This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor
I've been busy this morning. Got more info on LED treatments....still trying to find out more. Andrea...I got a little feedback on Dr. Elizabeth as well.

Well?

I'm glad you got to talk to someone and every little bit of education will make a difference at some point. Doesn't surprise me that the dentist didn't call you though. He's obviously got his head in the sand. <_<

Two "good bacteria" were non-existant. Overgrowth of Citrobacter and Klebsiella. Candida was one plus, so she said it was not really a concern.

Is this for a couple weeks? Is the Cipro hard on you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
Question - what sort of practice would do testing for this?

My doctor is holistic, but a naturopath does testing too I believe. You can do a provoked urine challenge and/or hair analysis. My doctor uses both so he can get an idea of what minerals need to be supplemented before chelation.

I don't know how accurate it is with fillings but Lisa did her challenge before having her amalgams taken care of.

tom Contributor
I think Tom and I have stopped now. :lol:

Hehe I de-re-disagree? Double negative works?

Yes, debate esta finito; pistol barrels unsullied.

After your Health Care Industry comment, I had to stop and think to make sure the beginning wasn't about *THAT*!!

I'd never defend that pack of weasels.

But for a flash I thought maybe all my undeLymifiable jabbering was misplaced!

Heehee

And I'd never disagree that there's a ghastly amount of bad science and profiteering etc. :ph34r:

Barbara, I found licorice tea soothing when my stomach was very upset, also ginger tea (just use fresh ginger, about a tablespoon grated per cup).

I always meant to try that. An Acupuncturist recommended ginger medallions once. Grated sounds like more gingery goodness into water.

As I putter away at the rinne bars I am making every effort to keep it fun,

Do u whistle while u work?

Tom, you asked about the almond butter. :ph34r: I has a lapse on Sunday, darn them open jars. :angry::lol:

Was that day3? What's the plan now?

Are some attack geese Canadian ones? Did their training include understanding that "oot" means "out"?

"He'p keep'er oot da butta, eh?" :P

jerseyangel Proficient
He's obviously got his head in the sand. <_<

You're being kind, Andrea. I was thinking he had his head elsewhere :ph34r:

AndreaB Contributor

:lol::lol:

DingoGirl Enthusiast

*interrupting your regularly scheduled programming*

oh you guys.

:( :( :( :( :(

I am one sad dingo.

Got the results of spinal xray......it is not good. Severe degenerative disc disease in multiple places, so bone touching bone all over the place. Severe arthritis in three places, lower, middle and upper. He said I have the back of a 90-year-old woman.

This is what I get for all the years of being a bad-a**, the extreme weight-lifting, climbing, skiing, everthing.....but mostly the weightlifting and the car accident. Celiac contributed as well.

So......not one but TWO MRI's on Friday - - 40 minutes each and to say I am claustrophobic would be a severe and mild understatement.....my mom is taking me and I will be FULLY tranquilized as it is hard to keep a caged tiger in a slim tube for 80 minutes and not expect it to go barking mad....the thought of that is enough to render one insane but I will do whatever it takes to make this pain, too long ignored, go away.

I have just gotten home, sort of wandered around in a daze for a couple of hours, and just pondered that, when I finally got my health back......my body is ruined. :( And much of it was due to the stupidity and ferocity of youth - I was squatting w/ the nearly 200-pound bar on my back until almost 40 years of age. HOLY CRAP.

oh, BTW, it was standing on the cement floor at the art store for up to 8 hours a day that really did me in.......things have gotten markedly worse in the last year.

So I'll be getting a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflammatory and also start taking Fosamax for bone density loss (revealed in recent scan).....after MRI we will determine if surgery (I hope so) or what else is an option. Thank God, my new doctor is precious, and smart, and I LOVE him.

I am really grief-stricken....I didn't expect to feel this way. :(

Thank you dear ones for listening to my whining, I haven't even read or caught up with today's posts, I am just going to have a big sob and go lay on the couch. :(

p.s the GOOD thing about knowing this information???? A couple of people said - - oh, you probably just pulled a muscle - - and I wanted to SLAP them as I KNEW it was much more serious than that. harrumph.

tom Contributor
See, this is why I thought I should just pull a Rachel and eat my two remaining open jars! In one sitting...just like the ice cream wipeout episode a few hundred pages ago. :lol:

Oh u two!

THAT's why I never tried a test w/ it around.

<honk> <honk> <HONK!honk>

Gilbert says toss 'em!!

:lol: (his cousin Duckduck agrees)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

Susan, I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope the MRIs go as well as possible and that you are able to find a solution to give you relief. I'll be thinking of you.

Rachel, thank you for posting your conversation with the dentist's assistant. I really admire you for standing up for yourself, and in the process, others who may encounter what you went through. It's a shame you couldn't talk to the dentist himself, but I'm not surprised he didn't talk to you. I've had my fair share of, let's say, interesting, doctors, and accountability is not one of their strong suits.

Hi to everyone else! I hope it's not too hot where you are; it's 90 something here, and we don't have AC in our house. I'm cooking chicken in the oven now, which is not helping matters!

tom Contributor
. . . . . .There are documented cases of people DYING from exposure to mercury (even a chemist he knew, who wore double gloves--the mercury burned right through her gloves, and she eventually died of exposure to the one or two DROPS that touched her skin).

While not at all questioning 99% of what's in the whole post, I can't figure out how this part fits w/ me and other kids playing w/ a few little merc balls in Jr High chem class after a thermometer broke.

I know kids were touching it and I think I even gave a little ball a push w/ my fingernail.

Maybe a mercury compound is caustic?

Hey! The merc in thermometers was replaced by the red stuff!! :blink:

Of course, the precision & accuracy & elimination of "reading errors" are darn good reasons for electronic ones in labs.

:)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My husband is a PhD chemist, and says that ANY chemist knows the toxicity of mercury. That's why mercury thermometers have been replaced with digital ones. There are documented cases of people DYING from exposure to mercury (even a chemist he knew, who wore double gloves--the mercury burned right through her gloves, and she eventually died of exposure to the one or two DROPS that touched her skin).

Your husband knew her? :o

When the 2 drops of mercury touched her gloves there was NO sign of anything. They did not know that it could go through the gloves and into her body leaving no trace. The gloves were intact. She went home that day thinking nothing of it.

I remember reading the story the first year I was sick and learning about mercury.

Months later the neurological symptoms hit hard and because she was a chemist who worked with mercury....she knew what had happened. She knew she was in trouble. They tried chelation...it didnt work and she died...it all happened very fast. :(

Mercury poisoning is well-documented and accepted by the experts--except in the cases where we directly inject it in the bloodstream or put it into people's mouths . Then, all of a sudden, "you can't PROVE it causes harm???!!"

Exactly....its all very well documented. They *know* it....even this woman I taked to today (whoever she was)....she never said it was harmless....only that it cant be PROVEN.

When someome gets sick...you cant PROVE a direct link between the mercury and the CFS....or the mercury and the autoimmune disease....or the mercury and the cancer....or the mercury and the infections...and so and and so on.

No matter how obvious it is when a child regresses into Autism right after an injection containing thimersol....you cant PROVE it was the mercury. No matter how many times it happens you cant PROVE it.

I'm not sure if the woman was an attornery....she was someone who represented that whole clinic....there are several dentists there. She was definately someone informed about mercury...I wasnt talking to someone who was clueless.....she was very well informed and her responses were most likely designed to neither deny nor to accept resonsibility.

I'm thinking regardless of the fact he didnt use a dam he is protected by the ADA. He did not break any laws nor was he negligent in the eyes of the law.

However, they do acknowledge amalgams to be toxic before they are placed in a mouth and after they are removed.....so shouldnt the loose particles swallowed during amalgam removal count as hazardous and toxic material?? This I dont know...but if a dam is in place there is less chance of swallowing the amalgam.

Its against the law for the dentist to dispose of the amalgam in the trash...so why should it be ok for it to fly in bits and pieces down my throat?? :blink:

tom Contributor

No kiddin'!! :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
I am one sad dingo.

I am really grief-stricken....I didn't expect to feel this way. :(

We are here through thick and thin. Right now your in a thin spot so we are here thick for you. I'm here if you ever need to talk.....you know that.

I know someone who's had back surgeries to replace? vertebrae. The last one I knew about before we lost contact with each other was the cage. That was successful for her as far as I know.

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: and LOTS OF HUGS coming your way.

tom Contributor
*interrupting your regularly scheduled programming*

oh you guys.

:( :( :( :( :(

I am one sad dingo.

Got the results of spinal xray......it is not good. . . . . . . .

. . . I am really grief-stricken....I didn't expect to feel this way. :(

Thank you dear ones for listening to my whining, . . . . . .

OMG Susan . . . . . . .

I don't know what to say . . . . . . .pretty rare these days.

But nothing said here is whining. THAT much we all know.

I can't express how badly I feel for u. :(

I hope u check in later. This is a good place.

AndreaB Contributor

happygirl Collaborator
Hmmmm....I thought Tissue Transglutaminase IgA is what they test??

I've never seen TtG IgG results before. :unsure:

I'm pretty sure that some dr's test for that if a person is IgA deficient...I'll have to try to find my source for that. I've heard of it, though.

And Susie, your post made me want to cry. I'm so sorry you are going through this. HUGS to you. We love you!

Edit:

Ok, this isn't where I saw it, but it works, too.

"In individuals with known selective IgA deficiency and symptoms suggestive of celiac disease, testing with TTG IgG is recommended." Open Original Shared Link also Open Original Shared Link

CarlaB Enthusiast
Is this for a couple weeks? Is the Cipro hard on you?

I don't know how hard the Cipro is on me ... it's for 10 days, and a second 10 days if needed.

I'm very happy to know that this could be the root of my stomach issues! I went downhill four years ago after a 21 day round of doxy ... I'd bet that was what messed it up as it was messed up pretty badly before the current meds.

I'm also back on the VSL#3 to try to rebuild the good bacteria.

oh you guys.

:(:(:(:(:(

I am one sad dingo.

I'm so sorry. This doesn't constitute whining ... whining with reason isn't whining ... whiners are people who whine about nothing.

Keep us posted on how you're going to be tackling this new challenge.

Hi to everyone else! I hope it's not too hot where you are; it's 90 something here, and we don't have AC in our house. I'm cooking chicken in the oven now, which is not helping matters!

It got up to 93 here today. It was 52% humidity.

Then it started raining ... not the slow and steady rain that we needed ... we Racheled the rain! Now it's only 73 degrees! It was very windy ... this is the kind of volatile weather that causes tornadoes ... glad it's blown over now.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Susan :(

Of course as Andrea said we are all here for you. You know that I'm sure. Take all the time you need and we'll be here to support you whatever you need to go through. :wub::wub::wub:

It sounds like you've got a very good Dr. that you trust so thats a start. Hopefully one day you wont be dealing with the constant pain and you'll be a very happy dingo.

Hang in there girl. We love you.

{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}

tom Contributor
I'm very happy to know that this could be the root of my stomach issues!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaahoo!

I went downhill four years ago after a 21 day round of doxy ... I'd bet that was what messed it up as it was messed up pretty badly before the current meds.

What's doxy?

happygirl Collaborator

doxy=doxycycline, an antibiotic.

mouse Enthusiast

I am so sorry Susan that you are going through so much. Pain is not fun in any form. I am also claustraphobic (sp) and one MRI tec recommended a wash cloth over my eyes. She said no matter how much I said I would keep my eyes closed, I would open them. It worked. And I also concentrated on the drum beats in the tunnel and that helped a lot. May God help you through this severe setback. Sending lots of HUGS your way.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
While not at all questioning 99% of what's in the whole post, I can't figure out how this part fits w/ me and other kids playing w/ a few little merc balls in Jr High chem class after a thermometer broke.

I know kids were touching it and I think I even gave a little ball a push w/ my fingernail.

Maybe a mercury compound is caustic?

There is much misinformation about mercury, its various forms and its dangers. Three different types of mercury exist, varying in their levels of toxicity. They are elemental mercury, inorganic mercury and organic mercury.

Elemental mercury

Mercury is an extremely heavy, odorless, silver colored liquid. Mercury exists as a natural element in the earth's crust. Elemental mercury is also known as metallic mercury, liquid mercury, liquid silver and quicksilver.

What are sources of exposure to elemental mercury?

Sources of elemental mercury in the home include broken mercury thermometers, broken fluorescent light bulbs, dental amalgam fillings, mercury containing latex paints, extraction of gold from ore using mercury, and contaminated clothing from workers in thermometer making plants. Elemental mercury is also used as a Mexican folk medicine to treat "empacho," a chronic stomach disorder.

How toxic is elemental mercury?

Of all the forms of mercury, elemental mercury is the most commonly swallowed form of mercury, usually from a broken thermometer. Fortunately, elemental mercury from a thermometer is not absorbed from the stomach and will not cause any poisoning in a healthy person. In a healthy person, the slippery swallowed mercury will roll into the stomach, out in to the bowels and will be quickly eliminated without causing any symptoms.

A person with severe inflammatory bowel disease or those with a fistula (hole or opening) in their gut may have problems with mercury if it is not all cleared out, resulting in prolonged exposure.

Handling liquid mercury for a very short period of time usually does not result in any problems. An allergic rash is possible, though. Mercury is not well absorbed across the skin so skin contact is not likely to cause mercury poisoning, especially with a brief one-time exposure. Even if a person has cuts in their skin, mercury is too heavy to be contained by a cut. Merely washing the wound well will wash the mercury out of the wound.

Can elemental mercury be dangerous?

Inhalation of elemental mercury vapors is the main cause of toxicity, as mercury is well absorbed by the lungs.

To develop problems by inhalation you need either a large one-time exposure or a long-term exposure. A small, one-time exposure is not likely to cause problems.

Inorganic Mercury

Inorganic mercury compounds are known as "mercuric salts." Some of the mercuric salts include: mercuric chloride, mercuric iodide, mercuric nitrate, mercuric sulfide, yellow mercuric oxide, red mercuric oxide, ammoniated mercury, mercurous chloride and mercurous acetate.

What are sources of inorganic mercury compounds?

Some folk medicines from outside the United States contain high amounts of mercury that can cause mercury poisoning. Two common mercury compounds are calomel and cinnabar.

Organic Mercury

What are sources of organic mercury?

Organic mercury compounds are found in a variety of products. They are used medically as fungicides and antibacterials. The most common organic mercury compounds in the home may well be mercurochrome (merbromin) and merthiolate (thimerosal), two common antiseptics. Fortunately, small ingestions by children rarely cause major problems.

What is the most common source of organic mercury poisoning?

In the general population, the main source of mercury poisoning is the ingestion of mercury- contaminated food, usually fish. When lake, river or ocean water is contaminated with methyl-mercury compounds, the mercury accumulates and magnifies in the flesh of the fish. Organic mercury concentrations can be more than 1,000 times greater in the fish than in the surrounding water. People who eat fish as a main component of their diet may be at risk. If a river or lake is known to be polluted with mercury, fish eaters are warned to decrease their weekly intake of fish.

Organic mercury compounds are very damaging. They are toxic by ingestion, inhalation, and skin and eye contact. These mercury compounds can attack all body systems. They can cause nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain, diarrhea, kidney failure, skin burns and irritation, respiratory distress, swollen gums and mouth sores, drooling, numbness and tingling in the lips, mouth, tongue, hands and feet, tremors and incoordination, vision and hearing loss, memory loss, personality changes and headache. Allergic reactions can also occur.

Methyl-mercury, usually from contaminated food, is very dangerous to pregnant women. Methyl-mercury causes profound mental retardation, cerebral palsy, seizures, spasticity, tremors, and incoordination, along with eye and hearing damage in the unborn baby as a result of the mother's exposure. Organic mercury passes into the breast milk as well.

How do I clean up a spill from a broken thermometer?

Before beginning the clean up, change into old clothes and shoes that can be thrown away if they get contaminated with mercury.

NOTE: If you are wearing gold jewelry, either remove the jewelry or wear good protective gloves. If the liquid mercury contacts the gold jewelry, the mercury bonds permanently to the gold and ruins it. Wearing gloves is a good idea to prevent mercury from lodging under the fingernails while cleaning.

Increase ventilation in the room with outside air and close the room off from the rest of the house. If available, use fans for at least one hour to help ventilate the room.

Pick up the mercury with an eyedropper or scoop up beads with a piece of heavy paper (e.g., playing cards, index cards).

Wide sticky tape such as duct tape can also be used to pick up any glass particles and mercury beads.

Powdered sulfur (which can be purchased at garden supply stores) can be used to bind any remaining mercury. When the sulfur combines with mercury the sulfur turns from the usual yellow color to brown. Continue to use sulfur until there is no longer a color change. Keep in mind that sulfur can be irritating to the skin, nose, throat and eyes. Sulfur may also stain fabrics.

Place the mercury, contaminated instruments (dropper/heavy paper) and any broken glass in a plastic zipper bag. Place this zipper bag in a second zipper bag and then in a third zipper bag (triple bag), tightly sealing each bag with tape. Place the bags in a wide-mouth, sealable plastic container.

Throw away everything that may have been exposed to the mercury including towels, bedding, clothes if they were contaminated.

Call your local health department for the nearest approved mercury disposal location. If disposal at such a location is not possible, dispose of the plastic container according to state and local requirements.

If weather permits, leave windows open for approximately two days to make sure the area is completely ventilated.

Wash hands very well with soap and water afterwards. Shower well if you think any mercury touched other parts of your body.

You can read the story of Karen Wetterhahn....the scientist killed by 2 drops of dimethylmercury here...

Open Original Shared Link

Rachel--24 Collaborator

From the previous link..

All mercury is toxic, but each form is toxic in its own way.

"You can hold the silvery liquid mercury from a thermometer in your hand and nothing would happen," says John Winn. "The danger of liquid mercury is in its vapor."

That

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Your husband knew her? :o ....

I'm not sure when they crossed paths, but his specialty is NMR spectroscopy, and I think they were both members of SACP. When we first found out about thimerosal being in vaccines, he was absolutely livid, and kept talking about her.

I'm not sure if the woman was an attornery....

attornery? That's perfect!!! :D

tom Contributor
dimethylmercury

Ah thx. Lotta words.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Susan, you are NOT whining, and I hope and pray that it's all fixable, and SOON.

Archived