This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Miss The Most?

Slr38

Slr38 Apprentice

Hello Everyone,

I have tested positive on a home Biocard Test and am having a lab test next week. I figure regardless of my blood work results I will be going Gluten Free. Since I have to stay on gluten until all the tests are complete, I might as well treat myself to everything I won't be able to eat after I cut out the gluten.

Is there anything that really doesn't have a comparable gluten free version?

I am just getting a bit nervous I guess.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Phyllo dough as in spanikopitas and such. Get your fill of good flaky pastry. Enjoy a last croissant or two because while there are subs they do not have that buttery deliciousness. Sourdough french bread - chow down on a loaf of that. Those are the things I wish I could still eat :rolleyes:

Roda Rising Star

I still miss crusty bread and nobake cookies(aka novacks) but I'm also severely gluten free oat intolerant.

nvsmom Community Regular

1. Beer. gluten-free beer is ok, but I was a beer snob before and the fact that I can't have a Brewster's stout or two this winter is really disappointing.

2. My grandmother's recipe for sweet dough cinnamon buns. They were absolutely amazing, and it makes me a bit sad I'll never taste her recipe again. I'll miss this the most.

3. Perogies... but I know a good celiac Ukranian who has a gluten-free recipe so I might try it this fall.

4. Convenience. I think I notice this one the most. I can't order a cookie with my coffee, or even some flavoured coffees. Timbits are out. I miss not having to worry about packing gluten-free snacks if I'm running errands with the kids; it was so much easier to order a pizza if running late or buy a burger with fries. Making gluten-free chicken nuggets for my kids is definitely more of a hassle that opening a frozen box up... I'm slowly getting used to not relying on convenience foods but that is the thing, for me, that is the hardest to adjust to.

mushroom Proficient

2. My grandmother's recipe for sweet dough cinnamon buns. They were absolutely amazing, and it makes me a bit sad I'll never taste her recipe again. I'll miss this the most.

You need to do a search on here for J.N. Bunnie's cinnamon buns. I haven't made them yet but they look (and others have said) they are to die for :D

Okay, here ya go:

I did the search for you. :)

nvsmom Community Regular

Aw... thanks Neroli! :D I've printed it off and I'll give it a try. :) That was nice of you to do.

... And Company's Coming Gluten Free Cookbook has a yummy looking recipe and starter for sourdough. I'm afraid I don't have the recipe but the picture made my mouth water.

Lisa Mentor

I really miss Angle Food Cake and every thing you can do with it. :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

newlifeforme Newbie

Everything.

mushroom Proficient

I really miss Angle Food Cake and every thing you can do with it. :huh:

Ah, Lisa, our mathematician :lol:

Lisa Mentor

Ah, Lisa, our mathematician :lol:

:lol: oh my! :lol:

GottaSki Mentor

Glazed Old Fashioned Donut - forgot to have one in the days before going gluten-free - coulda, shoulda - didn't.

Flaky, buttery Croissant --- Ohhhhh

FRESH bread, French or Sourdough - warm with butter --- Ahhhhh

It really is a rare occasion for me to miss any gluten item, but I frequently wish for the ability to go to a restaurant and try whatever their specialty is.

MitziG Enthusiast

Rye bread. How I miss a hot delicious loaf of rye! And obviously, there is no gluten-free sub for that!

mushroom Proficient

Rye bread. How I miss a hot delicious loaf of rye! And obviously, there is no gluten-free sub for that!

And I had the most fantastic, never-fail rye bread recipe :(

Slr38 Apprentice

Oh no! I think I will be gaining a few pounds in the next couple of weeks!

I did not even think of the rye bread...

I wonder if my mom could ( and would) make her German Christmas Stollen with a different flour.

Are any gluten-free beers any good?

No gluten in red wine, right? RIGHT?!

GottaSki Mentor

Red wine is gluten free - and regularly confirmed as such :D

Slr38 Apprentice

Red wine is gluten free - and regularly confirmed as such :D

:lol:

catsmeow Contributor

Krispy Kreme donuts, especially the cream filled bismarcks, deep dish pizza, Mcdonalds cheeseburgers on the fly, artisan breads with butter, biscotti ordered with my coffee, breadsticks from Olive Garden, white wedding cake, Entemens cream cheese coffee cake, Fancy chocolates from chocolate speciality stores, going to fancy bakeries and eating my body weight in scrumptious baked goodies. Oh must I go on....... I'm not quite 3 years out, so I am still fairly new and fairly whiney..

...and just when I finally settled into being gluten free and fairly OK with it, I had to give up dairy and am lost again.....It's been 2 months and I am still adjusting...and starving a lot.

nvsmom Community Regular

And I had the most fantastic, never-fail rye bread recipe :(

MitziG and Neroli, there is an old post on microwaveable buns that had a recipe for "Rye Buns". I haven't tried it yet but it is here (go to page 7) :

This is what it said:

Rye bun

1 egg

1 tsp molasses

2 tbsp almond meal

2 tbsp golden flax meal

1 tbsp brown rice flour

1/2 tsp baking powder

shake of salt

1/2 tsp caraway seed

Make like the original, mixing the egg with the molasses until well beaten, stirring in rest of ingredients until well mixed, and microwaving for 90 seconds. Then turn out of dish and let cool, slice into 4 rounds and make 2 sandwiches.

Yummy RYE BREAD in 2 minutes!!

I make their basic microwave buns all the time for my boys, I just substitute out the almond meal and add 3/4 tbs coconut flour, plus we skip the cocoa and add cinnamon (in the original recipe). My boys love it.

LOL at Lisa!

Greens is a nice beer, but expensive. Estrella Drauma (sp?) claims to be gluten-free to 3ppm but it is started from barley and it made me react quite badly; others do better with it. I haven't tried any other brands... I'm a beer snob but I only had a dozen beers a year at the most... Alas, all that wasted possible beer drinking time. :rolleyes::P LOL

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Nothing

shadowicewolf Proficient

The convinence mostly.... but... if i HAVE to make a list:

Crossont rolls

maple glazed doughnuts

egg rolls

Japanese food in general (yes yes i know i can make my own but still)

Red lobsters stuffed mushrooms

french bread

cinnimon life cereal

honey nut cheerios (NOTHING REPLACES THIS...my poor lost self, the stuff of my childhood).

ramen... yes... i said it...

cookie dough ice cream

oatmeal cookie samwiches

my grandmothers gravy

fried chicken (the good kind not the fast food stuffs)

cheeeeesy bread (yet to find a good replacement)

apple fritters...

I could go on...

Invictus Newbie

Feeling amazingly healthy; like I could conquer the world.

Oh yeah and...

-Devouring an entire NY style pizza with a pint

- Every pasta dish imaginable.

-My favorite: Eggplant Parmesan

-Hot soups in the winter; mainly Pho

...Holy Sh** I think I'm gonna cry

guest134 Apprentice

1. Beer. gluten-free beer is ok, but I was a beer snob before and the fact that I can't have a Brewster's stout or two this winter is really disappointing.

WHAT?!?!?!?! I don't think you are looking in the right places, in fact there are a lot of high end beers available gluten free. Most premium breweries have at least 1 good gluten free beer but they are hard to find in Canada. If I have celiacs I am going to be ordering premium beers in bulk online, they are available everywhere. If I get diagnosed I am going to be drunk for the next month finding which brand appeals to me ;).

nvsmom Community Regular

No no no! LOL I have yet to find a really good substitute for Brewsters stout... or Guinness? Forget about it! LOL

It could be because I am in Canada that they are harder to find, but that's hard for a Canadian beer snob to admit since (ahem) I don't really like American beer. :P ... Don't hurt me! lol

Greens is good but it still tastes like the homebrews we used to make back in university... I dunno. :huh:

guest134 Apprentice

No no no! LOL I have yet to find a really good substitute for Brewsters stout... or Guinness? Forget about it! LOL

It could be because I am in Canada that they are harder to find, but that's hard for a Canadian beer snob to admit since (ahem) I don't really like American beer. :P ... Don't hurt me! lol

Greens is good but it still tastes like the homebrews we used to make back in university... I dunno. :huh:

I live in Ontario, so my stores are limited to the LCBO and Beer store. The beer store only has 1 gluten free brand and the LCBO has 5, however if you are willing to order online there are some really praised gluten free beers that non celiacs drink for the taste. Will give you a few good ones once I know. Also smirnoff ice is gluten free too.

BlackStar Newbie

I'd also love information on gluten free beer. I was so looking forward to stout season...

Archived