten-free as the company had once told me, explaining my recurrent problems at the time, thanks to a post here.

mattathayde Apprentice
For me, it isn't a matter of "products that contain gluten" - but finding the products made on a gluten-free line.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it was extremely hard for me to find dedicated gluten-free paper products, soaps, chap-stick(especially), shampoo, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc. Even harder to find ones that also didn't contain my other allergens. It took me a whole year to find a deodorant! And I'm still scared of using most of my art tools (paints, paint thinners, sealents, markers).. because most of that stuff commonly contains gluten.

I think people post about it, because the companies do not legally have to tell us, sense it isn't food. If they can find out, it's great that they're sharing it. I used a mouthwash for months, only to find out it was not gluten-free as the company had once told me, explaining my recurrent problems at the time, thanks to a post here.

i guess that makes more sense.

as to the gluten-free chap stick i know burts bees is gluten-free but i am not sure off hand if it is on a gluten-free line

to the art supplies, i guess im lucky i hadnt gone gluten-free when i had to use that kind of stuff last year in my art foundation classes and now the majority of what i am using is rather inert or im dealing with enough heat that if there is gluten it will be burned off (metal/jewelry working and glass blowing)

-matt

mysecretcurse Contributor

I broke out in a rash on my scalp from using a non-gluten free shampoo. I didn't get any of it in my mouth either, that was just from it touching my skin.

raisin Enthusiast

No burtz bees products are dedicated. SoftLips brand is 100% gluten, dairy, and soy-free, but I have yet to find any other brands.

I just ended up having to do most of my art digitally (not the same, but not horrible), sense I also have skin reactions to gluten and rice. For metal and glass work.. As far as I know gluten isn't an issue. I do a little of that, too.

mattathayde Apprentice
No burtz bees products are dedicated. SoftLips brand is 100% gluten, dairy, and soy-free, but I have yet to find any other brands.

I just ended up having to do most of my art digitally (not the same, but not horrible), sense I also have skin reactions to gluten and rice. For metal and glass work.. As far as I know gluten isn't an issue. I do a little of that, too.

ya the only real thing i can think of is if the news paper you use to shape the glass was processed with gluten or CC from using the pipes with others, but at that point if your getting contaminated enough to mess with you general living causes issues too

-matt

krystal Rookie
im not trying to blow off the idea that it does affect but more so how common gluten is in these items, i dont know what is in make ups but just from looking it really seemed like the majority of big name brands were all gluten free. i saw there was a good amount of them that say they cannot guarantee gluten-free because the ingredients are from places that cannot guarantee it.

i guess my whole post is really about trying to find out how common is it really? i guess it may be more common in make up (glad i like a more natural look on females ;) ) but on most of the other things it seems very few and far between.

again im not trying to play down that it does affect some but it just seems that some come across in a way that make it seem like it is hard to find gluten-free toothpaste or soap

-matt

I think it's just easier for some to look at a list and be able to check off their usual products and know for a fact that it either *is* or isn't on the list.

When you're sick and trying to hunt down products that are causing it, I find the consolidated lists to really be helpful, even if there is a minority of foods/products that are safe.

I have changed shampoos and conditioners a million times in my life because I had constant break-outs in my hairline from them, and I have been fanatical about my toothpaste as I get this nasty discolored rash down the sides of my mouth (liike a fu manchu) if I stray. I don't know if it's a gluten issue (I doubt it about the toothpaste, but maybe on the shampoo?) or an allergy to a dye, perfume or other issue.

But if you're a parent of a child that is sick especially, they can't do the thinking for themselves, so you want to make sure you're heading in the right direcdtion.

mommida Enthusiast

But if you're a parent of a child that is sick especially, they can't do the thinking for themselves, so you want to make sure you're heading in the right direcdtion.

Crystalkd Contributor

I find this conversation interesting at this point in time. I have not worried about gluten-free toletries other than toothpaste. I don't wear make up often so I'm still using the same lipsticks tthat I used before I went gluten-free. I appear it have ANOTHER ulcer,my 4th in 10 years, and I'm only 27. I was talking to my sister about buying make up that's gluten-free because I'm rather clueless which ones are and aren't and she laughed at me and told me I was nuts. As far as shampoos and can see that point. Haven't looked at that in a while either. I find this site helpful with those little questions especailly because of the "hidden gluten."

krystal Rookie
I find this conversation interesting at this point in time. I have not worried about gluten-free toletries other than toothpaste. I don't wear make up often so I'm still using the same lipsticks tthat I used before I went gluten-free. I appear it have ANOTHER ulcer,my 4th in 10 years, and I'm only 27. I was talking to my sister about buying make up that's gluten-free because I'm rather clueless which ones are and aren't and she laughed at me and told me I was nuts. As far as shampoos and can see that point. Haven't looked at that in a while either. I find this site helpful with those little questions especailly because of the "hidden gluten."

I can remember my kids eating all kinds of things like dog food, glue sticks, PAPER, play-doh. If you have a child that is celiac/gluten sensitive you would almost need to consider everything in your house a potential source of "poisoning" by gluten. You most certainly wouldn't use a poisonous shampoo or toothpaste on your child, so this would be the attitude to have (in my mnind) with a celiac child.

mommida Enthusiast
:rolleyes: We called my daughter "Sharkey" because if you put anything near her mouth she would chomp down on it! :o Especially fingers! :rolleyes: Those were the days.
dilettantesteph Collaborator

Raisin, or anyone else who has problems with Burts Bees. Do you think you had a reaction, or did you just cut it out just in case? I think it is inevitable to ingest a lot of lip balm, and I have been using Burts Bees. Maybe that's partly why I have been so sensitive to food contamination.

Thanks.

mattathayde Apprentice
Raisin, or anyone else who has problems with Burts Bees. Do you think you had a reaction, or did you just cut it out just in case? I think it is inevitable to ingest a lot of lip balm, and I have been using Burts Bees. Maybe that's partly why I have been so sensitive to food contamination.

Thanks.

if you are having issues from using BB i would bet it is more a reaction to the honey or something else. seeing as us celiacs have a higher potential for allergies of all kinds. any allergy that you body is reacting too makes the rest of your body more sensitive to other things.

just to show how bad pollen allergies can be, i have a friend that if he eats any honey it gets violently ill, and allergy season is a nightmare for him (i think he might have celiac but then again i think i might just be looking at my friends and trying to see if anyone has symptoms that could match up)

-matt

SalmonNationWoman Newbie

Check out this site and bookmark it so you can research products before you buy. Open Original Shared Link

Here's a few more tidbits to contemplate about toiletries and cosmetics:

1. There's no regulations regarding labeling or testing of these products in the USA. Far too often, ingredients AREN'T LISTED AT ALL!!! Perfumes and fragrances are particularly bad as they don't want to disclose "trade secrets".

2. In the EU, more thn 1,700 ingredients we commonly use in toilettries are banned because they're hormone disruptive, mutagenic and/or carcinogenic. The list keeps growing, not shrinking. DO YOU REALLY WANT TO PUT THAT KIND OF STUFF ON YOUR SKIN, CELICAC OR NOT?

3.Remember that Celiacs usually have more than one allergy AND NOT JUST TO FOOD-BASED INGREDIENTS. Pharmacological reactions to synthetic detergents, petroleum-based ingredients, chlorines, alcohols, phenols and even flouride are far more common and problematic than possibly imagined.

4. Being a Celiac can trigger secondary reactions and allergies, especially if you're in the healing stage (up to 2 years from inital diagnosis and gluten-free diet) and every time you might be exposed. The likelihood of reacting to something you're not aware of being an offender is much higher if you're already sensitized. It doesn't matter whether it's ingested or contacting your skin.

I'd tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to skin. Manufacturers wouldn't make trans-dermal patches of all sorts of medications if the skin couldn't absorb sufficient quantities to get into the bloodstream. Just because a product doesn't touch the villi doesn't mean it can't trigger the auto-immune response in a sensitive person.

Some of the very first ingredients I developed reactivity to as a teenager were synthetic fabrics, petrolatum/mineral oil base ingredients, latex and FLOURIDE! Try getting away from flouridated water in this country... :P:(

I wasn't "diagnosed" as Gluten-Intolerant until age 48 but had symptoms since early childhood. :angry::(<_< My experience with doctors is less than stellar, so I really strive to treat my patients with greater respect.

Archived