Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

- - - - -

How Sensitive Are You To Gluten?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: How to you react to gluten? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

How to you react to gluten?

1. Micro-sensitive- Can't even look at it without getting sick. (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

2. Very sensitive- Can't even tolerate distilled grain (as in vodka) (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

3. Moderately sensitive- Gluten clearly makes me sick (10 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

4. Not very sensitive- takes obvious gluten ingestion (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

5. No symptoms (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

19 replies to this topic

#16 drewsant

drewsant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:59 PM

I have only gotten sick when I've obviously eaten gluten, when I tried to eat a hamburger with the bun, I got sick the next day. About a month or 2 later, I ate a burrito that had a flour shell, and got sick next day. I seem to get over it w/in about 4 days if I immediately go back to gluten-free diet, then I'm fine. I don't pay attention to shampoos , soaps, or my dog's food or anything, so I don't think I'm hyper-sensitive to it which is good I guess.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 tammy

tammy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Gee, I'm sorry to hear that any of you have symptoms at all. Both my husband and I are gluten-free! Funny neither of us knew we were gluten sensitive when we met. Anyway, I seem to be okay with distilled vodka and vinegars. But I can not have a single piece of gluten touch my plate otherwise I will have a mild wheeze for many hours and then it changes my stool for at least 5 days! Although the other day I tried a gluten-free soy spray and wheezed! I haven't had a problem with soy before, maybe it was the amino acids in the product?????

DOG BISCUITS: I can relate to the dog biscuit scenario because I had to start using rubber gloves when handling both dog food and dog biscuits. However I never gave myself the opportunity to have a reaction. BTW, there are now wheat-free dog foods and dog biscuits!!!!!!!!!

My husand doesn't seem to have any reaction to alcohol or vinegars. However, he will feel lousy when contaminated through other means.

#18 bmorrow

bmorrow

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

I seem to have become more sensitive since being on the gluten-free diet. I bloat and my stomach starts hurting within 15 minutes after I consume gluten. The severe symptons last for approximately six hours and then I have diarrhea for several days. Most of the time this happens after eating in a restaurant. Sometimes I also have a problem with vodka. I try to drink only rum or wine. :D

#19 Guest_gliX_*

Guest_gliX_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

I have absolutely no symptoms, and had none before going on the diet. I could probably eat an entire pizza and feel fine. But, I still have the disease and have to keep strictly to the diet.

#20 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:19 PM

I have no symptoms and never had. I was only dx (conclusively) less than a week ago. My sister has celiac disease so I got screened, scoped and I have it too. I could eat anything and feel fine, but I am going to do my best to keep to the diet my body demands.
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: