21 replies to this topic

#16 cap6

cap6

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Does anyone worry about CC when taking the wine?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,243 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

Does anyone worry about CC when taking the wine?

Yes. I watch which cup the priest put the piece of host on so I don't take that one. I then only take the wine if I can be close to the front of the line. Then I only get the smallest drop possible. I have heard that some Celiacs have their own cups that are handed directly to them but I'm not sure of the logistics.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#18 Rachel W

Rachel W

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:45 AM

I started off taking the wafer and the juice(baptist ya'll ! ;) ) ..Because i wasnt really sure how i felt not being able to take the bread of the body.. But after I prayed about i realized, God allowed me to be a Celiac, right? Then do u honestly think he cares if I dont take the bread, that will make me sick for the rest of the day and the NEXT ! Think of all the people in nursing homes with feeding tubes etc, that cannot partake, God loves us all no matter what.. Its not like we are refusing to take part of communion , we are just taking care of the body HE GAVE US !!!
I usually take the bread, and pass it off to my husband to eat :) then pray over the wine ;) Religion is much more than worrying about being able to eat the bread, it is about realizing how much God loves us, enough to sacrifice His Son, in order that WE may live, And to try and live the life He would want us to.. ...PLUS one day we will be able to take communion with HIM, and eat alllll the wheat with out worry :lol:

#19 zero

zero

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

Sharpy,

I am catholic and I have chosen to not take communion. I came to that decision after taking communion after 2 weeks of being gluten free and was surprised to have a reaction. I never liked the idea of doing the shared wine cup and didn't like the idea of approaching the priest about low gluten hosts. That was two and a half years ago. I am comfortable with that decision but if I were a better catholic I probably wouldn't be. But what I also noticed is that I have felt a loss in the sense of community through the shared experience of taking communion. That may be what your girlfriend is going through. The suggestion of talking to the priest is a good one. As others have mentioned, taking the wine or a low gluten (but not a no gluten) host is equivalent to the regular host. And maybe there are other ministries within the church which she could participate in so as not to feel separated. If the church has it, maybe as a eucharistic minister which handles the wine. Good luck.
Diagnosed Celiac May 2008

#20 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

I don't know if your denomination has any particular rules about this, but my church was very accepting of me when I became gluten-free. They allowed me to bring rice cakes the first couple of times, and then afterwards, the church has always had rice cakes for me and the other celiacs. So I would ask the pastor/priest and find out if they can help.

#21 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm so glad I read this. I am a member of the LDS church, or if you don't know that that means, I'm Mormon. I was still pretty doped up last week from my surgery so I didn't go to church. (I don't think God minds if I don't show up high.) Anyway, this will be my first Sunday back and it had never occurred to me that with sacrament every week this will be a concern for me. I'll probably make an appointment to talk with my bishop and see if I can be accommodated. (Which in our churches will almost certainly mean everyone goes gluten-free since the bread is passed on a tray.)

I have no fear that God prefers me happy and healthy and knows my heart even if I can't eat bread. I understand how important and meaningful it is to take part, I simply can not believe that a loving God would hold a piece of bread against anyone.

Oh, and thanks so much for bringing this up! Reading this now and having time to ponder and pray before Sunday will save me from spending an hour crying and being looked at sideways.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#22 navigator

navigator

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

I am Roman Catholic and all I, and other coeliac members,have to do is go to the priest before mass starts and let him know that we are there and wish to receive communion. He then consecrates that number of gluten free hosts and we go up first. I don't take wine as a piece of the 'regular' host is placed in it and people go for wine immediately after receiving the host and it's still in their mouths.
It's not peculiar to my local church. I have been at other churches in Scotland and I just go and introduce myself to the priest and explain that I have coeliac disease. It has never been an issue. The only difference I've found is that some priests ask me to go first and some ask me to go at the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: