This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cheating On The Diet

heartfelt

heartfelt Newbie

My question is what happens if you cheat once in awhile?. I was diagnosis 8 months ago and never had one side effect for this disease. I found out by a blood test. I'm really having a hard time convincing my husband this is important, but he  said if you never had any symptoms of this disease how serious is it?

Is there away I can read actually what this disease is and what happens if you cheat so I can have my husband and myself read. I was told me if I cheat I'm back to square one is that true? HELP

I'm new at this page so were do I type a question of my own topic? I can't find any were for this. That's why I'm I asking this question under coping  Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I am curious why they tested you for Celiac?  That isn't a normal blood test.  They must have had a reason.

Read here:

Open Original Shared Link

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms......"

StClair Apprentice

My guess is that everyone reacts differently to consuming gluten, either accidentally or on purpose. I've read here that that there are 300 different symptoms of celiac disease, so your response will probably be unique to you. That said, serious damage can be done without your even knowing about it, so better not to consider cheating on the gluten free diet. I may want to eat a cinnamon roll and see what happens (I do!), but I'm way too afraid of the consequences to try it.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I had life-long anemia which was attributed to 1) my being a woman and 2) a genetic anemia which was masking iron-deficiency anemia related to celiac disease which was caught finally during a routine consult for a colonoscopy (Yep, over 50!). Two months in to my diagnosis, I broke some vertabrae doing nothing. That's when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. I had no tummy issues at the time I was diagnosed.

Why did they run a celiac panel? I too, am curious.

heartfelt Newbie

I am curious why they tested you for Celiac?  That isn't a normal blood test.  They must have had a reason.

Read here:

Open Original Shared Link

"The gluten-free diet is a lifetime requirement. Eating any gluten, no matter how small an amount, can damage your intestine. This is true for anyone with the disease, including people who do not have noticeable symptoms......"

The reason why they did a test is I had my 10 year colonoscopy and they did a biopsy. I ask doctor why they did that and he said he does t with every patient. Then after I have had 2 blood test and very high

kareng Grand Master

The reason why they did a test is I had my 10 year colonoscopy and they did a biopsy. I ask doctor why they did that and he said he does t with every patient. Then after I have had 2 blood test and very high

So you have intestinal damage - whether you directly feel it or not. Have you checked your bone density? Are you anemic? Low on B12, D, etc. those are all things that can be caused by Celiac disease.

cyclinglady Grand Master

Your hubby needs to get serious!

I was shocked at my diagnosis because my husband had been gluten free for 12 years (never tested/bad advice from two doctors). We maintain a gluten-free house. The kid gets her gluten fixes outside of the house. Some households can be mixed but you need safe areas to prepare food and he needs to brush his teeth before kissing you besides other things. Yes, you can get glutened from kissing!

Lucky that you had a celiac savvy doctor! Me too!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

heartfelt Newbie

So you have intestinal damage - whether you directly feel it or not. Have you checked your bone density? Are you anemic? Low on B12, D, etc. those are all things that can be caused by Celiac disease.

I so surprised that I have this not one symptom. They say its hereditary so I had my parents tested and they were fine.  I would of never new if I didn't go to this doctor to have my colposcopy done.  I had a few bone dentistry test  level in that is average and no not anemic. I do take plenty of D and few others  but not sure on B12 how much I'm taking. I will have to check that. what other vitamins should I be taking for celiac disease?

Its just so hard as we travel a lot and never can find restaurants for my needs. Its always salads.

thank you Kareng

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Even in the absence of symptoms, a celiac patient suffers intestinal damage each time they consume gluten. That damage can add up to a lot of health problems, over time.

What a blessing that you were diagnosed! That doctor sounds like a really good one! :)

nvsmom Community Regular

Cheating will set you back a few weeks to a month.  If you cheat repeatedly, it will set you back further because autoantibody levels will start to rise.  The tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG IgA and tTG IgG) can be very slow to change.  I was gluten-free for about a year (with two known accidents in the early months) before my tTG IgA levels came down to normal.  That means that even though I was gluten-free for 363 meals in a year, my intestines were still being attacked and damaged... One year later!

Avoid cheating at all costs.  Eat raw fruits and veggies if you need to.  When we travel, we rent cottages, camp, or bring along camp stoves so we can prepare our food.  It's a pain not eating out while on vacation, but long term health is important.

Here are 300 possible symptoms of celiac disease :Open Original Shared Link As you can see, many of them are not very obvious.  It's no wonder that celiac disease is underdiagnosed.

Celiacandme Apprentice

That's great that your GI doc routinely looks for celiac. I agree with the others - you've got a great doctor! You had an endoscopy at the same time as your colonoscopy?

The book Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic by Peter H.R. Green, MD and Rory Jones is a good one to check out. It easily could help you both learn more about the disease and why it is important to be strict with the gluten free lifestyle.

fran641 Contributor

I have heard that some people have silent celiac. Not in my case. The Peter Green book is very informative. That is the first place I read about lymphoma associated with celiac. I have had 2 forms of lymphoma treated with chemo and radiation. I did great in 2008 until 2010 after my first cancer and I went on a pity party with food! There isn't a pill for my kind of stupid. Again in 2011 cancer hit, worse. I struggled with staying gluten-free for long periods until last year when the most severe pain began every time I had gluten. I guess my body's reaction has increased over the years. Anyway pain is my motivator. Radiation damaged my biliary duct and gallbladder and because of that dairy makes me severely ill. All this and more can be avoided if you avoid gluten completely. It is so worth it.

psawyer Proficient

My short answer about cheating: Don't do it!  Don't even think about it.

You have had some replies that explain why, so I won't belabor the points already made.

cap6 Enthusiast

Cheat and ultimately you sign your own death certificate. Bottom line.

My mother did it. It is not something to mess around with.

Archived