Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Not Trying Enough New Foods...scared Of Allergies..

• Please log in to reply

64 replies to this topic

#31 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Why am i ok with potato though??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Another thing I forgot to mention about what helped to make me this phobic was...when my attack first happened I posted about it on here and someone suggested a salicylic acid sensitivity. Which...if you go off of them..then back on..CAN apparently cause anyphylactic shock if reintroduced too quickly etc. But then I eat broccoli and what not with seemingly no problem. And that was listed as being high. Tomato and peppers...paprika...all listed as VERY high in salicylic acid. Potatoes are not.

#33 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

But then I don't seem to quite have that either...

#34 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

And what exactly is the scientific backing or statistics for the shock?

Some food for thought, anything spicy sets my GERD off like mad (reflux). Tomato paste generally is just pure tomato and some mild seasonings (salt, suger?). Ketchup is much akin to that. I'd call out tomatos on that.

At any rate, the internet does not help in this case and often sets us off on "whatgonnahappentomenow" tangents.

Coping thoughts ("its fine, nothings going to happen") can help some.

#35 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Do you think I should never try tomatoes again? Or do you think it's probably just a temporary thing because i over did it? I never had any issues just that one time. Ketchup wasn't the only thing giving me that stuff either but it's the one that sticks out in my mind. I had a lot of that around that time no matter what i ate... eventually it stopped.

#36 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

This was the website someone gave me on here... http://salicylatesensitivity.com/

#37 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Here's a direct link to where they talk about when you re-introduce to be careful. http://salicylatesen...vity.com/info5/

#38 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Perhaps best to go easy on potatoes and eggplant for a while??? Like potatoes not an every day thing? I'm not trying to make you more phobic here, just reinforcing the rotational aspect of eating until your gut gets itself settled down and not so reaction set :) At first I was not too okay with peppers, then I was not at all okay with potatoes, and then came the tomatoes. So at that point I quit eggplant as well, didn't even wait for it :D

The tomato paste, ketchup, pasta sauce and pizza sauce all make sense because they are very concentrated tomato, with all the liquid cooked out of them. So if you were going to react to tomato, that would be the place. And no, I think you may be able to add them back in later, but just give them a break for now. Six months is generally recommended before challenging a food you react to like that.

Yes, a lot of people do react to salicylates. You will just have to test some of them that you do not currently react to, and see what your reaction is. I have no problem with salicylates personally.

Again, people are just making suggestions of things you can explore to see if they are a cause of your problem.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#39 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Been eating potato almost every single day since that incident and that is a lot longer that what I was eating a ton of tomato for so i dunno? The tomato was maybe a few weeks to a month.

#40 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Oh yeah..was also eating amy's palak paneer which had tomato in it but was fine around that time...so not sure wha to think of that. I stopped eating it though because of dairy.

#41 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

I don't have celiac. I don't have food allergies. But I have a lot of other allergies. I have OAS to some nuts. I have a lot of food intolerances. You could start with food allergy tests. Tell them not to test you for wheat. Tell them to test you for the other things. Is there egg in the Scharr crust? Egg gives me a reaction like you had. I can't eat eggs at all.

#42 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

Not sure on eggs actually. Not sure if there is egg in rice chex, or ore ida fries but i don't think so. I'll have to check. I've been having very few processed things and i generally don't eat eggs so i'll have to check that out.

#43 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Don't think there is egg in anything including the pizza crust. Just checked. It does have milk protein and YEAST tho. I did wonder about yeast in my bowel.

#44 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:56 AM

Do you think I should never try tomatoes again?

Oh yeah..was also eating amy's palak paneer which had tomato in it but was fine around that time...so not sure wha to think of that. I stopped eating it though because of dairy.

I don't think we should convict tomatoes so quickly.
Ketchup has more than a couple ingreds, incl corn syrup often & it's probably been awhile for a lot of those ingreds.
Jarred sauces have long lists too. And organic non-GMO tomato sauce/paste/etc is a gamechanger for some.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#45 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Or hey maybe it's just pastes i don't like? I was fine until that..or maybe paprika just doesn't agree with me? Could just be peppers? I know my mother in law can't eat green peppers for whatever reason but if they are cooked she's good ...so many options...kinda scary to someday try and figure out what it could be exactly. How do you get tested for nightshade intolerance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: