This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Did You Go Soy Free?

JodyM75

JodyM75 Apprentice

For those of you who don't eat soy....why?  What were your symptoms?  What are your symptoms if you've been "soy'ed?"  I'm trying to figure out if I need to drop soy as well....many thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MJ-S Contributor

Same as gluten, but with more immediate strong GI symptoms.

Waitingindreams Enthusiast

I started realizing I had a problem with soy about 6 months or so after I was diagnosed. I still had GI problems (especially bloating) and after seeing a naturopath, I realized I needed to start doing elimination diets to try to pinpoint the foods that were causing issues. I had always tried to avoid soy in general, but I had actually never noticed how much it was in the gluten free foods I ate regularly - salad dressing, minute rice, hummus, chips, etc. Once I gave up soy, I felt a lot better. The bloating subsided, as well as the GI issues. I also have a slight soy allergy, according to allergy tests I got done about a month before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Unfortunately, I still have some GI issues due to candida, but I know I definitely need to keep soy out of my diet.

You could just try an elimination diet and see if giving up soy makes you feel better. Good luck! 

• 1 month later...
John Burlingame Explorer

Soy messes me up bad, brain fog, mem loss, panic attacts almost on the hour. 50% lower IQ. Im an absolute mess on soy. Every Soy type bothers me, Im unable to eat any heresies chocolate, all have soy in them. Im at the point I might just make my own candy.

John Burlingame Explorer

Just about Every thing processed has soy, Advil, All pain pills. all my meds have to be compounded. its expensive but keeps soy out of my diet.

kareng Grand Master

Just about Every thing processed has soy, Advil, All pain pills. all my meds have to be compounded. its expensive but keeps soy out of my diet.

Have you seen this list?  Not everything is gluten-free but a lot of them are

Open Original Shared Link

chocolate:

Open Original Shared Link

icelandgirl Proficient

My first 3 months gluten free I felt so much better and then I felt worse...specifically GI symptoms.  At 6 months gluten free I gave up dairy, soy and legumes.  I've definitely seen improvements...but I have no idea which helped me since I stopped all of them at the same time.   :)

Soy free is hard though...soy is in everything!  At Halloween there wasn't a single one of the chocolates my kids got that I could eat...it was sad.  I do get some Enjoy Life chocolate now and then since it's soy free.  I do wonder though...why is soy in everything?  What does it do?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

John Burlingame Explorer

My first 3 months gluten free I felt so much better and then I felt worse...specifically GI symptoms.  At 6 months gluten free I gave up dairy, soy and legumes.  I've definitely seen improvements...but I have no idea which helped me since I stopped all of them at the same time.   :)

Soy free is hard though...soy is in everything!  At Halloween there wasn't a single one of the chocolates my kids got that I could eat...it was sad.  I do get some Enjoy Life chocolate now and then since it's soy free.  I do wonder though...why is soy in everything?  What does it do?  

Soy has been blinded to the public, A bunch of Soy paid Senators pushed it through US that it was ok to eat processed soy. The funny thing is other countries know Processed soy is bad for you. US has just been blinded by greed. I relate Soy to asbestos. At first they new of some issues but it was extremely cheap to produce, not realizing in the long run it destroys you body until someone found a way to show the world it was poison and had it banned. Soy is in everything, IF some one was able to get the gov to listen, all the products in US would have to be thrown out. They could not afford to remove soy at this point. Soy is a food and drug binder, it keeps the product from falling apart. they could easily use another vegetable to use as a binder like corn or sunflower seed. but Soybean is cheaper. they use it on making fruit and vegetables at the grocery store, gives it the shinny look. Its all about the money, not your health.

John Burlingame Explorer

My dad drinks soy milk, he keeps telling me to drink some and see if I have a reaction, I have to keep telling him that it would put me in the hospital, The masses have been told Soy is great for you. Most people just dont understand it kills you off slowly. I grew up on home cook meals, my dad still does, but when I left, I went strait to fast food, and processed foods. It took about 10 years, but my body finally grew tired of soy, I personally thought I had a stroke 6 years back, slowly it got worse, I was about to kill myself and then I saw a show on john Stewart, He had a guest on. talking about my symptoms, and the same reactions when your doctors and family members look at you like your crazy. I cried. And became gluten free. I started to feel good after 24 hours. I went on the diet, went to a restaurant and asked for gluten free food, and got sick after wards. took me a month to weed out that soy was my main issue. I cant drink milk from a glass, but I can eat cheese and products with milk in it.

julissa Explorer

a few weeks after going gluten free 2 years ago, I knew I felt better, but there was just a nagging feeling of unrest in my stomach. I actually went to an allergist for food testing, and she found allergies to dairy and soy. once i got rid of those i was golden. fast forward to a few months ago, some nagging feelings came back, now I've had to cut out chocolate. I think chocolate is the worst thing to lose yet. 

icelandgirl Proficient

a few weeks after going gluten free 2 years ago, I knew I felt better, but there was just a nagging feeling of unrest in my stomach. I actually went to an allergist for food testing, and she found allergies to dairy and soy. once i got rid of those i was golden. fast forward to a few months ago, some nagging feelings came back, now I've had to cut out chocolate. I think chocolate is the worst thing to lose yet.

Thinking about giving up chocolate makes me want to cry...
julissa Explorer

icelandgirl, I can honestly say that giving up chocolate was way worse than giving up gluten, soy or dairy. I remember getting into bed and pulling the covers up over my head after that news 

John Burlingame Explorer

Allot of Chocolate has soy in it. I had to give up my favorite brand, that made me cry. I love chocolate. Now I have to find  Brands that dont have soy, or make my own.

Serielda Enthusiast

Post surgery, when my dr gave me a freaking nearly encyclopedia length list of no no foods. A new hint I found also is watch xantthsn gum, gullar gum and locus bean as well, they have properties that can mimic soy, and corn. Met a new good friend who studies gi disorders and nutrition. After shaking those out as well I noticed I started to see improvements as well.

GFinDC Veteran

I went soy free because I was passing out randomly.  And my joints were sore.  I didn't know soy was the problem, but it was one of the things I hadn't eliminated from my diet yet so I got rid of it.  And over 4 weeks or so my symptoms cleared up.  So it wasn't an instant recovery.  More of a slow improvement.

Now if I eat a little soy in small amounts once in a great while I am mostly ok.  But if I get much of it I have GI symptoms.  Soy lecithin doesn't seem to be a problem for me.  But I still avoid it usually.  Soy flour I never eat.  And soy oil I mostly avoid also.

Soy is used as an emulsifier in some foods.  It's a cheap oil to use in foods.  They use soy in animal feed also.  Soy is a cheap protein source.  Soy can be your friend and make you lots of money.  Har de har...

John Burlingame Explorer

I went soy free because I was passing out randomly.  And my joints were sore.  I didn't know soy was the problem, but it was one of the things I hadn't eliminated from my diet yet so I got rid of it.  And over 4 weeks or so my symptoms cleared up.  So it wasn't an instant recovery.  More of a slow improvement.

Now if I eat a little soy in small amounts once in a great while I am mostly ok.  But if I get much of it I have GI symptoms.  Soy lecithin doesn't seem to be a problem for me.  But I still avoid it usually.  Soy flour I never eat.  And soy oil I mostly avoid also.

Soy is used as an emulsifier in some foods.  It's a cheap oil to use in foods.  They use soy in animal feed also.  Soy is a cheap protein source.  Soy can be your friend and make you lots of money.  Har de har...

Soy is so cheap, all the major brands are using it in there products, Food, Medical, Manufacturing. all about making the most profit. Healthy people or sick people, they still make the profit.

GFinDC Veteran

Yep, right you are John.  100 years ago the people ate real foods.  Now most people seem to eat factory foods.  Its not a great change in some ways.

icelandgirl Proficient

icelandgirl, I can honestly say that giving up chocolate was way worse than giving up gluten, soy or dairy. I remember getting into bed and pulling the covers up over my head after that news

I just want to give you a hug for losing chocolate (((hugs)))...for me that would be hardest. I've found a chocolate that is soy and dairy free...Enjoy Life and am thankful to have it. I hope you still have something to eat that you love.
w8in4dave Community Regular

I went Soy free when I ate some Tuna that was gluten-free, and got sicker than a dog! I read the can and it said Tuna and Soy. Pffttt! So I stay away from soy! Altho once in a while I will eat some so I am not 100% like the other day my daughter bought something and the last thing on the list was soy. So I ate it and was fine. I think my Villi are healing. :) 

I know! I am Corn Free Also, try excluding corn! It is in just about everything! 

julissa Explorer

icelandgirl, thanks for the much needed hug. I had the small dark choc enjoy life bars, and would really love those treats once in a while. just knowing they were there was enough. when I got the evil word on choc I did get quite upset, it was way worse to give up then the rest. now, there really isn't much for that little treat when needed.  :(

it's only food right??

julissa Explorer

soy is in everything processed for the most part. I found the only way to control it all is to eat whole real foods like my grandmother would recognize. the processed prepared stuff had to go. 

icelandgirl Proficient

icelandgirl, thanks for the much needed hug. I had the small dark choc enjoy life bars, and would really love those treats once in a while. just knowing they were there was enough. when I got the evil word on choc I did get quite upset, it was way worse to give up then the rest. now, there really isn't much for that little treat when needed.  :(

it's only food right??

It is only food...but it is still hard.  It really is.  I get it.

soy is in everything processed for the most part. I found the only way to control it all is to eat whole real foods like my grandmother would recognize. the processed prepared stuff had to go. 

Thats what I do. It's really healthier anyway if you ask me. Not all the processed stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
John Burlingame Explorer

I went Soy free when I ate some Tuna that was gluten-free, and got sicker than a dog! I read the can and it said Tuna and Soy. Pffttt! So I stay away from soy! Altho once in a while I will eat some so I am not 100% like the other day my daughter bought something and the last thing on the list was soy. So I ate it and was fine. I think my Villi are healing. :)

Drugs, just about all drugs have soy, advil,Bayer Neosporin, uggg when will it stop.

Archived