This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Wish Me Luck With The Doctor

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

I see my doctor on Thursday about hip x-rays I had done a couple of weeks ago.  I developed hip problems and pain about two years ago and I've had my head firmly stuck in the sand since then.  I got the x-ray requisition over half a year ago but kept chickening out. Pain and range of motion got a bit worse again so I finally did it, and then the doctor's office called me a couple of days later to come in...They usually only call if something is wrong, so I'm a bit nervous.  

I'm guessing it is osteoarthritis of the hip but it developed at age 39, which seems a bit young.  It could be RA or something else autoimmune affecting those joints, but I had that checked (by coincidence) around the same time my hip pain started and I appeared clear - fingers crossed.  Or, I could just be really wussy and it's nothing serious.  ;)  I keep worrying and wondering though.  I'd forgotten how annoying the diagnostic process is!

Wish me luck on Thursday.  Send me "wuss" vibes.  LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

icelandgirl Proficient

Hey girl...

(((((Hugs))))) to you! You are in no way a wuss! Medical stuff and the unknown can be scary for sure...I will be thinking positive thoughts for you. Please let us know how it goes!

greenbeanie Enthusiast

Good luck! I hope it turns out that whatever it is, it's easily treatable.

Gemini Experienced

You are not the first person that comes to mind when I think of the word "wuss", and neither am I, but we ALL have our wuss moments.......especially when a doctor is involved.  ^_^   Tests can be scary because you never know what they are going to show.  But I am confident that whatever thay want to talk to you about will be nothing that you cannot handle and kick butt on, Nicole. Please let us know how it all goes and I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending good ju-ju your way!  :)

nvsmom Community Regular

Thank you!  :)  You guys are great.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I hope all goes well!

cristiana Veteran

All the very best.  I completely share your pain - I have on and off hip pain, and really don't like it when the doctor's office rings back!  Just for what it is worth, a chiropractor told me my pain is sacroiliac pain even though sometimes it feels like my whole hip is on fire and needs replacing. SI pain is common in celiacs.  So maybe that is it.  Anyway, hoping all goes well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiacandme Apprentice

Good luck. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

nvsmom Community Regular

It's osteoarthritis, still considered mild - no bone on bone yet, and not rheumatoid. Phew.  I didn't realize how scared I was about rheumatoid arthritis until she told me.  I mainly felt relief, and then some disappointment because at least with RA they can give you drugs to slow the progression of the joint destruction, with osteo... not so much.

So it is "mild" OA with some visible damage but I still have some space in the joint.  I do have bone spurs, so that makes me think that what the doctor called mild is actually moderate hip arthritis, with the left side being slightly more advanced than the right.

The doctors only advice was don't gain weight and exercise.   :rolleyes: I know I need to lose a few pounds(well 40 would be great), and I'm working on that... periodically. ;) But the exercise advice confounds me a bit.  My hips are feeling pretty good, a bit less painful, over the last two or so weeks and I realized that It was probably because I wasn't coaching basketball three times a week... Yanno, I stopped exercising. Sigh.

Vent:

I know, I know.  I should go walking or something instead, but WHY is it that all of my fun sports are becoming so inaccessible for me?!  I LOVED hiking, running, basketball and soccer.  Loved them.  Still coach them and do them when I can, but now I pay for it for days or weeks afterwards.  The sports they recommend for arthritis are walking (yawn), bicycling (yikes and yuck), and swimming (double yuck).  I guess I'll have to walk because I dislike the other two so much that I would rather have pain.  Man, that is really bad luck that the sports I should do, I really, really dislike... or I fall off of frequently.  

Bicycling?  I even disliked it as a young child and only rode it as a way to get places.  I was the 9 year old with training wheels.  Seriously! And I was a tall kid too so I felt extra goofy.  I last rode a bike at age 22.  I still remember that moment: I hit a bad patch of ice, went down hard, and was almost driven over just in front of my apartment building.  I took my bent bike, dropped it (threw it) in the bike rack and never got on again. That thing could still be chained there for all I know.  Enough was enough.  Instead I walked the 4km to school, and back, everyday.  Boring but a lot safer for me.  ;)

And swimming?  Ugh.  I don't even take baths.  I go to the beach to play in the sand - not swim.

Anyway... vent over.

So OA... I hope it doesn't progress any faster than it is.  I'm going to need a hip replacement before I am 50 if this rate of decline keeps up.  

I am seriously disappointed in my body for getting hip OA by time I was 40.  I've had arthritis in my knees since my 20's but it was slow and it was earned by playing hard.  But hip OA by 40?  That seems wrong. That feels old.... Shouldn't I at least have hit menopause first?  LOL

If anyone has good tips for slowing down or dealing with hip OA, which came on fast and furious in only two years, please share.  I have no idea where to go with this.   :unsure:

icelandgirl Proficient

Hi Nicole,

I'm glad you got some answers. I don't know much about OA so I don't have any advice to offer there. I walk and do yoga as my exercise. I used to love hiking and I just don't have it in me like I used to. But a nice walk really feels good to me...maybe it can for you too?

I understand your frustration with your body...I have some about mine too. I'm 43...aren't I too young to feel this way?

Anyway...good for you for going and I hope you get some good advice for your OA!

cristiana Veteran

Some years ago  a nurse told me ginger could be beneficial.  This article is interesting, see what you make of it....

Open Original Shared Link

My dad had arthritis in his knees - I realise a completely different joint - but he did say that keeping weight down really makes a difference. 

nvsmom Community Regular

Hi Nicole,

I'm glad you got some answers. I don't know much about OA so I don't have any advice to offer there. I walk and do yoga as my exercise. I used to love hiking and I just don't have it in me like I used to. But a nice walk really feels good to me...maybe it can for you too?

I understand your frustration with your body...I have some about mine too. I'm 43...aren't I too young to feel this way?

Anyway...good for you for going and I hope you get some good advice for your OA!

Thanks.  :) It is good to have answers.  It's just the control freak in me who is unhappy.  With celiac disease, I control my treatment, and with Hashi's, I found a doctor who would agreed with my thoughts on the matter.  With OA, there is almost nothing to be done until I need a hip replacement, and from the sounds of that, I don't want to do that too early or I'll be hooped in my latter years.

I will get on the walking this weekend.  I'll get a nice audiobook to reward myself while I walk.  It can hurt with getting rid of some weight either.  Who knows, maybe my body will like the wlaking and I'll be able to head into the mountains again a bit more this year.... Ah, a silver lining.  ;)

Perhaps I'll try yoga again.  I've always been unusually inflexible but my hips have gotten much worse.  Even walking stretches them now because I have protected the joint because of the pain (walking hurts somewhat).

I'll get it done by time time I'm done my pity party.  ;)  It could always be way worse right?  It's just a bit of discomfort. I've been dealing with it so far.  ;)

Some years ago  a nurse told me ginger could be beneficial.  This article is interesting, see what you make of it....

Open Original Shared Link

My dad had arthritis in his knees - I realise a completely different joint - but he did say that keeping weight down really makes a difference. 

Ginger... interesting.  I should look into that.  I really dislike taking pain meds and try to avoid them.  I save Ibuprofen to take the edge of migraines or when I have to function well for something special.  Ginger is a good idea.

... I should probably get more regular with my glucosamine too.

Yeah, I notice my weight in my knees too.... Darn sugar.  LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Celiacandme Apprentice

Nicole,

I'm glad to hear it isn't rheumatoid arthritis. Do you like yoga? Is there a yoga instructor in your area that specializes with working with people with osteo? I bet it might be beneficial. Worth checking out. I hope it doesn't progress much/fast. I was wondering about your update.

I just saw your follow up response to someone else and that you mentioned yoga. I know there is a certain kind of yoga that is helpful for this. I have a few different articles and I'll try to find the one that mentions it but still look to see if there is a local instructor that could help you. Or search under yoga for chronic illness and that person might be able to help. Best wishes!

nvsmom Community Regular

Nicole,

I'm glad to hear it isn't rheumatoid arthritis. Do you like yoga? Is there a yoga instructor in your area that specializes with working with people with osteo? I bet it might be beneficial. Worth checking out. I hope it doesn't progress much/fast. I was wondering about your update.

I just saw your follow up response to someone else and that you mentioned yoga. I know there is a certain kind of yoga that is helpful for this. I have a few different articles and I'll try to find the one that mentions it but still look to see if there is a local instructor that could help you. Or search under yoga for chronic illness and that person might be able to help. Best wishes!

Thanks.  :)  Yoga is a nice idea, although almost comical because I am so not a bendy person - my dance teacher had a laugh at me when I was younger.  LOL   I do enjoy some yoga but only do a few home dvd's.  I'm afraid that I won't be attending classes anytime soon.  My husband works in the oil industry and was laid off a few months ago, so we're saving as much as we can.

I am wlaking a bit, and I'm coaching basketball and soccer 4 days a week.  My pain has been declining over the last month or so, so I've been a fairly active coach lately.  It's fun and I love it, I just hurt for a few hours afterwards.  Happily it is in the evening so it is a good excuse to sit on the coach or at the computer.

Thanks for the support!  :)

kareng Grand Master

Yoga is a really really good idea. Try to find a gentle yoga or gentle stretch yoga. Or a yoga for seniors. Even if you aren't a " senior" they will welcome you. Yoga for seniors tends to take into account things like arthritis, etc. I went to one when first diagnosed with Celiac because I was a mess. I still go because I have made friends and I love the emphasis on gentle stretching and balance!

cristiana Veteran

My cousin has just been telling me how helpful Pilates has been.  When I was having some work on my hips and neck my physio said I needed to do it - to do with core strength or something - but I am afraid I still haven't booked onto a course.  But my cousin put another light on it for me - she is a farmer and is always hauling heavy weights about.  But how she says it has helped is she is really thinking through how to move correctly and it is really helpful.  I think when particular joints are under strain this is very important.   

nvsmom Community Regular

When we have an income again, I will may look into those classes.  I dunno if I could do a senior class though - I'm 25 years too early.  LOL

Archived