Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Best Tasting gluten-free Waffles To Buy

18 posts in this topic

I have used Vans gluten-free waffles and have found the taste marginal, anyone have a better tasting product, they've tried, thanks, Doug

Ads by Google:

I've never bought gluten-free waffles as I figure anything I make myself is so much better than any processed gluten-free product. Have you ever thought of making your own? They're really simple.

Thus far I've used gluten-free Bisquick and Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix. Recipes on the box/bag. Unless you go all out for something fancy schmancy, a waffle iron is a pretty inexpensive investment. You could double the recipe and have a nice stash in the freezer. Much cheaper, and I'm sure much better, than anything you could buy.

Edit: I've used both of those mixes for pancakes, too. They also freeze well.

Edited by sa1937

I've never bought gluten-free waffles as I figure anything I make myself is so much better than any processed gluten-free product. Have you ever thought of making your own? They're really simple.

Thus far I've used gluten-free Bisquick and Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix. Recipes on the box/bag. Unless you go all out for something fancy schmancy, a waffle iron is a pretty inexpensive investment. You could double the recipe and have a nice stash in the freezer. Much cheaper, and I'm sure much better, than anything you could buy.

Edit: I've used both of those mixes for pancakes, too. They also freeze well.

I echo Sylvia's sentiments. Making waffles from scratch gluten free is a very simple way to please your palate! :)

When I first went gluten free I went on a gluten free binge which was not a good way to approach things. I ate a lot of processed foods, including waffles that tasted probably a little bit better than toilet paper. And the waffle squares themselves were probably about the same size as a square of tp. Incredibly disappointing.

The Kinnickinnick ones are pretty good to me. :)

I really like nature's path homestyle waffles and the buckwheat ones are good too. I never has any luck making waffles :(

I like the Van's, but prefer the blueberry and the apple varieties. Try these and put them in the toaster twice. Tastes "normal" to me!

Huh. I like the Van's too.

I like Van's too! I've had the flax and the blueberry varieties and I like them both, as do my kids who are picky and not gluten-free.

I like the Kinnickinick waffles. Not a fan of the Van's either.

Nature's Path Buckwheat Wildberry. SO much better than Van's, in my opinion. For me they have a better consistency and don't fall apart quite so easily.

I can't eat them because they generally have other problem ingredients, but we buy vans and trader joe's waffles for my 3 year old son as a quick breakfast option during the week. Obviously, not the most discriminating palate, but they do get consumed. The 5 year old eats them sometimes too and has no complaints. Yes, you'll get better results making your own, but we still haven't managed to replace our waffle maker, so I can't speak to specifics on that one.

After reading this post yesterday, I went out and bought Van's bluberry ones and they are better than I thought they would be! I only saw bluberry and plain I believe. What other flavors do they have?

I know that they have Apple & Cinnamon (blueberry is slightly better IMO).

For a protein treat, I like a tablespoon of almond butter on them with syrup. Delicious!

I am not normally a fan of Trader Joe's as their gluten free selection is very limited,but I go there just to purchase their gluten free waffles! I have tried various other brands,such as Vans,but none compare. I'd be interested if others feel the same.

I don't know if it's regional maybe because no one has mentioned them, but I just bought a brand called Julian's and my daughter loved them.

However, it would be cheaper (and you could alter the taste to your liking) by making some and freezing them. I wrap them in packs of two with wax paper then put them in gallon freezer bags. I can then add whatever I want, like strawberries or chocolate chips, to them.

Just a quick word of warning to people trying Van's for the first time: their gluten free packaging is similar to the packaging for the regular gluteny waffles, and I've often seen them stocked close together at my grocery store. You just have to make sure you don't grab the wrong box. ;)

I've been able to get Van's flax locally and I really like them.

Nature's Path Wildberry are my favorites!