Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Are There Alot Of Keurig K-cups That Are Gluten Free?

• Please log in to reply

26 replies to this topic

#1 tiredofbeingsickandtired

tiredofbeingsickandtired

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

I've been asked what I want for a gift and it was suggested that I would enjoy a Keurig. I've never been brave enough to try it when I see them out in public... because I don't know what is gluten free. Are there alot of gluten free k-cups...coffees and teas? Is it worth it?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seashele2

seashele2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

I just sent them a message on their website asking about gluten content because I was thinking of getting my husband a brewer for Christmas and I might want to sneak something in there for me once in a while. Maybe if enough people ask about availability of gluten-free products, it will influence their offerings.

If I don't hear back positively, I will get a pot that uses regular coffee pods and buy the machine to make your own pods so I know exactly what's in them.

Michelle
Western Washington tate

#3 cbear6301

cbear6301

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

We have a keurig and LOVE it!!! There is a cup you can purchase and use your own coffee.

Enjoy!!
Went gluten-free 4-1-09 after years of being sick suggested by a fluke visit to a new chiropractor
I had been sick since I was little but no one ever knew why.
IBS
Migraines
Vertigo
Miscarriages and lost my third child to stillbirth
Liver and Spleen problems
Lactose Intolerance
Anxiety
hair loss
Hypoglycemia
Foggy Brain
Joint pain-diagnosed with Fibromylagia

#4 ohsotired

ohsotired

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:10 AM

I have a Keurig, and I've not been glutened by any of the K-cups. But then, I rarely drink anything other than really dark roasts - no flavored coffees, no tea, no hot chocolate.

If you also get the "My K-Cup" you can put your own coffee grounds in it and run it through the machine. Like cbear said, that way you know exactly what you're getting.
Dx Celiac 08/22/08
Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

#5 tiredofbeingsickandtired

tiredofbeingsickandtired

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

OK, I really want one now. At the bank they had one and I had a blazin headache, so I googled green mountain coffee. I found out (unley're fibbin, that all the flavors are gluten free...and had my FIRST cup of coffee in 6 months. I didn't use creamer because I didn't know if it was dairy and gluten free...no label. But even black with some sugar, it was wonderful, fabulous, superDEEduper!

#6 Puddy

Puddy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

I use the Green Mountain brand flavored K-cups at work and have had no problems. I e-mailed them a couple months ago and they replied that all their flavors are gluten free. Enjoy!
Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

#7 jrc121

jrc121

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

I buy Dunkin Donuts coffee and use my keurig to make it. My favorite coffee drink.

#8 ady99

ady99

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

Interesting discussion but sorry I am a little late in the game. THought you'd be interested in knowing, from keurig's own website (http://www.keurig-k-cups.com/):

Keurig is a subsidiary of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc, but has forged partnerships with a number of well-known and gourmet coffee roasters, tea makers and other beverage makers and created K-Cup versions of their products, including Diedrich Coffee, Gloria Jean’s, Van Houtte, Twinings, Tullys, Emeril’s and Bellacinao. All of the coffees offered are gluten and gluten by-product free, and many of these companies also provide fair-trade and organic varieties of their beverages. Van Houtte, Timothy’s, and Emeril’s are among the dozens included in the list.

#9 cassanova

cassanova

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:16 AM

I don't know what relationship www.keurig-k-cups.com has to Keurig, but that is definitely not the official site. Keurig (www.keurig.com) does answer a gluten question on their FAQ page concerning coffee but does not mention tea at all:

Do any of your K-Cups contain gluten?
Answer
All of the coffees offered in K-Cups are gluten and gluten byproduct-free. The Café Escapes French Vanilla Café-au-Lait Café Escapes contains small amounts of wheat.

For additional nutritional information on a particular K-Cup, we suggest you contact the Roaster directly.

You can get to this page via this link:
http://www.keurig.co...C-0EF8381DAB33}

Does anybody know if it is safe for a celiac to use a Keurig that might run gluten-containing k-cups as well? It seems to me that the possibility for cross-contamination is definitely there...

#10 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

OK, I really want one now. At the bank they had one and I had a blazin headache, so I googled green mountain coffee. I found out (unley're fibbin, that all the flavors are gluten free...and had my FIRST cup of coffee in 6 months. I didn't use creamer because I didn't know if it was dairy and gluten free...no label. But even black with some sugar, it was wonderful, fabulous, superDEEduper!

I have found on all of the Nestle Coffee Mate non-dairy creamer, the specific phrase gluten free. (I am not informed about dairy so I dont' know if that would be safe or not.)

#11 VitaminDGirl

VitaminDGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

Does anybody know if it is safe for a celiac to use a Keurig that might run gluten-containing k-cups as well? It seems to me that the possibility for cross-contamination is definitely there...

Hmmm... I have one and had not considered that the tea I make my husband may cross-contaminate me.
The way the machine works, it makes a hole in the k-cup before sending water through it. i guess there is a slight possibility a grain of tea or coffee could be left on the spike? I need to look closer. I do know that some coffee grains escape to the bottom of the area where I place my k-cup....
I considered this an easy to clean machine and no-worries when gluten-free, but now I must look into further. :(
I'm only going into day 6 gluten-free and it's hard to think I might could get cross-contaminated by one more thing! :unsure:

#12 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

I've had a Keurig machine since last winter and I love it! I know for sure that VanHoutte French Vanilla is gluten-free, that's my favorite and I have it everyday. I emailed the company to ask. If you are unsure you can always email/call the companies that make the coffees. I have done that a few times and they've always sent a reply (and 99% have said they are gluten-free)
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

#13 cassanova

cassanova

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

I don't think that the website the last poster cited was the correct site. I looked on www.keurig.com which I believe is their official site. In the customer service FAQ's they provide the following response for coffee. There is no information regarding the tea k-cups. I will probably write the company about this and if I get an answer I will post it here as well.

Question

Answer
All of the coffees offered in K-Cups are gluten and gluten byproduct-free. The Café Escapes French Vanilla Café-au-Lait Café Escapes contains small amounts of wheat.

For additional nutritional information on a particular K-Cup, we suggest you contact the Roaster directly.

For reference the URL I got this info from is: http://www.keurig.co...C-0EF8381DAB33}

#14 VitaminDGirl

VitaminDGirl

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

I've had a Keurig machine since last winter and I love it! I know for sure that VanHoutte French Vanilla is gluten-free, that's my favorite and I have it everyday. I emailed the company to ask. If you are unsure you can always email/call the companies that make the coffees. I have done that a few times and they've always sent a reply (and 99% have said they are gluten-free)

yeah, and I'm gussing my dh's tea is probably gluten-free, but I should check to be certain.

#15 Kim27

Kim27

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:19 AM

I don't think that the website the last poster cited was the correct site. I looked on www.keurig.com which I believe is their official site. In the customer service FAQ's they provide the following response for coffee. There is no information regarding the tea k-cups. I will probably write the company about this and if I get an answer I will post it here as well.

Question

Answer

For reference the URL I got this info from is: http://www.keurig.co...C-0EF8381DAB33}

So does this mean that it's unnecessary to check with the individual roasters? Every single KCUP made is gluten-free???(with the exception of the one listed)

If you keep reading down it does mention the tea cups under the "allergens" post underneath the gluten one.
Thanks!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Kim

Newly diagnosed Celiac trying to learn the ropes

Very Positive tTG 3/10
Positive EGD/Biopsy 4/10

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: