This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

List Of Celiac Friendly Colleges

maximoo

maximoo Enthusiast

Does anyone here (or is a parent of a student) attend or is planning to attend a college in the US that accommodates the gluten-free lifestyle? I think it would be great if we all list that college here for future students to consider as part of the college search. A list like this will serve our community for years to come. And as more colleges get with the program, it can be added to the list at any time.

I am just beginning the college search so I can only start with one.

1) University of New Hampshire

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Jules Shepard had a link to this list on her FB page: Open Original Shared Link.

kareng Grand Master

Colorado State. Probably the other Colorado ones, too. gluten-free is well recognized in Colorado.

They have gluten-free food at every meal. Anyone can have it. My son says the gluten-free stuff is better because they are really careful with it. No gravy spoon grabbed to scoop up green beans, etc. they have a gluten-free chocolate cake that everyone loves. He isn't gluten-free so I don't know the full story on it but it would be worth looking into. They also have a nice kitchen in his dorm for students. Bring your own pans for Celiac.

allergyprone Contributor

I am a freshman in college so I recently was looking at schools. I would recomend finding the schools that you are interested in for their major, size, location, etc. before worring too much about them accomidating celiacs, especially if you have a dr dignosis. When you go on college visits make sure to try out their gluten free options and scout out how the cafeteria is set up, also look into what the menu is for the whole year to make sure they don't only make 3 dishes. Also a good place to start is with disability services because the sooner you get them on your side the better accomidations they can do for you. Keep an open mind about accomidations too, I attend Eastern Kentucky University, instead of having me live in a dorm they put me into an efficancy appartment and didn't require me to get a meal plan. When I was looking at universities I checked out concordia university wisconsin and found out they offered a gluten free option but it was a buffet style where students could move the spoons, I tried it and got sick. some that I found were pretty good with gluten-free accomidations (from college visits) are, michigan state, eku (where I go), and smith college (all girls school), I have also heard that Western Illinois university is pretty good with it but i don't know for sure.

I wish you luck

AP

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Northeastern in Boston was really good at accomdating my DD a few years ago. You have to live on campus the first year so they let us opt out of the meal plan and put her in houseing where she lived in a dorm in a single room with a small kitchette.

kareng Grand Master

A bunch of links to stuff about gluten-free college. I haven't read them so not sure how helpful they will be.

Open Original Shared Link

maximoo Enthusiast

Glanced at a few of the articles, they seem good. Thx for finding that link! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

Any college that isn't willing to help make sure your experience is a good one, isn't worth going to. I went to 2 different ones and worked at 3 more that all went above and beyond to help me with my meals. Most places should be willing to help!

maximoo Enthusiast

@mididdly what schools did u go to/work at?

modiddly16 Enthusiast

I'll send you a message. I'd rather not make my background history public :)

• 3 weeks later...
ryebaby0 Enthusiast

My son is about to attend Penn State, which (for a huge school) is doing pretty well accomodating celiac students but isn't as impressive as Ithaca College. IC has a dedicated kitchenette at the cafeteria which will prepare whatever you want; also has a gluten-free section in the convenience store and a gluten-free student advisory committee. PSU has interns that will code a month of menus and email it to you --- but most of the food isn't safe or gluten-free. They do have a list of stuff to choose from just for gluten-free students, though, and the individual dining hall managers are very accomodating. We also looked at Syracuse, which is trying but I wasn't impressed. I hear Boston College and Michigan (University of , not M State) are highly regarded.

There's a thread here about this, and how to ask questions -- try searching for it?Pity Party/ College Search Time to sit on the whiny couch --it's in the parents/children forum but had a lot of convo about the issues. (I started it when I was highly irritated with the schools we were looking at. I have since calmed down!!)

maximoo Enthusiast

Penn state has many campuses--are they all good for celiacs? Which 1 is ur DS going to?

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

^ good point ...son is going to University Park , aka main campus. I don't know what the other campuses are up to.

• 1 month later...
desperateforhealth Apprentice

University of Florida has a gluten-free counter. That's where I am going next year, although I'll be in an apartment preparing my own food. I know that Mississippi State does as well.

maximoo Enthusiast

that's another on the list

birdie22 Enthusiast

State University of NY at Geneseo (in Rochester, NY). Menus for all dining halls are posted online and gluten-free items are indicated with a gluten-free both on the menu and on the items at the dining halls. All dining halls have gluten-free bread, gluten-free pasta, gluten-free sushi (made authentic by sushi chefs and prepared in a separate space with gluten-free tamari, etc), and offers a wide range of prepackaged gluten-free items (brownies, cookies, crackers, Food Should Taste Good chips, etc). The staff is well trained and will change gloves, use a separate prep area and at the sandwich station even uses separate meat, toppings, etc to avoid CC. They even have a separate microwave with a giant gluten-free on it and a sign asking that it only be used for gluten-free items.

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Open Original Shared Link

Really impressive work on the part of PSU to step up it's gluten free programs

kareng Grand Master

Can't add to my previous post this late but more news on Colorado State.

My son was in line to get a Subway style sandwich in the dorm cafeteria. He got his but before he left, the girl behind him asked for gluten-free. He stayed to watch and chat up the girl. ;) The counter staff changed gloves, pulled out a big purple tub. Took out of the tub a special cutting mat type thing that they laid down. Then fresh sandwich wrapping paper on it. Special bread from the bucket & fresh meats, cheeses, etc from separate bins. The girl told him they are always careful with her food & she hasn't had an issue. She also said how nice it was to meet a boy who understands Celiac. ;)

Adalaide Mentor

My daughter is planning on attending MIT. You can opt for a dorm there that doesn't have a dining hall (the only way not to be forced into paying for prepared meals) and simply prepare all of your own meals in the kitchen. There is of course a chance of CC sharing a kitchen like that but at least you know how your food was prepared.

mommida Enthusiast

Michigan State has done a great job taking care of my friend's son with actual allergies. :D

I will let you know about my son's experience this summer for gluten free. Just in case a found some AWESOME gluten free pizza at Guido's Pizza! (just in case) :) I asked some students about the food. I found a friend of a Celiac student. (not bad for under 2 hours time B) ) She does have a lot of her own food, but does eat in the cafeteria.

maximoo Enthusiast

wow PSU is really stepping up! I will seriously consider this school for my son. And as a bonus my sister is 45 mts away so he will have a support system nearby.

THis is a great thread. Keep the info coming!

babyblue140 Newbie

I attend Texas A&M University and gluten free awareness is becoming more known here. This semester they have implemented a gluten free refrigerator that contains breads and desserts and a toaster is next to it. Both are locked and you have to have the combination to get in. You can also ask for gluten-free pizza to be made. My biggest issue has been trying to order something and the workers not understanding, I just ask for the chef. Chefs are pretty well versed in gluten-free needs.

We also have Gluten Free Aggies that I'm an officer of. We're a brand new organization but its nice to network with other students with your needs.

• 2 weeks later...
kvhsports Newbie

I'm planning on attending Lubbock Christian University in the fall, and they are more than willing to accommodate students that are gluten-free, as well as any other food allergies/ intolerances.

Archived