Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Leaky Gut Diet

29 posts in this topic

One month after eliminating all grains, dairy, legumes, nuts, nightshades, eggs, bananas and citrus - I feel very good. Have begun challenging removed foods - one at a time every three days. The score thus far is 2-2 = wins are eggs (never thought I'd do a happy dance for an egg) and pineapple (ribs marinating as I type) - losses are red bell pepper (within 30 minutes every joint in my body was in PAIN - even fingers and toes) and avocado (very severe bloating - losing avos was a bummer).

Ads by Google:

Lisa,

When you did this elimination diet, did you follow a specific plan (ie, a book or website?) or did you just go based off of your reactions to foods? I've been looking into leaky gut and an elimination diet, but am a little lost on where to turn exactly.

Thanks!

Hi, my name is Pam and I've seen a couple holistic nutritionists and have been diagnosed with leaky gut and years of untreated candida. I have chronic fatigue, ibs, joint pain, brain fog, memory loss, muscle spasms, you name it. I'm allergic to wheat, dairy, soy, corn and most nuts. By default I am on the paleo diet. I've been reading a lot about the GAPS (gut and psychology syndrome) and it looks promising if you're willing to be diligent in changing your habits for a year. For more info: www.gaps.me

I also believe in addition to diet changes, stress needs to minimized. Yoga is a great start to a healthy mind and body :)

I just saw Sweetfudge's post when Pam.Jung bumped this thread back.

My elimination diet was a combination of many as the information I found on these diets was conflicting in many cases. Generally it was a combination of elimination diets for autoimmune disease, possible allergens and lectin intolerance.

Generally I eliminated all possible food allergen/intolerance = Grains, Dairy, Nuts, Seeds, Legumes, Nightshades, Banana, Strawberry and Citrus (the fruits were removed only because I had minor issues with them over the past years).

I started with three days detox - green smoothies only. Then added only meat, vegies and fruit with the exception of nightshade vegies and the fruits mentioned above.

After three weeks I trialed each removed food separately, logged reactions, then removed the food again so that trialing of each food was done on an equal playing field. One exception -- I kept eggs to add a protein source to my diet and there was confusion among the info I found about whether they needed to be challenged at all.

It took six months with the exception of three weeks off where I did not trial foods and added in the few items I had gained so far (not many).

The results were fantastic -- the reactions to each whole food were very clear and varied greatly (even within each food group) -- it is no wonder docs could not figure out all my symptoms as many foods were causing many different reactions.

Sorry for the late response!