Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlessedMommy

Do You Micro Chip Your Pets?

I'm researching about it and am seriously leaning towards microchipping our kitty cat. He's an indoor/outdoor cat (he loves to hunt!) and that would hopefully increase his chances of making it home if he got lost. He wears a collar and engraved ID tag, but of course those can get pulled off or lost.

The Humane Society said that they routinely check every animal who comes in, for a microchip, so that they can determine if they are a lost pet. I adopted our kitty as a stray and before deciding to keep him, I took him into the vet to check for a microchip, because I wouldn't have kept him if he was someone else's lost pet.

If you got one for your pet, how much did it cost? Was the procedure fairly simply and well tolerated by your pet?

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm researching about it and am seriously leaning towards microchipping our kitty cat. He's an indoor/outdoor cat (he loves to hunt!) and that would hopefully increase his chances of making it home if he got lost. He wears a collar and engraved ID tag, but of course those can get pulled off or lost.

The Humane Society said that they routinely check every animal who comes in, for a microchip, so that they can determine if they are a lost pet. I adopted our kitty as a stray and before deciding to keep him, I took him into the vet to check for a microchip, because I wouldn't have kept him if he was someone else's lost pet.

If you got one for your pet, how much did it cost? Was the procedure fairly simply and well tolerated by your pet?

We microchipped a dog we had that we should have named Houdini!   That was 13 years ago, and we just got a new puppy and microchipped him.  We did both when we took them in to be neutered because we were told that the needle was big and although it could be done anytime it was just easier then.   I don't remember the exact cost, but it wasn't pricey and it did cost to "register" them in a database, I think $17.00.   Gives us peace of mind.  

Join eNewsletter

Especially with cats... if they get lost they are unlikely to have or keep on their collar, and will be gone forever if they go too far.  I had a friend who lost his 1 year old cat, found it a few years later sitting in a window two blocks over... apparently he had been two timing the households getting fed, and the lady thought he was a stray and decided to keep him inside... LOL.  That was before microchips came into play.  Nowadays, there really is no reason to not microchip.  I have found dogs running around and taken them to the nearest vet to be scanned, then taken them right home.  It really helps.  Just make sure you update the info you registered them with if you move, etc.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

PLEASE microchip!  I can't tell you how many dogs I have found with no chip.  Makes them harder to get home.  I didn't do it to the cat because she doesn't go out (probably should).  For my dogs- it was no big deal.  Just a shot that they didn't even feel.  

Join eNewsletter

About $40 to chip here on the West Coast. Half the fee goes towards the paperwork. Both my cat and dog are chipped.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

I contacted the Humane Society and they said that Family, Farm, and Home does a clinic every other month. That would help the budget since we are adopting another kitty. 

~Ruth

Gluten free since 2/14/2010 after suffering a rare and serious complication from my gluten challenge

Join eNewsletter

Humane Society told me about a low cost veterinary clinic being held at Tractor Supply. I got both kitties their microchips for a cost of only $15 each. Not bad!

~Ruth

Join eNewsletter

Please microchip your four-legged family members. It is not expensive, and it could save their lives. Even indoor cats should be chipped, because mishaps occur and they escape through an open door. If they have always been indoors they will be lost and won't know how to cope. If found, a chip can make the difference between going home and being put down.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Well said Peter.

Our pup (now dog) was chipped by her breeder and if the breeder hadn't done it, we would have. Most good breeders will not let a pup go to a home until they have made sure it has been chipped.

DO remember as LauraTX said to update the info. with the registry if you move. Do it right away.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

It makes a lot of sense to do it! With low cost vet clinics available, it's financially accessible to most people these days. The Humane Society has enough strays and feral kitties to deal with, that they really don't need to be housing pets. The great thing is that if owners microchip, then Humane Society doesn't have to! (at least not for very long)

~Ruth

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter