19 replies to this topic

#16 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

It started as such a beautiful September day. The skies were so intensely blue with bright sunshine and warm temps. Perfect. My new puppy was about 9-weeks old. She was lying on the floor sleeping and I was on my computer. And then the phone rang. It was my daughter-in-law calling me from work, which was unusual. She asked me if I had the TV on. Well, no, my TV is rarely ever on during the day. I quickly turned it on to CNN in time to see the second plane hit the World Trade Center. She asked me where Cindy was (my daughter, her sister-in-law). Working. Flight attendant. United Airlines. Based in Boston. I felt a paralyzing fear come over me.

I sent an email to my son-in-law at work. No response. I later found out he was so upset that he couldn't work and went home. He called me a few hours later...it seemed like an eternity. What a relief, she was safe! My daughter actually flew out on Mon., Sept. 10, and ended up in Orange County, CA. He had just talked with her and she was still asleep when our world turned upside down. It was wonderful when I also heard her voice again. I was really, really scared. She had a late check-in on 9/11. A check-in that never happened that day or the next or the next...I think it was the weekend before any air travel resumed. She volunteered to work the flight back home. She took two or three weeks off and then went back to work. Pretty traumatic. And lots of time to think.

Since air travel came to such a screeching halt, airlines were offering generous voluntary leave. She knew she had to do something else with her life. She went back to college and got her degree in 2004 as an art major. They lived in Portland, Maine, at the time and decided to move back to Denver where they had lived for ten years prior to her transferring to Boston in 2000. When United called her back to work (I think in 2005), she quit. She is now in her third year of grad school at UCD (class of 2012).

Yes, I also know what you mean about planes. I lived in a small town practically on the MD/PA border. Fighter jets from the NJ National Guard patrolled our skies. We were either in or very near Camp David air space. Oh, how I hated weekends. We always knew when President Bush was at Camp David and he seemed to come so often. Those fighter jets started on Friday nights and didn't let up until late Sunday night or until he returned to Washington. One Sat. it was so loud I rushed outdoors to see what was going on. A fighter jet was so low that people could reportedly see the pilot in the cockpit. Unnerving.

I don't know how much TV I will be able to watch tomorrow. It brings back a flood of memories of how our world has changed forever. I get bleary-eyed just thinking about it.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

It's probably just me, but I will be so glad when this anniversary has passed. I don't WANT to relive that day. I won't even be turning the radio on tomorrow.

I don't want to relive it either. I doubt that any of us do. But I do feel that remembering is appropriate.

Here in Canada, and in much of the former British Empire, we commemorate the the end of the First World War on November 11 each year. We remember those who died in that war and other armed conflicts since. We are not reliving the wars, but are showing respect for those who are not able to be with us to remember.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:28 PM

I was abroad, and had only been in Japan for a few weeks, so I was not only in a completely different time zone, but I understood very little of the language and thus news coverage. I do remember waking up for a toilet trip in the night and noticing that my host family had to TV on rather late, but I didn't go in to see why.

Found on why the next day, but the enormity of it really didn't sink in until I returned to the US the following summer. The security differences and inspections were much more intrusive, especially for a jet-lagged teenager who was only half thinking in English and having to explain souvenirs/gifts that she only knew Japanese words for. (Very weird, now, looking back at the photos of family and friends seeing me off the airport gate.) I didn't understand why people kept thinking that I should not go to NYC for college. Even then, I think I still don't quite comprehend what exactly was going through the American psyche just because I was not here, and I am only now hearing much of the footage being played in memorium. It's been a complex play of emotions as NPR has recapped stories and interviews this week.

Despite living in NYC for four years, and regular visitor ever since, I've never been to ground zero. Not quite sure why, but somehow I've avoided it.

Going to war in Iraq was quite horrifying, especially given the year I had just spent in a country that had been bombed beyond recognition in places, and the number of high school classmates that were in the armed forces.

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#19 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:34 AM

We had dinner out last evening with friends, one of whom is a firefighter. He knew one of the emergency response workers who perished at the site. I asked him about the huge ceremony that occurred yesterday at the firefighters memorial here in downtown Ottawa, and about the activities that will go on all day today. He spoke about it all, but quietly, with a tired, sad look in his eyes. Then he finally said, "I don't want to do this, every September 11th, anymore.... .. ... .just too much".....
So interesting to hear the feelings of him.
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

#20 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

I was a contractor working at the Washington Navy Yard that day in Dc. The first I knew anything was going on was when the Navy LT commander in our office asked me if I could find a piece of wire to make an antenna for one of the conference room room training tv's. Those TV aren't used for anything but playing training tapes normally so aren't set up to recieve broadcasts. He had heard something about it and wanted to see the new reports. We rolled a TV out of the conference room to the main office area. I got a piece of wire and we jammed it in the broken off antenna mast and got a signal going. And saw the towers burning.

Not long after that one of the techs on my team called from the Navy Annex near the Pentagon. He was very excited and shook-up. The Navy Annex sits on a hill. He told me was just getting there and walking through the parking lot when he heard a loud noise. He looked up and a jet flew right over his head not far above the roof of the Navy Annex building and straight into the Pentagon. He wasn't sure what to do so I told him to go home.

The Gov sent all the workers home not long after that, although they mostly just sat in their cars gridlocked trying to get out of DC. I stayed at work as we started trying to sort out what needed to be done to get the networks working again. My company was managing and maintaining the computer networks for most of the Navy offices around Dc at the time, including the Pentagon and other large office buildings. The phones became jammed not long after this and we couldn't reach our people in the Pentagon to confirm they were ok. We could see the smoke rising from across the river behind the 14th street bridge though.

It was several days before we confirmed status on all the Pentagon team. One pregnant woman had gone home but not notified anyone, but she was safe. One man was burned on both arms but he recovered in time. Everyone else on our teams got out ok.

The next month and a half we worked double and triple shifts straight through weekends. We moved some high level officers from the Pentagon to the Navy Annex and set up a new network for them there.

The section of the Pentagon that was destroyed was the first section that was renovated and had just recently been completed. The whole building smelled like smoke for many months after the attack and you could still see soot on the ceilings in the hallways.

What surprises me most about the 9/11 attacks is how few people were killed compared to what could have happened. There were reports that 40 to 50 thousand people worked in the twin towers routinely, but only a fraction of them were there during the attack. It could have been so much worse. I thank God it wasn't worse.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: