This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thyroid Result Questions

kkeg75

kkeg75 Newbie

I've had hypothyroid symptoms for several years. Apparently my doc's office thought so too, since they've sent me for the test many times without me even asking (normally I have to beg). I can only find 3 results in my chart though. I know that there are conflicting answers as to "normal" levels. They always tell me it's normal, and this time the nurse said my TSH was "perfect" at 2.724. They don't run all tests though. This is what I do have:

3/24/15 TSH 2.742 (.35-4.94),  Free T4 .9 (.7-1.48)

9/23/14 TSH 2.591 (.35-4.94),  Free T4 .9 (.7-1.48)

7/26/11 TSH 1.667 (.35-4.94) (The only test done that time)

Should I consider this normal, and just ask them to repeat at my next check up? I guess the changing TSH level concerns me a bit, but I know NOTHING about that. Thank you!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I would  fight  for  the  total thyroid panel.....

Gemini Experienced

If you have one of those docs who only go by the TSH, then you need a new doctor.  While your TSH is not bad, your T4 is in the toilet.  You have to include actual hormone levels in all thyroid testing to see what is going on.  Like the above poster recommended, you need a full panel done!

kkeg75 Newbie

Thank you both!! I will ask for the full panel.

nvsmom Community Regular

I agree.  Your FT4 should be between 1.1 and (close to) 1.3.  Yours isn't in a happy place.

You have one of those really large "normal ranges" for TSH that is not that accepted any more.  My labs are the same, they say normal is up to a 6.  6! Really?  Most labs have ranges that top out at 3 or as low as 2.  I am hypo around a 2.  It might work for others but some people can be hypo when TSH is insto the 2's.

Free T3 is the most useful lab, in my opinion.  A result that is in the 50-75% range of the normal reference range is often what feels best for those with a thyroid problem.  To get my FT3 there, my TSH is really low and looks hyper, but I feel good and do not have hyper symptoms....

There is a lot of variation between people.  A relative of mine takes Synthroid (T4) and feels great when her TSH is near a 3.  Go first by how you feel.

Best wishes.  :)

kkeg75 Newbie

Thank you!!!! That's great info!!

• 2 weeks later...
kkeg75 Newbie

I asked for a full panel and this is what I got. It's all within "normal" ranges, but should T3 be at the top with T4 at the bottom? Thank you for any input!

Thyroid Stim Hormone 2.659 uIU/mL 0.35-4.94

FreeT4 0.9 ng/dL 0.70-1.48

Thyroxine (T4) 5.68 µg/dL 4.87-11.72

Free T3 3.6 pg/mL 1.71-3.71

Thyroid Peroxidase (Tpo) Ab 7 IU/mL 0-34

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Your FT3 looks very good.  FT4  is a bit lower than ideal but not by a lot; considering your FT3 is good (to almost high), it is probably fine.

TSH could be high for some but your hormone levels look pretty good so I don't know...

My guess is that your thyroid is okay, but that is just my guess.  What do you think about it?  Do you think it is fine? 

kkeg75 Newbie

Well..I feel like crap. I'm so "tired" during the day sometimes, it's uncontrollable. I've considered setting an alarm and napping at my desk at work. I just can't keep my eyelids open and my brain just quits. If it isn't the thyroid, I'll look elsewhere. I may have other food issues. (dairy and soy for many years before dx of celiac). I just couldn't find much (online) with a lower t4 and higher t3, except that your body may producing like mad to keep up the t3 but it's still hypo. Or it could just be normal. I haven't a clue!

nvsmom Community Regular

Higher T3 (within normal) is often good.  That's the hormone that actually gets used. Some don't convert T4 into T3 well and have issue with low T3 but high T4 - that's not a problem for you.

The one thing to watch out for, if you do have Hashi's, is the swing from hypo to hyper.  From what I have heard, that is NOT fun.  Try googling it and see it that could apply to you. You don't appear to be hper (according to labs) but it could be something to google/double check.

I know my celiac disease symptoms were VERY similar to my hypo symptoms, so I know that a food sensitivity can make you feel awful too.  A food could be it. 

I hope you find answers soon.  :(

kkeg75 Newbie

It looks as though a couple of the symptoms are the same, such as fatigue, hair. My weight is dead stuck, 10lbs higher than I want, no matter what I do. I did lose 10 lbs last fall though very fast (NOT like me AT ALL). I gained it back and then some. I do occasionally get heart palpitations, and night sweats. Actually the night sweats have been happening since my hysterectomy a year ago, even though I kept my ovaries. 

They actually tested my thyroid once because the doctor said it actually looked swollen from across the room. That was a few years ago, and I was never told the result. ("If we don't call you nothing's wrong").

I'm curious though, since my antibodies aren't high, and I've read that some people's aren't right away with Hashi's, how do they actually diagnose Hashi's?

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm not exactly sure about how they diagnose Hashi's.  Most hypothyroidism is caused by Hashi's, I know that...

My TPO Ab has never been elevated, but my thyroid barely works.  In fact, it is atrophying noticeably.  They first checked my TPO Ab 3 years ago, but I first suspected thyroid problems close to 20 years ago - it was subclinical so the doctors did nothing.  Since I have other autoimmune diseases, it makes sense to assume Hashi's, but I think "thyroiditis" is what my doctor wrote in my file.  

... Hang in there.

kkeg75 Newbie

Thank you! The doctor called and said the results are normal. I will bug them in a few months to re-check though. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

What about other hormones, like estrogen, progestrone? That can cause fatigue, etc. Even though you have your ovaries, things tend to slow down. I read that they barely function at about two years per a hysterectomy. Nice to have even a little though.....

Are you on HRT? That can make a big difference in how you feel. Waking to night sweats is very disruptive to your sleep cycle and can cause irritability and extreme fatigue. I just got back on HRT because my symptoms were making my life unbearable!

That 10 pounds can be directly related to a lack of hormones. Estrogen is in fat cells. Your body will tend to hold on to extra weight if your ovaries are not producing enough estrogen. Do some research.

Take care!

kkeg75 Newbie

I hadn't though about the other hormones! I have a follow up soon, I'll ask about it. Thank you!!

Archived