This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Are There Alot Of Keurig K-cups That Are Gluten Free?

tiredofbeingsickandtired

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

I've been asked what I want for a gift and it was suggested that I would enjoy a Keurig. I've never been brave enough to try it when I see them out in public... because I don't know what is gluten free. Are there alot of gluten free k-cups...coffees and teas? Is it worth it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seashele2 Newbie

I just sent them a message on their website asking about gluten content because I was thinking of getting my husband a brewer for Christmas and I might want to sneak something in there for me once in a while. Maybe if enough people ask about availability of gluten-free products, it will influence their offerings.

If I don't hear back positively, I will get a pot that uses regular coffee pods and buy the machine to make your own pods so I know exactly what's in them.

Michelle

Western Washington tate

cbear6301 Explorer

We have a keurig and LOVE it!!! There is a cup you can purchase and use your own coffee.

Enjoy!!

ohsotired Enthusiast

I have a Keurig, and I've not been glutened by any of the K-cups. But then, I rarely drink anything other than really dark roasts - no flavored coffees, no tea, no hot chocolate.

If you also get the "My K-Cup" you can put your own coffee grounds in it and run it through the machine. Like cbear said, that way you know exactly what you're getting.

tiredofbeingsickandtired Apprentice

OK, I really want one now. At the bank they had one and I had a blazin headache, so I googled green mountain coffee. I found out (unley're fibbin, that all the flavors are gluten free...and had my FIRST cup of coffee in 6 months. I didn't use creamer because I didn't know if it was dairy and gluten free...no label. But even black with some sugar, it was wonderful, fabulous, superDEEduper!

Puddy Explorer

I use the Green Mountain brand flavored K-cups at work and have had no problems. I e-mailed them a couple months ago and they replied that all their flavors are gluten free. Enjoy!

jrc121 Newbie

I buy Dunkin Donuts coffee and use my keurig to make it. My favorite coffee drink.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
ady99 Newbie

Interesting discussion but sorry I am a little late in the game. THought you'd be interested in knowing, from keurig's own website (http://www.keurig-k-cups.com/):

Keurig is a subsidiary of Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Inc, but has forged partnerships with a number of well-known and gourmet coffee roasters, tea makers and other beverage makers and created K-Cup versions of their products, including Diedrich Coffee, Gloria Jean

• 4 weeks later...
cassanova Newbie

I don't know what relationship www.keurig-k-cups.com has to Keurig, but that is definitely not the official site. Keurig (www.keurig.com) does answer a gluten question on their FAQ page concerning coffee but does not mention tea at all:

Do any of your K-Cups contain gluten?

Answer

All of the coffees offered in K-Cups are gluten and gluten byproduct-free. The Caf

MelindaLee Contributor

OK, I really want one now. At the bank they had one and I had a blazin headache, so I googled green mountain coffee. I found out (unley're fibbin, that all the flavors are gluten free...and had my FIRST cup of coffee in 6 months. I didn't use creamer because I didn't know if it was dairy and gluten free...no label. But even black with some sugar, it was wonderful, fabulous, superDEEduper!

I have found on all of the Nestle Coffee Mate non-dairy creamer, the specific phrase gluten free. (I am not informed about dairy so I dont' know if that would be safe or not.)

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

Does anybody know if it is safe for a celiac to use a Keurig that might run gluten-containing k-cups as well? It seems to me that the possibility for cross-contamination is definitely there...

Hmmm... I have one and had not considered that the tea I make my husband may cross-contaminate me.

The way the machine works, it makes a hole in the k-cup before sending water through it. i guess there is a slight possibility a grain of tea or coffee could be left on the spike? I need to look closer. I do know that some coffee grains escape to the bottom of the area where I place my k-cup....

I considered this an easy to clean machine and no-worries when gluten-free, but now I must look into further. :(

I'm only going into day 6 gluten-free and it's hard to think I might could get cross-contaminated by one more thing! :unsure:

Kim27 Contributor

I've had a Keurig machine since last winter and I love it! I know for sure that VanHoutte French Vanilla is gluten-free, that's my favorite and I have it everyday. I emailed the company to ask. If you are unsure you can always email/call the companies that make the coffees. I have done that a few times and they've always sent a reply (and 99% have said they are gluten-free)

cassanova Newbie

I don't think that the website the last poster cited was the correct site. I looked on www.keurig.com which I believe is their official site. In the customer service FAQ's they provide the following response for coffee. There is no information regarding the tea k-cups. I will probably write the company about this and if I get an answer I will post it here as well.

Question

Answer

All of the coffees offered in K-Cups are gluten and gluten byproduct-free. The Caf

VitaminDGirl Apprentice

I've had a Keurig machine since last winter and I love it! I know for sure that VanHoutte French Vanilla is gluten-free, that's my favorite and I have it everyday. I emailed the company to ask. If you are unsure you can always email/call the companies that make the coffees. I have done that a few times and they've always sent a reply (and 99% have said they are gluten-free)

yeah, and I'm gussing my dh's tea is probably gluten-free, but I should check to be certain.

Kim27 Contributor

I don't think that the website the last poster cited was the correct site. I looked on www.keurig.com which I believe is their official site. In the customer service FAQ's they provide the following response for coffee. There is no information regarding the tea k-cups. I will probably write the company about this and if I get an answer I will post it here as well.

Question

Answer

cap6 Enthusiast

I won't let my son run a hot chocolate through my machine for fear of cc. Just would rather be safe!

• 2 weeks later...
galendj Newbie

I won't let my son run a hot chocolate through my machine for fear of cc. Just would rather be safe!

I think you have the right idea. If you look at the ingredients listed for the green mountain hot cocoa k cups, maltodextrin is listed, which is a big gluten no-no for those of us who can't have gluten. But the website also listed their hot cocoa as gluten free! We have to be very careful and read ALL the ingredients. The vanilla chai has modified food starch as an ingredient, which is also a no-no unless it specifically says from corn or another vegetable. It pays to be aware of what companies think is and isn't gluten free. Just because it says there is no wheat doesn't mean it is gluten free!

jerseyangel Proficient

I think you have the right idea. If you look at the ingredients listed for the green mountain hot cocoa k cups, maltodextrin is listed, which is a big gluten no-no for those of us who can't have gluten. But the website also listed their hot cocoa as gluten free! We have to be very careful and read ALL the ingredients. The vanilla chai has modified food starch as an ingredient, which is also a no-no unless it specifically says from corn or another vegetable. It pays to be aware of what companies think is and isn't gluten free. Just because it says there is no wheat doesn't mean it is gluten free!

Maltodextrin and modified food starch would need to be labeled with (wheat) if they were derived from a wheat source by law in the US.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Maltodextrin is not the same as malt. It is a highly processed starch. In the US, it is derived from potato or corn. If it was derived from wheat, it would have to be called out per labeling laws. Google "maltodextrin gluten free" and loads of info will come up.

Likewise, modified food starch is also gluten free unless it is derived from wheat and would then have to be called out as such.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Maltodextrin and modified food starch would need to be labeled with (wheat) if they were derived from a wheat source by law in the US.

Dang!!! Looks like Patti's cat-like reflexes beat me to the punch. :P

jerseyangel Proficient

Dang!!! Looks like Patti's cat-like reflexes beat me to the punch. :P

:D Actually, we posted at the exact same moment. Great minds....

galendj Newbie

:D Actually, we posted at the exact same moment. Great minds....

Then why does it make me sick?

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi galendj,

There are several possible reasons--if you've been gluten-free for a short time, it can take a bit longer for your symptoms to settle down. Something like coffee may be irritating your healing intestine. Also, even though a food itself may be perfectly gluten-free, there is always the possibility of cross contamination somewhere along the line.

Some people develop or discover other sensitivities after going gluten-free. It's not uncommon for those of us with gluten issues.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Not knowing all the details . . . how long you've been gluten free, what items are making you sick . . .

First, you do need to make sure the product is gluten free. Evaluate the possibility that it may be cc'd during the manufacturing process.

That being said, as you are healing, some products may be particualary iritating to your system, and quite frankly, it could be just about anything. My daughter can't handle blue food dye when she's been glutened. After enough time has passed, she can handle it fine (although I'm always leary and don't let her go wild with it. You only have to clean blue-yogurt-vomit out of your carpet once to make you a bit gun-shy). If you find that some product in particular is troublesome, remove it from your diet. You can try it again a few weeks or months later and determine if it still bothers you.

kareng Grand Master

Not knowing all the details . . . how long you've been gluten free, what items are making you sick . . .

First, you do need to make sure the product is gluten free. Evaluate the possibility that it may be cc'd during the manufacturing process.

That being said, as you are healing, some products may be particualary iritating to your system, and quite frankly, it could be just about anything. My daughter can't handle blue food dye when she's been glutened. After enough time has passed, she can handle it fine (although I'm always leary and don't let her go wild with it. You only have to clean blue-yogurt-vomit out of your carpet once to make you a bit gun-shy). If you find that some product in particular is troublesome, remove it from your diet. You can try it again a few weeks or months later and determine if it still bothers you.

I had that with fresh lettuces and popcorn. After 3 months, I did better with a small amount and now have no problems. Except popcorn... I can't stop eating it! :)

Archived