17 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

This is a vent, feel sorry for myself post.
I was diagnosed with GERD, Barretts Esophagus and celiac disease about 6 weeks ago and went gluten and dairy free.
I started to feel better until last week when my Mom passed away after a long battle with cancer. it was so difficult to manage this diet with all of the company from out of town, being stressed, pasta dinners made by well meaning people, etc. I thought I did ok until Tuesday when I went to the diner. I asked the waitress if they had a gluten free menu and she said "you mean some kind of lunch specials?" I should have RAN!! Instead, I went "safe" and ordered an egg salad platter (on lettuce). It had coleslaw, egg salad and potato salad. I thought it was ok. I have been sick since. Woke up Wednesday morning violently ill and spent the whole day in the bathroom. Then I decided since I felt so disgusting anyway, that i'd just eat the orange gel rings (gluten free, but chocolate has lactose). Now it's Friday night and I am a mess. My stomach is crampy and bloated, I am in a fog and totally depressed. Now of course, I can't figure out if this is all stress related to my Mom or if it is a combination of both. Anyone want to share how long their sickness from being glutened lasts? This is my first time.
Anyway, this sucks and I am so mad that I have this stupid disease. It's making my life miserable. To make matters worse, I am going through the death of my Mom and have NO source of comfort. Can't eat, can't smoke (quit 2 months ago) and can't drink alcohol (Barrett's). UGH!!!!!
Thanks for the vent. It's impossible to explain to other people. I feel like they are all sick of hearing me talk about this. I am sick of listening to me.

You know, I am almost having an anxiety attack reading this post! Your Mum has passed away, you cannot drink, you quit smoking AND you have been glutened?!?!? :blink: :blink: If you were here, I'd give ya a BIG hug!
My deepest condolences on your Mother's loss because that must be a shock when it happens. I haven't had that happen yet but everyone goes through it so you are not alone in your grief.

I will make a tiny suggestion ....just a suggestion if things get too rough. I found that Nicorette Fast Melts work really well for calming effect when stressed, for former smokers. You may have gone 2 months but when stress hits like a brick, you can revert to old habits. If you want some relief, try them as they calm a person down quite well. I can't imagine what it must be like for you now except I smoked and I know how hard it can be. Coupled with everything else, it can be overwhelming. Nicorette offers a coupon for them on their website.

Find the time to do some things you enjoy and breathe deep. And remember....venting is good! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 ncallier

ncallier

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

My sympathy on the loss of your Mom. I suspect your were hit by too much mayo (and possibly some CC issue), maybe the dairy and frankly, your whole body is just stressed horribly by your loss. My heart goes out to you.

My Dad's death was the last trigger that put me over the edge into full blown Celiac. Grieving his loss and battling dozens of bizarre and debilitating symptoms for the following 3 years were more than I could stand sometimes. Stress is a major factor in keeping the immune system taxed. No question about it.

You can and will master the gluten-free diet! Do not despair.

Right now, though, you are grieving and it will take some time.
Be good to yourself, hon and try to eat nourishing foods and get some rest. Glutening "fall-out" varies from person to person but the best thing you can do is drink a lot of water and ride it out.

Hope you feel better today.
All good wishes,
IH

I am truly sorry for all of you who have lost a loved one--whether before or after learning of your celiac diagnosis! I know that this is a part of life, but celiac disease surely doesn't make it any easier. I recently lost my grandmother on the heels of being diagnosed with celiac disease. I have a big family that gathered at my mother's home for several days of mourning, etc. We live in a small southern town where friends and church members take lots of food etc. as offerings. My sister and I took care of the kitchen and the food. Although I didn't eat anything that I knew had gluten, I may have been cross contaminated. Also, since I don't know much yet, I wonder whether I was glutened from simply handling the food and the dirty dishes. Any thoughts???

I, too, hope you feel better each and every day!

English lady

#18 scaredblossom

scaredblossom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I am so sorry for your loss!! :( hugs and prayers sent your way!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: