This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Honey Nut Chex

OliveBranch

OliveBranch Apprentice

Hi All,

I have seen that many people have had problems with the gluten-free Cinnamon Chex, but I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with the Honey Nut variety. I bought a box of these -- gluten-free in large letters on the box -- and have felt especially low every day I have eaten them (very fatigued and brain foggy -- my main debilitating symptom). I chalked this up, at the time, to the ups and downs of my continuing recovery (also very possible -- I'm only a few weeks gluten-free), but then I went on a trip and didn't eat them for 3 days, and felt MUCH better than usual. I returned today, ate some Honey Nut Chex for breakfast, and felt horrible again.

Just curious if anyone else has had this experience. Could be a coincidence, I know, but it seems possible to me that Chex has not completely worked out contamination issues yet, or perhaps something else is at work here.

best,

Emily

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

It's often recommended that you eliminate dairy from your diet until you can heal. Dairy can give you some of the same symptoms as gluten if you have a compromised digestive system.

Most often, dairy can be reintroduced down the road successfully.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't usually react to little bits of contamination, and I don't easily suspect products made to be gluten free, but the honey nut chex and chocolate chex have both not sat well with me. The chocolate chex does have a little bit of dairy, but even a huge chunk o' cheese doesn't give me the 'gluten' problems that the chocolate chex does. Of course, I can't guarantee you it's those, but I'm sticking to Kix for now, if I'm going to have a crunchy, non-produce treat.

hannahp57 Contributor

i had almost the same reaction from honey nut chex. fatigue and brain fog but for me i was also nauseous and cramped up most of the day. not fun. i havent even been able to look at a box since then. i can eat the rice chex and had no problems. i also made a "krispie treat" with the chocolate chex and had no issues. honey nut chex just arent okay with my system for whatever reasom

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

We don't eat any of the Chex anymore. For the past few months, my stomach seemed to be more sensitive, I thought it was just other intolerances. My dd had been acting like she had been glutened for quite a while, but I couldn't figure it out.

I finally just quit buying Chex a few weeks ago, and we are both back to normal now. I am completely convinced it was the cereal. I'm bummed about it, but I'm happy to finally have figured out what the problem was.

larry mac Enthusiast

I almost thought I might have an extremely slight problem with Honey Nut Chex. I eat one Chex variety or another every morning. But, like tb, I thought a couple times the HNC just didn't sit well with me. But, I tried them again this morning (with blueberries) and did just fine.

The thing I like about HNC, is they stay crispier longer in milk than the Corn Chex and Rice Chex.

best regards, lm

OliveBranch Apprentice

Thank you for the responses! It's interesting to hear that some people have had similar responses to the Chex... my own detective work is still very much underway, and I haven't figured out if the Chex were really my problem or if it was one of a couple other possible hidden sources of gluten.... even with the very best intentions and very strong will power, going gluten-free is tricky!

~Emily

PS I also should have mentioned before that I have been using Almond Milk (which is great stuff!), so dairy was not my issue with the cereal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Different people, different levels of sensitivity. There is probably cross contamination in each of them. Remember gluten free labeling only reguires less than 20ppm of gluten...it doesn't surprise me that some of you are reacting.

My mom told me today, dad loves Honey Nut Chex and that he doesn't like Cinnamon Chex. He isn't real careful about what he eats though. He probably isn't a very sensitive type. I know they would make me sick, so I will not touch them. He wouldn't try the Choc Chex, he doesn't like chocolate. He and my youngest grandson eat Chex as snacks. The little guy toddles over to the dish, and takes it to great grandpa, backs up to him to be picked up. :D Then they share...when Trevor is done, grandpa is done, because Trevor puts the lid on the bowl. :P By the way, Trevor is my avatar.

cbear6301 Explorer

This is fascinating...I have been getting sick all week and cannot figure it out...the one thing I have in common though is that I have ate honey nut chex all week....this morning I didn't have any....and feel pretty darn good...darn.. I was really excited that I had cereal back in the morning.... :(

bklynceliac Apprentice
I was really excited that I had cereal back in the morning.... :(

I can promise you without a doubt that Rice Chex, Corn Chex, and Honey Kix are all gluten-free. I eat them everyday without incident.

Mountaineer Josh Apprentice

I'm eating all of the Chex flavors without any problems. I love them all. I eat them for breakfast and they are great for a snack too.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

The last of the cinnamon chex was eaten today. I'll eat just the Honey nut for the next two days to see if I get worn out. Then I'll try eating just the Rice Chex. I usually mix a box of each together because I'm not a fan of sweetened cereal.

I always have some protein with my cereal so I'll try to keep on the same routine over the next week.

ohsotired Enthusiast

I've had issues too.

The Honey Nut Chex were ok at first. Then after a while I started noticing low grade stomach discomfort and a slight difference in uhm....bathroom activity. Didn't even think about it being the chex.

Cinnamon Chex are NO good for me; not for breakfast anyway. I get a terrible sugar high/crash from them.

I thought the Chocolate Chex were gross - very powdery and I don't love choking on cereal dust. ;)

Regular Rice Chex with a tiny bit of cinnamon sugar for flavoring seem to be ok still. But they get boring after a while.

Honey Kix seem to be doing the same thing to me as the Honey Nut Chex.

I've decided to lay off all boxed cereal for a while and see what happens. I think I'm developing a sensitivity to corn, which would explain why the Rice Chex are tolerable and the others are not.

Tim-n-VA Contributor

No reaction to any of the gluten-free labeled boxes but the thought of chocolate cereal didn't appeal to me. With the honey-nut and cinamon, I usually mix with rice or corn to cut back on the sweetness.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

I find it interesting that a few of you feel you have issues with the Chex cereals (where General Mills is making an effort to ensure gluten free status), but you don't have problems with Kix (where there is no effort at gluten free). Or did I miss that Kix is now made in a dedicated facility or tested for gluten-free like the Chex??

hannahp57 Contributor

i havent tried honey kix. i eat the post varieties though.. cocoa and fruity pebbles. and i think i may have been cc'd one time but i have bought at least one box every week for like a year now so one out 50-ish isnt too bad. i still buy them. i eat the regular rice chex with no problems but for some reason those honey nut ones were hard on me

Archived